OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:03 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The reason you don't remember Married with Children's final episode is because there wasn't one. Fox pulled the plug after 11 seasons without warning, no final episode, no sendoff, nothing. That apparently enraged not only the show's fans, but the people behind the scenes as well. I think Christina Applegate to this day refuses to work with Fox.

BTW, I read somewhere David "Bud" Faustino and that guy who used to play Parker Lewis did their own web-based show about what it's like to be a washed-up celeb. I've heard it's rather funny, but I've been too lazy to look it up.

I read shows like Dirty Sexy Money and Eli Stone were at least getting the chance to do some closure before the shows got the axe...thing is, like Pushing Daisies, the episodes were made but fucking ABC won't tell us when, or even IF, those episodes will ever air. Fuck the networks man....and fuck people in general who make crap like "Dancing with the Stars" a gigantic hit.

So since I'm probably the only person left watching "Heroes" (and that'll likely change after this season) it seems they wasted no time in this episode in trimming the fat. Two heroes who absolutely needed to GTFO were sent packing last night. I won't say who right now but one at least had a nice sendoff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:20 am 
Old Man of the Post

Av-merican wrote:
So since I'm probably the only person left watching "Heroes" (and that'll likely change after this season) it seems they wasted no time in this episode in trimming the fat. Two heroes who absolutely needed to GTFO were sent packing last night. I won't say who right now but one at least had a nice sendoff.

I'm still watching Heroes... That it's getting tired, I agree - no one seems to die. If this was a reality show, I'd vote Ali Larter off, despite her on-again, off-again hotness; somehow, I think we'll see her back. I'd vote Claire off too. Ando is getting kinda lame. Matt Parkman is getting lame too; can't say that I'll miss the fast girl at all. Nathan and his brother... And their mom. Bringing back the kid was lame.

In fact, if Sylar was the only one left, I'd prolly still watch it; he's about the only interesting character in it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:34 am 

And that's the main problem--the characters. They're completely hollow. In season 1 they were all compelling, especially Matt Parkman and Hiro, but since then they've all gotten convoluted and boring, and Mohinder above all others has been ruined beyond repair. Most of it is bad writing, some of it is bad acting--Cheerleader just looks bored all the time now. At least Peter comes off overly dramatic.

Yep, watching this, even improved as it is right now, is still a chore. Apparently NBC already has a 4th season greenlit. I definitely won't watch it. 24 has been far more engaging.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:34 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Season one for Heroes was like a bad book to me. You start watching/reading and get somewhat interested then as you realize your not in to it your still compelled to find out what happens and finish it anyway. I was done with that show after that first season as it's good start could not even maintain momentum for one full season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:30 pm 
Master of 'Bait

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
I liked the Futurama sendoff, and was glad they went to making movies instead of more episodes...

Can't remember Married with Children.

One-offs like Undergrads, Clone High and Mission Hill don't really count...

Clone High was the worst ending... mostly because it just didn't end. Cliffhangers only work if you come back next season with a resolution. Otherwise they're just annoying.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:47 pm 
OTP Historian

treebait wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
I liked the Futurama sendoff, and was glad they went to making movies instead of more episodes...

Can't remember Married with Children.

One-offs like Undergrads, Clone High and Mission Hill don't really count...

Clone High was the worst ending... mostly because it just didn't end. Cliffhangers only work if you come back next season with a resolution. Otherwise they're just annoying.

Same deal with Undergrads, but I don't know if I can fault the writers because the show was cancelled after one season :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:49 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Season one for Heroes was like a bad book to me. You start watching/reading and get somewhat interested then as you realize your not in to it your still compelled to find out what happens and finish it anyway. I was done with that show after that first season as it's good start could not even maintain momentum for one full season.

Agreed. It started out fantastically and then kinda took a dump in the season finale. After that it went downhill in a hurry.

There's speculation that series like this and other sci-fi themed shows should only be greenlit for one, two seasons at the most. In Great Britain, TV shows (like the original Life On Mars) can last as little as two series. Prison Break is proof positive of a show that would've been brilliant if it had only gone 2 seasons. They break out, they clear their names (or get killed) and then that's it. No more. At least BSG had planned on 4 seasons and did 4 great seasons.

