OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:17 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Started now on Loki season 2. I've been a little lukewarm on recent Marvel TV offerings. She Hulk was entertaining but by no means a masterpiece, as was Moon Knight, and I just have no desire to sit down and watch Secret Invasion for various reasons. But Loki is a different animal. Been looking forward to this one since it's fairly important to the events of the whole multiverse schtick and what not, and for fun they happened to add another guy who just won an Oscar for starring in a multiverse-themed film in Ke Huy Quan.

The production design team must have an absolute blast with this show what with making up sets and gadgets that are futuristic, yet look like they're from the late sixties. They just suited up Owen Wilson in some ridiculous sumo-sized EVA suit with an outsized triangular-windowed helmet and it was magnificent.

The one problem: Jonathan Majors. Marvel and Disney made a pretty big commitment in hiring him to play Kang the Conqueror, the next Big Bad of the Avengers films, and of course here he's playing a few of the countless alternate versions of that character. He's a great actor but his off-camera troubles only seem to be getting worse, how long before Marvel does something they really don't like to do and recast him?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:22 pm 

https://ew.com/tv/bruce-willis-moonligh ... ivre-gone/

Good news, Moonlighting is now streaming (can't believe it took this long) on Hulu.

Bad news, according to the show's creator, he's visited with Bruce Willis and the latter has deteriorated to the point where he's "not completely verbal" and at times doesn't recognize people.

The verbal thing is understandable given the continued progression of his dementia and resulting aphasia, but I'm sad to hear it's severely affecting his cognitive abilities so profoundly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:31 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:

The one problem: Jonathan Majors. Marvel and Disney made a pretty big commitment in hiring him to play Kang the Conqueror, the next Big Bad of the Avengers films, and of course here he's playing a few of the countless alternate versions of that character. He's a great actor but his off-camera troubles only seem to be getting worse, how long before Marvel does something they really don't like to do and recast him?

I've wondered about this as well, and I've come to the conclusion that it would not bother me a bit. They need to get it done sooner than later though.

And you forgot Ms.Marvel, which was slow but became so good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:50 pm 

Ah, yes. Ms. Marvel, that one was definitely good. And that also reminds me that Wandavision was also quite enjoyable, but IMO it went the opposite route. Started out fantastic and petered out a bit at the end.

That show and Ms. Marvel both set up The Marvels which looks to be really good. I actually really liked the first Captain Marvel film.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:10 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Ah, yes. Ms. Marvel, that one was definitely good. And that also reminds me that Wandavision was also quite enjoyable, but IMO it went the opposite route. Started out fantastic and petered out a bit at the end.

That show and Ms. Marvel both set up The Marvels which looks to be really good. I actually really liked the first Captain Marvel film.

I've watched like 2 Wandavision episodes. Can't bring myself to watch the rest.
Nobody in my family wants to watch Ms. Marvel, as they've heard it's awful and I'd feel creepy being the only one to watch a show about a teenage girl. :lol:
Captain Marvel was great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:22 am 

Chris18 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

I've watched like 2 Wandavision episodes. Can't bring myself to watch the rest.
Nobody in my family wants to watch Ms. Marvel, as they've heard it's awful and I'd feel creepy being the only one to watch a show about a teenage girl. :lol:
Captain Marvel was great.

I also only watched 2 Wandavision episodes, wasn't my thing. But Ms. Marvel is good, its take on urban culture, and immigrant culture in particular makes it quite worthwhile. Its not a dark show if that is your thing and it does take a few episodes to get into it but worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:06 pm 
OTP Historian

Anam loved(and I enjoyed it too) Ms. Marvel, particularly the stuff where they visit Karachi(where she was born and spent the first few years of her life). That stuff is meaningful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:04 pm 

Ohhhhhhh...Earn. Jesus, man. I did not see that twist coming.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:31 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:

Are you done? If so what did you think of Liam Neeson?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:15 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Oh no, not yet. I just saw "The Homliest Little Horse," episode four of the final season. But yes I did see the episode of which you refer and damn, that was something. Quite poignant when he said as he exited "Us white people don't have to learn anything if we don't want to." Ain't that the truth.

Poor Alfred has the absolute worst time when he gets his own solo episodes. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:38 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Oh no, not yet. I just saw "The Homliest Little Horse," episode four of the final season. But yes I did see the episode of which you refer and damn, that was something. Quite poignant when he said as he exited "Us white people don't have to learn anything if we don't want to." Ain't that the truth.

