OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:40 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Considering some of the 7 fingered AI drawings I've seen, AI written shows might be kind of entertaining, in a train wreck way. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:19 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Considering some of the 7 fingered AI drawings I've seen, AI written shows might be kind of entertaining, in a train wreck way. :lol:

I heard a song today created to be similar to Oasis. It sounded very much like an Oasis song. There are some pretty fabulous paintings being done by AI as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 6:25 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I heard a song today created to be similar to Oasis. It sounded very much like an Oasis song. There are some pretty fabulous paintings being done by AI as well.

Yes, but I was joking above.
However, it's pretty easy to have an AI make a single song that sounds just like the original band. However, if AI has to make an entirely new album, it's going to be a problem. It's like when someone says an entire genre of music sounds the same (to me all Oasis songs sound the same), and some band decides to create a song in that genre as a joke. It usually sounds better than other bands actually in that genre. Why? Because they can get away with putting all the stereotypical hooks, beats and singing styles from that genre into a single song and not have to worry about the whole album or career, literally sounding all the same. They're one and done. AI is also going to have to be programmed to include outside influences. That's possible but it's still up to people to figure out what the influences should be. At least as of now.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 3:04 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Rogue Heroes

Watched the first two episodes as part of a preview of MGM+ (formerly known as Epix), it's the story of the beginning of the British Special Air Service (SAS). They have a little blurb at the beginning that this story is "mostly true," so I immediately dismissed a lot of the crazier things that have happened in the show thus far. Well, come to find out after just a cursory look at actual events that...a lot of those things really did take place in real life! Leave it to the Brits to create a completely fake elite commando unit conveniently leak the info to throw off the Axis, and then put together the real thing later.

Probably will do the free seven-day trial and see if I can get through the series before it ends, but even then, I can afford $7.99 for one month to watch a show.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 2:41 pm 

Started The Big Door Prize, on Apple TV.

Show about a guy in a small town who seemingly has an ideal life until the arrival of a mysterious machine that supposedly tells people willing to fork out $2 their "life's potential." Near the end of the first episode, we find out what it tells him. Don't know where this is going but I'm definitely going to give it a full season pass.

Somewhat apprehensive about investing in shows with the WGA strike going on. Networks have proven to be more ruthless than ever in axing shows (in a lot of cases lately, canceling shows that have already completed seasons in the can, or pulling them off streaming entirely to cut costs, which is crazy since streaming has all but destroyed residuals--a big reason why the writers are striking. Already two major shows (Stranger Things and Severance) have halted production.

Interesting how streaming has already affected the average length of TV shows. I believe a lot of networks wanted them to last around 6-7 seasons so they could be sold into syndication but since that's not really a thing anymore, they don't necessarily last as long. IMO a television show should keep it to no more than five seasons. Any more tend to just water down the main product. How Grey's Anatomy remains a hit after nearly twenty frickin' years is mind-boggling, especially now that the main character has left the show!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:57 pm 
King of Men

I might be the only one still watching Titans.......just finished Season 4 and I would assume that's it. DC had some good shows for a while but they have since trailed off, at least on the ones I was watching (Titans, Doom Patrol). Anna Diop/Firestar is the real deal, yes please to more of her!

I thought the series was well cast..Brenton Thwaites was a great Night Wing...Teagan Croft a great Raven....pretty much all down the line Gar, Super boy.

Season 4 cut off half way and I had almost forgotten about it but it wrapped as nicely as a DC comic can.

You might have to be super geeky to take in this one.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:13 pm 

Just FYI I took recent Star Trek/Wars-related posts and moved them to the Trek/Wars thread. Let's leave this thread for any TV not related to those two properties.

harmfuljays wrote:
I might be the only one still watching Titans.......just finished Season 4 and I would assume that's it. DC had some good shows for a while but they have since trailed off, at least on the ones I was watching (Titans, Doom Patrol). Anna Diop/Firestar is the real deal, yes please to more of her!

I thought the series was well cast..Brenton Thwaites was a great Night Wing...Teagan Croft a great Raven....pretty much all down the line Gar, Super boy.

Season 4 cut off half way and I had almost forgotten about it but it wrapped as nicely as a DC comic can.

You might have to be super geeky to take in this one.

Haven't seen Titans yet, mostly due to lack of access but the very first trailer (that featured Thwaites' Robin saying "Fuck Batman!") really turned me off. Interesting what the cartoon and live-action shows have done with Raven--she's nothing like the character from the comics, and that's probably a good thing. The Teen Titans of the 80s were a direct response to the wild popularity of Marvel's X-Men, another team of teenage superheroes. The biggest storyline of that run, The Judas Contract, which I believe featured the first-ever appearance of Deathstroke, was directly inspired by the X-Men.

I feel like the "Arrowverse" TV shows (of which Titans and Stargirl are tangentially related) are a bit of a mixed bag. Never has there been a more earnest adaptation of comic book properties, but I don't know if that's an entirely good idea. I have watched a bit of The Flash and Arrow, the wife and I watched the first three or so seasons of Legends of Tomorrow, and I was a Supergirl fan for about four seasons, none of them ever really "took off" for me though.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 3:30 pm 

Sadly, Ray Stevenson has died unexpectedly at the age of 58.

https://ew.com/celebrity/ray-stevenson- ... ctor-dies/

His final on-screen credit will likely be the upcoming Star Wars: Ahsoka series on Disney Plus.

