OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:57 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Mad Men may or may not have been the greatest television series of all time, but it was without a doubt the most beautifully shot one.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/tele ... n_run.html

Apparently in that iconic new office scene, Jon Hamm reveals he missed his mark, which is why Don isn't perfectly framed in a window like the others. But really I kinda like that he isn't.

This is my personal favorite, the final scene in season 5. There's so much signified here as Don walks away from what looks like an elaborate soundstage only to reveal how tiny and insignificant it really is, then to walk into a bar James Bond-style while the theme to "You Only Live Twice" drones on.

I hear True Detective is about the only show that comes close to the cinematic-level direction we saw on this show, which is why that one's in the queue. Can't wait to sit down and watch that.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:38 am 
OTP Historian

True Detective is awesome.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:34 pm 

Unresolved character arcs from Mad Men: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/19/mad-men-loose-ends

The strangest character arc to me had to be Harry Crane's. Went from bumbling-but-still-somewhat-likable idiot to lecherous creep. I guess with so many characters seeking redemption, one had to go the other direction. Or perhaps someone had to fill the role of pretentious asswipe left by Paul Kinsey. I was always hoping he'd dump his horrible wife and run off with Hildy. Oh well. The one and only Harry-centric episode (Paul turns up as a frickin' Hare Krishna) was by far the weirdest episode of the entire series, and that's counting that whacked-out "Dr. Feelgood" episode where Ken Cosgrove tapdanced.

Of course the most indelible image of Harry Crane will always be this moment:

Fucking Lois. Worst secretary EVER.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:37 am 

Holy shit Daredevil might be the best thing Marvel's come out with yet, TV or movie. Just got through season 1, I'm skeptical about them piling on two more individual series and then having everyone team up in a fourth show, but maybe they can make it work.

Possible spoiler warning...

Also skeptical on whether they'll be able to keep up the momentum with the possibility of Vincent D'Onofrio possibly not returning or playing a very diminished role. Also kinda bummed they killed of a major supporting cast member who really breathed life into the series. I suppose they didn't have much of a choice though.

Major hints dropped of long-time villain the Gladiator near season's end, along with Elektra. Charlie Cox has said he wants the Punisher to show up, which would be perfect since he plays much better as a supporting cast member than a star (you can only write so many guy-shoots-a-bunch-of-bad-guys stories before they get boring) but I'm guessing they're saving him for a big-screen splash. No mention or hint of Bullseye yet, no way is he not gonna show up eventually.

D'Onofrio's take on the Kingpin was transcendent and my favorite part of the show. That's been my favorite part of the Marvel live-action universe--when an actor/actress takes the part and runs with it, imbuing that character with depth we never saw in the comics. Robert Downey, Jr., Anthony Mackie, Tom Hiddleston, Scarlett Johansson, and I'd definitely put Vincent D'Onofrio's performance right up there with them. I'm thinking that kind of performance, along with some overly "safe" writing, is what's ultimately holding back Agents of SHIELD.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:15 am 
Big in Japan

I chugged the new season of Bojack Horseman in a day. Still processing it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:27 am 
King of Men

Ballers on HBO is pretty good. Agents following around spoiled millionaires!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:28 pm 

Holy shit, We're 9 episodes into Sense8 and it's been phenomenal. The Wachowskis should make their next film with J. Michael Straczynski because this is the best thing they've come out with since The Matrix. Far and away my favorite thing on TV right now, which is something since Mr. Robot has been fantastic as well so far.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:58 am 
Old Man of the Post

harmfuljays wrote:
Ballers on HBO is pretty good. Agents following around spoiled millionaires!

Agreed. Enjoying this one with Mrs. tCL...

Av-merican wrote:
Holy shit, We're 9 episodes into Sense8 and it's been phenomenal. The Wachowskis should make their next film with J. Michael Straczynski because this is the best thing they've come out with since The Matrix. Far and away my favorite thing on TV right now, which is something since Mr. Robot has been fantastic as well so far.

Will have to check that one out. Also heard some good things about Mr. Robot. Is that a knock off of the BBC's Humans? Humans isn't bad; the first season is ok, I'm still waiting for it to get better...

The Last Ship got boring fast...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:25 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Will have to check that one out. Also heard some good things about Mr. Robot. Is that a knock off of the BBC's Humans? Humans isn't bad; the first season is ok, I'm still waiting for it to get better...

Do you mean AMC's Humans? Completely different show if that's the case. Despite the name it's not sci-fi at all.