I hear ER is wrapping up this year, speaking of shows that went on way too damned long.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:01 pm 
King of the One-Liner

The Ricky Gervais(sp?) stuff with the original "The Office" and "Extras" had short runs. Kinda sucked if you liked it and wanted more, but they never had a chance to kill the show or the memories of it either. Good way to leave them wanting more and jumping on your next project I suspect as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:05 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I'll still keep coming back to Burn Notice; kinda like MacGyver meets Miami Vice. I don't get to see Dexter nearly enough; that's worth renting Seasons 1 & 2 on DVD; I'm waiting for Season 3 to be available on DVD.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:01 pm 
Queen of the Random Thought

I love love love Burn Notice. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:05 pm 
Big in Japan

I just borrowed season one of Dawson's Creek, so I'm inching my way through that. I saw many of the episodes first-run. It was a quality show with ridiculous, over-the-top dialogue and Katie Holmes at her absolute hottest.

Within the first three episodes, Jen totally freaks out the town by being some atheist slut, and Pacey sleeps with his teacher. And Dawson broods, oh how he broods. I forgot just how sex-crazed his parents were.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:15 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I just borrowed season one of Dawson's Creek, so I'm inching my way through that. I saw many of the episodes first-run. It was a quality show with ridiculous, over-the-top dialogue and Katie Holmes at her absolute hottest.

Within the first three episodes, Jen totally freaks out the town by being some atheist slut, and Pacey sleeps with his teacher. And Dawson broods, oh how he broods. I forgot just how sex-crazed his parents were.

Yep, DC was a guilty pleasure I'll admit to watching. Season 1 was fun, Kevin Williamson was at the peak of his game with this and the first "Scream" movie...he fell from grace soon afterwards.

If you value this show though, heed my words, watch season 1 and stop. Go no further. Season 2 takes a meteoric dive into crapville when they introduce two new characters and the whole thing just screams "we've run out of ideas." Katie Holmes becomes an insufferable bitch in season 2 and never recovers. I gave up about midway through season 3.

If you want to see KH at her absolute best though you gotta see "The Gift." It's so freakin' awesome watching Joey Potter act like an evil little slut and taking off her top. The movie itself isn't half bad either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:17 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Yep, DC was a guilty pleasure I'll admit to watching. Season 1 was fun, Kevin Williamson was at the peak of his game with this and the first "Scream" movie...he fell from grace soon afterwards.

If you value this show though, heed my words, watch season 1 and stop. Go no further. Season 2 takes a meteoric dive into crapville when they introduce two new characters and the whole thing just screams "we've run out of ideas." Katie Holmes becomes an insufferable bitch in season 2 and never recovers. I gave up about midway through season 3.

If you want to see KH at her absolute best though you gotta see "The Gift." It's so freakin' awesome watching Joey Potter act like an evil little slut and taking off her top. The movie itself isn't half bad either.

:lol: Dawson's Creek...one summer while I was home for the summer in Uni and working evenings, it was on for 2 hours every morning and I used to watch it with my sister who was in high school...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:50 am 

Is there a LOST thread in here? I guess not.

On that note, let me just say HOLY F*CKIN' SH*T! I knew what was going to happen but thought...no, no way would they do that. And then it happened. Again, holy f*ckin' sh*t...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Yup, the Gift was awesome.

So I just finished season 1 of The Creek. I love how the show is an obvious satire of teen dramadies, to the point where even the characters discuss just how stereotypical they are, yet when the tried-and-true story arcs take their form they still act as though its all a big surprise.

The show in season 1 was pitch fucking perfect. The Breakfast Club episode was especially good. Abbie Morgan needs a banger in her mouth, stat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:05 pm 

Anyone watch the ER series finale?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:10 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:
Anyone watch the ER series finale?

I haven't watchedER with any regularity since Season 1, and probably haven't sat and watched a new episode in 8 years. I'm glad it's done. Just like Friends, I found it ridiculously easy to lose interest in the series. I don't know how people could stand watching it for any prolonged length of time.

Oh wait, I can. Network TV hasn't really churned out much worthwhile in the meantime.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:22 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I thought the series finale for ER was last season... And the season before that... And the season before that...

Fuh-Key-Are...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:35 pm 

Can't remember when I stopped watching. I'd drop back in on occasion and see that Dr. Greene was dying, Dr. Romano got his arm chopped off by a tailrotor (kick ass!), a whole bunch of people I didn't know were suddenly in the cast, etc. Didn't watch the finale either. I will give it credit for having one of the most amazing hours of television I've ever seen, the one where Dr. Ross has to rescue a kid trapped in a storm drain. Riveting television we'll likely never see again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:51 pm 
Queen of the Random Thought

I watched it. (I've watched religiously since at least season 2) It was the perfect ending, cause it didn't really end. They didn't try to tie up all the loose ends and give all the characters a happy ending. You can just imagine the ER world going on in some alternate universe somewhere. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 58  Next