If you can, sit down and watch Rome on HBO or Max or whatever the fuck they call it now. Wildly underrated series that traces the final days of the Roman Republic. It stars Stevenson and Kevin McKidd who play rival Roman soldiers who team up and rise up the ranks of the underworld, also features a very young Kerry Condon (who features prominently in Better Call Saul and the film The Banshees of Inisherin), and a whole host of top-notch actors.

In hindsight, boy there were a lot of Irish people playing Romans on that show!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 5:31 pm 

The third (and likely final) season of Ted Lasso has been by far the worst but still entertaining.

Minor spoilers: Interesting if they had actually opted for more seasons if they would've followed Nate Shelley's downfall all the way through. As it stands, he pulls up right as Rupert Mannion begins to try and really sink his claws into him.

Incidentally I can't help but think a season behind the scenes at West Ham United with Rupert (played by Buffy alum Anthony Stewart Head, who really looks like he's having a great time playing a complete asshole) as the central character might actually be more interesting than the wholesome goodness of all the Richmond AFC folks.

Anyway, not many episodes left, we all know what's going to happen though. It was nice to have some feel-good television, and I'm glad they're going the British route and keeping it short and sweet.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:42 pm 

Big Door Prize has had at least one excruciatingly bad episode but it's still an intriguing show. I'm not sure but Chris O'Dowd's amiable charm is doing a LOT of the heavy lifting in this show because there are at least a couple characters who should find their way into the nearest woodchipper quickly.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:40 am 
OTP Historian

New Futurama in July!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:42 pm 

Ted Lasso finally wrapped things up in a rather unspectacular fashion. I was mostly okay with it but also glad that the show is done. It really sputtered near the end, though I must admit that while I quite enjoyed it, I never thought it was anything supremely great. It was just a cute, wholesome television show about English football and regular culture clashes with it's two American leads (side note, I'm sure they exist but I have never, EVER encountered anyone from Kansas with an accent that thick).

Side SIDE note: I would totally wear the light blue Richmond AFC jackets the staff were sporting in the final scenes.

Whatever your feelings about the show, this was Apple TV's first hit, and it allowed them to hit the ground running. They've come out with at least two more must-watch originals since then (Bad Sisters and Severance) and I think some other slightly-less-successful-but-intriguing offerings (Foundation, The Big Door Prize, and The Shrink Next Door).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:33 am 
King of Men

Black Mirror is back....the first episode Joan is awful....was very heady. Deepfakes, legally binding user agreements, quantum computing controlling all media creation and content delivery.....brought up some very interesting concepts that are not too far off. Good to have this show back!

And of course Outlander (Sassasnatch) has returned. I don't really like this show at all. My wife has tried to repackage this so many times as an education in my scottish heritage....and that's just not the case...........its a chick flick with some loose historical basis. But you gotta pick your battles after being married for over 20 years....and the show has enough whiskey drinking and violence to keep me awake for an hour.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:48 am 

Bupkis................Pete Davidson vehicle, loosely based on his life. Show is just loaded with talented supporting actors. Joe Pesci is hilarious, Edie Falco is great as always, Brad Garett, Bobby Canavale, Ray Romano.

I never liked Davidson in his work on the skits for Saturday Live but always loved him for his bit on Weekend Update, often finding that to be the highlight of the show. After watching Bupkis I realize now its because his humour comes from a very personal and raw space, just exposing himself to the world and this carries over into his show.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:27 am 

Amazon > Deadlock

Detective tracking serial killer show. The twist is the lesbian element to the show. Set in Tasmania which is new and a fairly decent dose of humour throughout the show. Eastern Europeans complain that there are not enough swear words in English, that swearing is a bit of an art form in the slavic languages. I tend to agree, because how many ways can you say "fuck". These folks have definitely extended my ideas of what is possible in regards to swearing in English, I have much more appreciation for the possibilities.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:57 pm 

"The Bear", deserves all the rave reviews it gets. Great writing, acting, high pressure and high stress restaurant drama. Plus glorious shots of food. Damn I want to learn how to make those mashed potatoes. I've never mastered properly roasting potatoes, but oven baked definitely make for better mashed potatoes then boiled do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:04 pm 

"The Bear" season 2, just as good as the first. Great writing, great actors..............the show moves from a constant low simmer, to full blaze and quickly back down to simmer but there is always tension that makes it compelling. The best part of the show is that even though many of the actors are pretty flawed, there is this element of hope to them all that they can learn and grow and become better. I like this, I never liked Seinfield and other shows that just dwell on awful people doing awful things. In shows like this its easy to become invested in the characters and have hope for them, and truly feel for them when life throws problems at them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:05 pm 

"Reservation Dogs", first season is good, second season is fantastic. Great drama regarding life on the reservation and the social, economic issues within. Tackles hard issues with humour, courage, and empathy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:06 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
"Reservation Dogs", first season is good, second season is fantastic. Great drama regarding life on the reservation and the social, economic issues within. Tackles hard issues with humour, courage, and empathy.

We got sidetracked like halfway through Season 1 of Reservation Dogs. Started Letterkenny and are almost up to date on that. Want to finish Reservation Dogs. I liked it a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:49 pm 
OTP Historian

Loved both The Bear and Reservation Dogs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 58  Next