OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:20 am 
King of Men

Not sure what these companies are thinking (other than how can we milk another dime out of these sheep).......in particular Wendy's and now theme parks?

To experience "surge pricing" you only need to look as far as your rideshare program.......when you actually really need a ride to the airport its no longer the normal $40 to $60...but since its in rush hour its $100 plus.

I am not sure what consumer enjoys the idea of going out with one price and then being violated by another....probably those same consumers that like 2 factor authentication, biometrics or being told that you cannot avoid our ads and must watch them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:57 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Wendy's killed their surge pricing idea within 24 hours due to the public backlash the mere mentioning caused.

But surge pricing exists in plenty of places in our economy. Peak vs off-peak train fares, plane tickets around holidays, gas prices on holiday weekends, etc. The travel industry is very guilty of this and has been for a long time. Hotels have been doing it forever too. I guess they're part of the travel industry.

I find it disgusting. Others view it as the free market doing its thing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:13 am 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
Wendy's killed their surge pricing idea within 24 hours due to the public backlash the mere mentioning caused.

But surge pricing exists in plenty of places in our economy. Peak vs off-peak train fares, plane tickets around holidays, gas prices on holiday weekends, etc. The travel industry is very guilty of this and has been for a long time. Hotels have been doing it forever too. I guess they're part of the travel industry.

I find it disgusting. Others view it as the free market doing its thing.

Right, I also find it disgusting and predatory....this is why I can never go anywhere around my birthday which is around the holidays.....because the prices are all jacked up.

If you are rich....you don't give a shit....and you do it because you can. But if you are part of the other 95% then this type of behaviour just serves as another method to keep you down.

Sadly, what consumers will need to combat this capitalistic nickel and diming are AI programs that crawl the net giving lower prices on items you may want to buy. I already perform this type of action on Amazon by adding things to my wishlist and tracking them with camelcamel. This doesn't help some of these things with surge pricing which just hold consumers hostage (rideshare in a snowstorm).