OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Book review thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:43 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I couldn't find the old one- if it still exists.

Currently reading Slap Shot Original by Dave Killer Hanson. Lots of behind the scenes stories of the making of Slap Shot. Some really funny stuff. The "Hansons" treated the actors like players- including giving a rookie shave to the guy who played Dave Killer Carlson.
Coolest part about it all is that the "Hansons" have raised millions of dollars for various charities since the 70s. I had no idea they did that much work. He says they learned from Paul Newman. That kicks more ass than they did on the ice.

Also funny to read some input from the actors, who say things like "I've done 32 other movies in the past 3 decades, but people only want to talk about my role in Slap Shot."
Stories from various NHL GMs, etc.

I am about 5/8 through it and give it 4 out of 5 pucks so far.

Post subject: Re: Book review thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:26 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Currently just finished two audiobooks (guess we can't call them "books on tape" anymore) by Brad Meltzer. "The Book of Lies" was a well-done mystery involving the murder of Abel by Cain and the creator of Superman, Jerry Siegel and how both tie into the chase for an ancient artifact. Yes, it seems bizarre but it's well done, as far as murder mysteries go at least. His latest effort, "The Inner Circle," reads very similar to that one with a few different plot points--more ancient government secrets and conspiracies throughout history than The Book of Lies...but the ending to Inner Circle leaves much to be desired. I'm guessing he'll write a sequel to this but I'm still pissed there was very little payoff. I highly recommend The Book of Lies, and pass on The Inner Circle.

Next up is Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom," which everyone, including Oprah, has been raving about.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:44 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Currently reading 2 books:

The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks

I read this way back when it was first published and I thought I'd enjoy re-reading it. Good summertime fantasy escapism. Not the same level as LOTR but enjoyable none the less.

Nero's Killing Machine: The True Story of Rome's Remarkable 14th Legion by Stephen Dando-Collins

I enjoy reading anything about ancient Rome - this is an excellent book if you enjoy Roman history in general and Roman warfare in particular.

Both of these I'm reading on my newish Kobo e-book reader - I'm going to review that at some point as well.

The last book I finished was The Road to Fatima Gate by Michael Totten. It's about Lebanon during the period of the last Hezbollah/Israel war from the author's perspective who lived there as a journalist at the time. Good Stuff. I actually respect the author enough that I have an autographed copy of this book.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:49 pm 
King of Men

Earth In Upheaval by Immanuel Velokovsky

Written in response to critcs of his 1950 work Worlds in Collision, in which he presented literally interpreting myths and traditions as being actual global catastrophes. Velokovsky attempts to provide geological evidence to support his earlier work.

Velokovsky is a bird of a different feather. I never intended to read the first book as I'd rather read something based on facts. That being said facts are open to interpretation and fairly dry. There are good arguments against natural selection and length of the ice age. As well as thought provoking ideas on periodic extinctions and land mass alteration. I would assume that all of these ideas were presented in World In Collision. In fact I may have enjoyed that read better as certain segments of this book seemed to hover over vague evidence and then a stretch to conclusion.

If nothing else his ideas are thought provoking even if some are a little far fetched. To truly scoff at his ideas should be considered narrow minded and dogmatic.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:25 pm 

Just finished "the Secret Life of Lobsters". Very well written book that blends lobster ecology, lobster fishing history, and human interest. Lots of funny stuff and great info on everyone's favorite crustacean (unless of course you follow a Kosher diet).

I may as well also admit that I read the entire Harry Potter series over the summer. Was supposed to read it "with" my 8 year old, but she got bogged down in things like playing outside. I have to say I was very happily surprised with the plot twists in every book! All too often when reading books for adults I foresee the ending 2/3 through the book. Can't say I could with these books for kids. I always thought I knew, then was surprised.
And they have taught my daughter one of the best lessons in life: The movie always sucks in comparison to the book! (Exception being the Shawshank Redemption)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:43 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
And they have taught my daughter one of the best lessons in life: The movie always sucks in comparison to the book! (Exception being the Shawshank Redemption)

The movie is amazing, but I still liked the Shawshank Redemption novella.

