OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:59 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Season 2 of Mad Men on DVD.

It's a slow moving series and a lot of screen time is spent on historical context, but season 2 is really moving at a brisk pace now. Worth the early season 1 meandering.

Christina Hendricks and January Jones alone are worth the meandering.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Av-merican wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Season 2 of Mad Men on DVD.

It's a slow moving series and a lot of screen time is spent on historical context, but season 2 is really moving at a brisk pace now. Worth the early season 1 meandering.

Christina Hendricks and January Jones alone are worth the meandering.

Don Draper's new secretary in season two is smokin'.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0514228/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:43 pm 

Damn...haven't seen season 2 yet and now I have yet another reason.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:51 pm 
Old Man of the Post

For PattyLa: Dexter has cancer and is married to his sister! :shock:

As for Jennifer Carpenter, meh - I think he could do better...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:58 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
For PattyLa: Dexter has cancer and is married to his sister! :shock:

If he was going to bang an on-screen sister he should have gone after Lauren Ambrose. Then again his character was gay on that show so that would've just been way too weird.

As for Dexter...dammit I have to get the DVDs for this show (too lazy to download them), anything with Julie Benz in it, even temporarily, is well worth watching.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:16 pm 
Big in Japan

Season 3 of Mad Men starts slowly, but the last 3 or so episodes are pitch perfect. Bravo. Best show on television.

Community is terrific, for fans of Arrested Development, college, or simply fans of dry absurdist comedy. Loveable cast.

And I did catch the first six episodes of Jersey Shore. It's more engaging than merely drunken brawling and guidos, I'm actually enjoying it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:17 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

I've laughed only a couple of times during Community. I'm disaapointed by it.

I do like Modern Family, though.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:18 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

She's, meh at best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:53 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

woo Chuck is back!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:15 am 
Old Man of the Post

OK, Heroes has officially jumped the shark in my eyes... The cheerleader has gone gay... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:03 am 

OK, Heroes has officially jumped the shark in my eyes... The cheerleader has gone gay... :roll:

Dude, that show jumped the shark, ass-raped it, skinned it, fileted it, and served it with a side of chips.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:39 am 
Old Man of the Post

Av-merican wrote:

Dude, that show jumped the shark, ass-raped it, skinned it, fileted it, and served it with a side of chips.

Well, until now I was willing to deny that it already had, but that last episode really went over the top.

My new favorite show is Men of a Certain Age. I'm pretty sure I'm Owen Thoreau.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:35 pm 
King of the One-Liner

jumping the shark done right!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:40 pm 

The big reveal is coming very, very soon on Fringe. Well, we'll have to wait until the spring, but it's coming. The show's writers are amazing. Unlike LOST, they tipped their hand early and it's only added to the intrigue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:37 pm 

Justified

Take a western, put it in modern-day Kentucky (now in addition to guns you have mother fucking ROCKET LAUNCHERS), and have it star Timothy Olyphant (Seth Bullock from the much-missed "Deadwood" and that guy who was in a ton of other movies you've seen, you just never noticed him before) and Walton Goggins (poor, doomed dumbass Shane from "The Shield") as a Neo-Nazi, and you have the makings of one really crazy-ass show...especially when it's based off an Elmore Leonard tale. The first episode was encouraging to say the least. Three pucks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:20 pm 

Just when I give up Fringe for dead it comes back and smacks me right upside the head. Watched last week's flashback episode on the DVR (retro 80s intro and everything) and it was fucking mindblowing, cannot WAIT for this season's finale. Hopefully Fox isn't stupid enough to not renew it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:36 am 
Big in Japan

Treme's the bomb, of course.

Nice watching this from the start, rather than watching after the fact in pieces like The Wire.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:15 am 
King of the One-Liner

Modern Family is the first sitcom in some time I've actually like enough to know what day and time it is on.

At times the Phil character touches home a little too much and makes me kinda uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:45 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Modern Family is the first sitcom in some time I've actually like enough to know what day and time it is on.

At times the Phil character touches home a little too much and makes me kinda uncomfortable.

Well, I still watch The Office, though I don't particularily care if I miss episodes. Same with Parks & Rec, which has 3 awesome characters despite being a total Office knockoff. But Modern Family is definitely rare. Same style as those shows, but so much heart as well as talent.

So I have 3 or 4 sitcoms I watch (How I Met Your Mother is the other, which I really wish would just end because there are getting to be some stinkers thrown in as the storyline has run out of real ideas and twists), but Modern Family is by far the best of them. Parks & Rec is second. I definitely hope those two sitcoms abandon any real plotlines for the most part. I'm sick of those. We need more Seinfeld type ones. Arrested Development was too good at extended plotlines to compete with. HIMYM has stretched too long, it was never meant to be a five to six season long plotline.

Of course, Peep Show still rocks.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:41 am 

This got me thinking, what do people watch?

Anyways, pretty simple for me. I've got something every night from Mon-Thursday to watch, provided there is a new episode on. But it doesn't add up to much. My favourite dramas are the terrain of DVD only, so there's really only a couple of shows that capture me for the regular TV viewing period...

Monday: How I Met Your Mother - this show is running it's course. Still somewhat enjoyable, but probably should end this year (and it won't be).

Tuesday: This is my geek night, I watch PBS. First up is NOVA, followed by Frontline. Two hours of single issue programming, NOVA takes on scientific issues, Frontline political ones. Informative stuff... usually one of them is quite good. Last night NOVA was on Mt. St. Helen's, most of which I knew about but it was nonetheless a good refresher since I'm going to be in that area in a month... Frontline was on for profit universities. NOVA recently did a series on the history of astronomy and how advances in telescopes fuelled the great discoveries. It was amazing.

Wednesday: Modern Family - definitely the new star sitcom. I'll probably have to buy the first season on DVD just to catch up.

Thursday: Parks & Recreation - Been a huge fan of Aziz Ansari for a few years now (he was a host at Sasquatch! a couple years back, was supposed to be back this year but had to cancel to host the MTV Movie Awards), and the rest of the cast is quite good as well. I don't know how much staying power this will have, but it's good now and not overly complex. There are some continuous storylines but they don't try too hard with them.
The Office - still going, still decent. I can easily miss episodes now without much concern.

I had watched the new Kids in the Hall show, but that only lasted 6 episodes. It was pretty good.

The shows I really like that are really only on DVD for me: Peep Show (UK), Big Love, Mad Men. I want to watch Treme as well. Flight of the Conchords is done after 2 solid years of showing what sitcoms really can be (stand alone single episodes with some inside jokes that carry over, but not much more).

South Park is still on my radar as well... but the big "I hope it's still good" news is that Futurama returns with new episodes on June 24! Good, needed something for the summer season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 57  Next