It should be noted Mr. Robot has one of the best scores/soundtracks on TV. All electronica that sounds like the original Tron on crack. And they also manage to sneak in the classic Tangerine Dream track "Love on a Real Train." Trust me, you've heard it before.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:01 am 

An oral history of the Six Feet Under series finale, hands down the best and most satisfying TV wrap-up of all time.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/12/six-feet ... story.html

Didn't know this, but a then-relatively unknown Canadian band by the name of Arcade Fire wrote a song for the finale.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:46 am 
OTP Historian

Futurama had many amazing series endings.

The Office's ending was fantastic. I liked it better than Parks and Rec.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:06 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Bosc wrote:
Futurama had many amazing series endings.

The Office's ending was fantastic. I liked it better than Parks and Rec.

Parks and Rec's finale was awful. Only Jerry's ending was actually funny.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:56 am 
OTP Historian

First season of Fargo was great. Enjoyed it a lot. Just realized now that Gus is Tom Hanks' son.

As per google:
Quote:
Fargo
American comedy series

It has some really funny moments, but I really wouldn't describe it as a comedy that's for sure.

Looks like it is following a similar format as True Detective with each season, and I figured what route they were going for the second season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:31 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Holy shit Daredevil might be the best thing Marvel's come out with yet, TV or movie.

Anam and I are watching this. 3 episodes in and we both really like it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:12 pm 
Big in Japan

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-sta ... nuary-2017

New Star Trek series coming 2017. On CBS All Access. (Digital subscription channel.)

I don't know about this. The last two series' really lost the plot.

Enterprise was a crap attempt to justify the Iraq war.
Voyager pitted a single ship against the Borg Continuum in the most implausible David v Goliath battle ever.

Both had boring crews full of generic Starship Trooper Yankees.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:32 pm 

E.L. wrote:
http://www.startrek.com/article/new-star-trek-series-premieres-january-2017

New Star Trek series coming 2017. On CBS All Access. (Digital subscription channel.)

I don't know about this. The last two series' really lost the plot.

Enterprise was a crap attempt to justify the Iraq war.
Voyager pitted a single ship against the Borg Continuum in the most implausible David v Goliath battle ever.

Both had boring crews full of generic Starship Trooper Yankees.

Egads...I hate that show even more now.

Trek will never evolve until they quit tiptoeing around the ironically conservative fanbase. The franchise grew waaaaaay too stodgy didn't boldly go anywhere by the time Voyager stumbled onto the scene. That show was doomed from the moment it aired, anchoring a doomed network. Could've been the best Trek ever, yet it was the show set on a frickin' space station that was by far the most daring and ambitious. Too bad Berman managed to fuck up that one too in the final season when he should've just stayed away.

Voyager was set in the far reaches of unknown space, and yet they ended up running into wannabe Klingons, Borg, and a fucking Klingon ghost barge. Apart from the holographic doctor, there wasn't a single character worth giving a damn about. Even the "best ever" episode wasn't tremendous (The Thaw, featuring Michael McKean as a weirdo space clown). Conversely, DS9 featured the most widely celebrated episode ever "The Visitor" and "Trials and Tribble-ations" managed to pay homage to the original series in the most perfect way. The other series tried and failed.

Enterprise lost me when they revealed that the utterly disastrous first contact between humans and Klingons hinted at in the fantastic TNG episode "First Contact" was nothing more than a curse word.

The last film also paid lip service to the fanbase when they absolutely shouldn't have. I sure as hell hope the next film doesn't. Trek doesn't need to piss the Trekkies off, but they need to be willing to risk pissing them off.

I probably won't watch. I'm kind of over reboots anyway. Despite the fact that the Star Wars films might actually be pretty great, I wish Hollywood would quit rehashing old ideas.

I will say that TNG has aged quite well apart from the god-awful costumes. The writing and acting still holds up. Still a bit too much technobabble for my tastes though. Kinda wish they'd get a cool swan song, because Star Trek: Nemesis was utter bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:33 pm 

Preacher looks like it's gonna be fucking amazing. I can't wait for the protests and boycotts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:34 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Ash vs Evil Dead first episode was everything it should be. Let's Bruce Campbell be Bruce Campbell and then throws in a bunch of comedic blood and gore with a couple of extra characters that where enjoyable.

Fantastic!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:06 am 

Hounsy wrote:
Ash vs Evil Dead first episode was everything it should be. Let's Bruce Campbell be Bruce Campbell and then throws in a bunch of comedic blood and gore with a couple of extra characters that where enjoyable.

Fantastic!

Too bad I don't have Starz, otherwise I'd be watching.

Supergirl is off to a pretty rough start, but the lead is from my part of town (Littleton, CO) and she looks effin' amazing in that suit, so I'm giving it the season pass.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:06 am 
King of the One-Liner

Av-merican wrote:
Too bad I don't have Starz, otherwise I'd be watching.

Heard they stream the show on the Starz site in the US.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 57  Next