I didn't like Big Fish the book at all compared to the movie. I think I need to give that a re-read.

I've re-read the first four George R.R. Martin books in the Song of Ice and Fire series, and I'm on the new one, Dance with Dragons.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:56 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/books ... wanted=all

Sometimes book reviews are better than books. Kathryn Schulz takes on Dan Gardner's "Future Babble".

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:44 pm 

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I didn't like Big Fish the book at all compared to the movie. I think I need to give that a re-read.

I've re-read the first four George R.R. Martin books in the Song of Ice and Fire series, and I'm on the new one, Dance with Dragons.

Will be curious to hear your thoughts on Dance with Dragons.......finished it a month ago.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:31 pm 

Just finished an audiobook w/the wife on a road trip--Harlan Coben's "Live Wire." For those of you who don't know who Myron Bolitar is, well let's just say the stories and characters that inhabit them are as outlandish as the protagonist's name. Nevertheless, unlike a lot of mystery writers I come across (looking right at you, Sue Grafton) he hasn't yet gotten stale.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:29 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Will be curious to hear your thoughts on Dance with Dragons.......finished it a month ago.

Sorry for the late response. Enjoyed it, want him to stop killing off characters I like and get rid of the Sansa storyline(though I can't remember if that was in the new book...they all just flow into one now).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:50 pm 
King of Men

A Walk In The Woods

A writer with a wicked dry sense of humour attempting to hike the AT with his non svelte buddy. Provides some good historical insight into the AT and hiking matters as well.

A nice light read that had me laughing out loud during parts.

Recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:36 pm 

I'm about to start "At Home" by Bryson, bought it on sale at the bookstore. Have it sitting on my nightstand.

He's definitely one of the better ones out there. I do want to read that one, though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:08 pm 

saskhab wrote:
I'm about to start "At Home" by Bryson, bought it on sale at the bookstore. Have it sitting on my nightstand.

He's definitely one of the better ones out there. I do want to read that one, though.

A couple of chapters into this book now, and it's awesome. But then again, I love social history.

He writes about his house (an 19th century country parsonage in England), and the history of the rooms within it. As in, the history of the hall, the history of the kitchen (not his kitchen, per se), etc. It's fascinating, and great for etymology as well (i.e. how cabinet came to be a place for storage as well as the inner most circle of a government).

I'm already recommending this book, and I'm not even a fifth of the way through it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:40 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
A Walk In The Woods

A writer with a wicked dry sense of humour attempting to hike the AT with his non svelte buddy. Provides some good historical insight into the AT and hiking matters as well.

A nice light read that had me laughing out loud during parts.

Recommended.

I'll have to look for that. The AT is pretty close to here & I've hiked various parts many times. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:25 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Game of Thrones - 4 book bundle, currently on Book 3 (A Storm of Swords) - Holy crap what a great book. Was up until five am reading this and I'm still not even a 1/3 of the way through this book. Book 1 is good, 2 is just ok, but my God, Book 3 is... It's full of stars...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:36 am 

McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy is frigging hysterical & a great insight into Irish people. Giving it to my parents before they go to Ireland for their first time this summer, as a sort of brush-up on the culture. I find it's better than any travel guide could be; far more realistic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:35 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Some Christmas Flight reading:

Not bad but not as good as some of his early work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:40 pm 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

"The War That Ended Peace"-1900-1914 Margaret Macmillan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:08 pm 

Finishing up the Hunger Games with "Mockingjay." While the first two were understandably written for a YA audience, this one feels like it was meant for a 5-year-old. Also: Jennifer Lawrence will have her work cut out for her trying to keep her character from being as insufferable as her literary counterpart is. They're honestly gonna split this into two films!? Ugh.

I think the concept itself is brilliant, I just wish it had been executed a little better.

Also, I get the feeling Suzanne Collins looked at "Panem et Circenses" and derived the name of her fictional nation without initially knowing what "Panem" even meant.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:21 pm 

Jay- I got A Walk in the Woods, audiobook version. Great stuff. I'm about 1/3 in & digging it.