OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:54 pm 
Big in Japan

Binged the new BoJack season over a couple of nights. Nodded off a bit at times, not because it was boring but because I was already tired coming in.

It's more of the same knife twisting, although like the previous seasons, the ending brought things together nicely.

The music selection in the final scene was inspired.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:26 pm 
OTP Historian

Watching Vikings with Anam. Good stuff so far.

The dude playing Ragnar Lothbrok has perfected the 0 Fucks Given look.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:15 pm 
King of Men

Black Mirror on Netflix is thought provoking. Think of it as a future technology based Outer Limts or Twilight Zone.

Episode 11 San Juipero

3rd Series Episode 4......

Is a masterful future day love tale (way better than that stupid HER). Even if you don't watch anything else I highly recommend that episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Junipero (SPOILERS!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:05 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Holy shit...if you're considering binge-watching The Strain, trust me, do NOT waste your time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:35 am 
King of Men

Something about Shameless has roped me in lately. I enjoy a dysfunctional train wreck......probably reminds me that things could be a lot worse.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:15 am 
Big in Japan

Riverale is completely ridiculous, preposterous, excessive and amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:57 pm 

Legion - The trippiest, craziest, most cerebral thing I've ever seen on TV. My wife lambasted me when I revealed to her that it's based (in very small part) on the X-Men comics. That, and you could piece together the greatest-ever playlist based on what they play on each end credits sequence.

Taboo - Dark, surreal, exquisitely stylish, and so well-acted I'm still not entirely sure it's actually any good. But I sure as hell enjoy watching it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:18 pm 

Grimm ends after six seasons. Fun and accessible, it was never a show of lofty ambitions, though I felt like it left a bit too much on the table. Could've been a whole lot more.

About 4.5 episodes into Iron Fist, and the whole "whitewashing" thing has been blown WAAAAAY out of proportion. This should absolutely not be lumped in with The Great Wall and the new version of Ghost in the Shell. While it's nowhere near as good as the previous three "Defenders" series, it's still quite enjoyable. I get that the show's star and co-creator of the comic character have not done anyone any favors in their defense of the show, any failings it has have nothing to do with the main character being a rich white guy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:40 pm 

It's all Marvel, all the time for me these days I guess.

Finished Iron Fist. Disappointing despite low expectations. For a martial arts-based superhero I found the fight scenes particularly dull. Daredevil offered WAY better. Hope the Defenders makes up for this.

Also finished the first half of the latest season of Agents of SHIELD, which has been festering on my DVR nearly half a year. I gotta say it more than made up for the previous season which I found really tedious and boring. Also did a good job of setting up the second half storyline, which looks promising.

Lastly, can't believe I'm saying this, but after seeing the preview, the upcoming Cloak and Dagger on Freeform may actually be kinda awesome. Wife watches all the damned teen soapy dramas on there so I guess this one will offer us some middle ground.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:37 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
I gotta say it more than made up for the previous season which I found really tedious and boring. Also did a good job of setting up the second half storyline, which looks promising.

Is that the season of Sky crying all the time and finding new ways to bring back Grant Ward? Yeah that one wasn't great at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
I gotta say it more than made up for the previous season which I found really tedious and boring. Also did a good job of setting up the second half storyline, which looks promising.

Is that the season of Sky crying all the time and finding new ways to bring back Grant Ward? Yeah that one wasn't great at all.

Yep, pretty much.

Funny thing is, I haven't seen it yet but they know they back Ward back AGAIN, this time as a Life Model Decoy. :lol: The writing team must REALLY like that actor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Anyone watch 13 Reasons Why? Fucked up shit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:24 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Billions with Paul Giamatti and Damien Lewis (Homeland) just finished season 2. Anyone into it? Pretty crazy look at corruption in the business world.

Quote:
Wealth, influence and corruption collide in this drama set in New York. Shrewd U.S. Attorney Chuck Rhoades (Giamatti) is embroiled in a high-stakes game of predator vs. prey with Bobby Axelrod (Lewis), an ambitious hedge-fund king. To date, Rhoades has never lost an insider trading case -- he's 81-0 -- but when criminal evidence turns up against Axelrod, he proceeds cautiously in building the case against Axelrod, who employs Rhoades' wife, psychiatrist Wendy, as a performance coach for his company. Wendy, who has been in her position longer than Chuck has been in his, refuses to give up her career for her husband's legal crusade against Axelrod. Both men use their intelligence, power and influence to outmaneuver the other in this battle over billions. The high-profile cast is led by Emmy winners Paul Giamatti ("John Adams") and Damian Lewis ("Homeland") as Chuck Rhoades and Bobby Axelrod, respectively.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:17 pm 

Star Trek: Discovery was good. Not great, but given the serialized format it shouldn't be trying to WOW us right away. The titular ship doesn't even make an appearance in the first two episodes.

Even though it's technically set 10 years before the original series takes place, they take a ton of liberties, especially with the Klingons. Speaking as a die-hard Trekkie who was positively bored with Klingons and their constant barking banter about "honor!" I welcomed the change.

We will see if the new show can conquer two major obstacles: Requiring a monthly streaming fee to watch, and the most stodgy, nitpicky, butthurt fanbase in all of pop culture.

One thing is for absolutely certain. They nailed it casting their lead. Sonequa Martin Green takes a very complex character and runs with it. If this show fails, it definitely won't be because of her.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:20 pm 
Big in Japan

Discovery is on Crave TV in Canada (a Netflix knockoff I quite like), so no separate fees for me.

Haven't watched it yet, but Star Treks in general take a while, especially the good ones (TNG and DS9 have mediocre S1's).

Anything that doesn't repeat the mistakes of Voyager (too fan service) and Enterprise (too American) is fine by me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:40 pm 

Well I hope the 1-2 season rule doesn't apply here. But yes, both TNG and DS9 took a while to find themselves. Voyager never did. Enterprise stumbled out the gate and was further hampered by a terrible opening theme (Love the opening theme and titles of the new one). It was so bad they abruptly changed direction and made the show far darker, but in the end it wasn't enough and petered out.

From what I'm reading this show is going to straddle that line--they want this to retain the bold optimism of Rodenberry's vision, but they also promise that major characters will likely see early departures a la Game of Thrones/Walking Dead. If they maintain that balance successfully this show will flourish.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:04 pm 

The Orville, which is by no means a brilliant show, but fun at times, damn near hit brilliance with a recent episode about an alien culture not unlike 21st century Earth that bases their entire justice system on a social media-esque rating system.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:06 pm 

Almost through the 1st season of the new Star Trek. It's not perfect by any means but I'm very much invested in the characters.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Watching Dirk Gently. A little Doctor Who-ish, but even weirder. Kinda like it even if I don't get it all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:04 pm 
King of Men

wow wow wow.....Black Mirror Season 4 is on point! Crazy shit!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 57  Next