Poor Alfred has the absolute worst time when he gets his own solo episodes. :lol:

Homliest Little Horse is awfully cringy............and it touches on so my levels. Yet, the touching on so many levels and the willingness to provoke the viewer to ask more questions is pretty much the show. The sushi restaurant stands out in similar fashion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:33 pm 
King of Men

Looks like Doom Patrol is back and wrapping up its final episodes. Its still absurd and often times borders on making little sense.....but that's the Doom Patrol schtick anyway.

I am actually enjoying Gen V at the moment. Didn't give it much of a chance but its good enough.

Powering through Shoresy the best I can....sure do like the French Canadian announcers.

Haven't started Loki yet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:13 pm 
Big in Japan

My wife isn't in the mood to watch Shoresy, so I gotta find time to watch on my own.

I'm mostly watching Dropout.tv lately. Especially Jeopardy style pop culture correction game show Um Actually. Who wouldn't like a show that rewards pedantic corrections?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:06 am 

E.L. wrote:
My wife isn't in the mood to watch Shoresy, so I gotta find time to watch on my own.

My wife won't watch Shoresy either. I binge watched the first season while away for a conference. I told her the first episode is the worst as far as insults and that it actually spins to have a somewhat decent lesson. She still opted out and now doesn't like Wayne as much on Letterkenny. :lol: I was supposed to go to a conference in early Nov and figured I'd binge the 2nd season then. Now I'm not going. The horror!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:44 pm 
OTP Historian

Anam enjoyed Shoresy more than Letterkenny.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:56 pm 
King of Men

Going to have to give props to Shoresy Season 2 Episodes 3, 4 and especially 5.....old tyme hockey players police themselves!

I was a bit worried where this season was going but I have really enjoyed these last episodes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:00 am 

Just finished Upload, season 3 and it'll be a huuuuuuge bummer if they don't renew for season 4 given the cliffhanger things ended on.

Gotta admit, it's a very enjoyable show, with some absolutely beautiful leads (especially Allegra Edwards) but I just feel like there's some missed potential there. It could be an absolutely caustic, darkly funny satire about corporate overreach and how we, the general public, just kinda sign our entire lives over to capitalism, but they choose not to go there. At least not in a way that would have me cringing and laughing and rethinking my entire existence...you know, the way really good comedies can do sometimes. They're settling for a sitcom-level show and I think they could've made it more interesting if they were really willing to give the show and its writing teeth. Whatever the case, there's some irony about this show villainizing the biggest corporation on the planet when it's literally brought to us from the biggest corporation (not counting the Catholic Church) on the planet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:54 am 
Big in Japan

Watched a bit of Upload S3. I'm shocked it made it this long, so anything I get is golden. Started off a bit like The Good Place but it's carved its own niche. Nora speaks with this ASMR type voice and it gets me every time.

I'm also loving Taskmaster New Zealand. I watch on YouTube. A+ comedy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:42 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
BCG wrote:
No no, sorry lol! I was just making a joke that even Mr. Emotion Avery Brooks would find Discovery too over the top lol

Really, Trekkies don't like him?? Fuck'em. I agree Poke, he's a great character and the character depth we got into him was great. We got a bit of that with Picard in St:TNG wrt his family and career choices, but I thought they could have explored his psyche much more e.g. why didn't he marry. I get his career choices.... but.... Picard was pretty old when he hit the Enterprise (relative to Kirk and Pike).... so a bit more would have been good.

What's wrong with Jake? I thought he aged pretty well in DS9. And Tony Todd as an older him? Gold.

From what I understand he's just not a convention darling. And given that one SNL skit that Shatner did decades ago that REALLY bent the Trekkies outta shape (it was fucking hilarious BTW) I could see a bunch of those wet blankets turning on him.

Jake was being accused of being as useless as Wesley (and honestly I don't have an issue with Wesley or Wil Wheaton BTW, writers just didn't know what to do with the character until "First Class") and that got my hackles up. Because fuck that shit, Jake was awesome and was the principal character of the greatest hour of Trek ever (played by both Cirroc Lofton and Tony Todd in that episode, as you have noted). He was also fantastic because he showed that not everyone was cut out for Starfleet.

And yes, Avery Brooks is most definitely intense, but I still say that made him perfect as Ben Sisko.

I've been gradually watching DS9 for a while and when it popped up on Netflix that The Visitor was the next episode, I had alarms going off in my head that there was something about this episode, and I figured that the source of the alarms originated in OTP. This is up there as an all-time tear jerker. Amazing episode. Gonna go hug my sleeping kids.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:40 am 

I got the Mrs watching Shoresey. Halfway through season 1. She's admitted that it's way better than she thought it would be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next