OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:19 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I figure we'll use the same format as the movie thread...

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
For those who want to look for old reviews, here is a link: http://otp.phpbbweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=166&mforum=otp

Also, here are the guidelines:
ImageImageImageImageImage = Wholesome and worth adding to your collection of Beta tapes...
Image = Just this side of bad.
Image = Worth locking out of your house indefinitely.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:35 pm 

My favorite TV shows of 2008 thus far:

Eli Stone - The premise seemed (and still sometimes seems) ridiculous. But I actually sat down to watch this show last year and absolutely fell in love with it, and it hasn't let up in season 2. Easily the smartest, best-written, and best-acted show on the air right now.

Dirty Sexy Money - Again, I thought the premise was weak, but the show is just racy enough and just smart enough to keep me watching.

Worst Week - It's a shame I read that this show might be the first to get the axe because I think it's absolutely hilarious thus far. Just watch the premiere episode, you'll at least chuckle.

Fringe - I'm not crazy about this show, sometimes the kooky scientist dad gets on my nerves, but it's been fun enough to keep me tuned in every week.

My least favorite TV shows of 2008 thus far:

Knight Rider - I know the original was about as stupid and had as many insipid and hackneyed plots, but it never had a cast this unbelievably annoying. Again, the only redeeming value this show has is Deanna Russo, and the writers seemingly know it since they use every opportunity they have to make up excuses for her to show some skin. Like I said over in Gen II, I like watching it whilst on the bike or treadmill at the gym since I don't really have to pay attention, but I tried viewing the premier episode online and simply couldn't get through it. Not digging Val Kilmer as KITT much either.

Heroes - Yup, there have been some good things happening, but for the most part this show has so completely lost its way I'm hoping either the show's entire writing staff gets the axe after this season or the show does. Recycled plot points, a lot of characters acting completely counter to what made us like them in the first place (Mohinder is a monster? Sylar's trying to be a good guy now!?) is absolutely killing me. I'm still watching because I'm hoping some of that season 1 magic will come back, but I'm about out of hope.

I'm a little behind on the DVR on account of vay-cay. Haven't yet seen "My Own Worst Enemy" so I'll be back with a review.

And uh, hey, Sci-Fi, get going with the final episodes of BSG already!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:49 pm 
Old Man of the Post

My ratings, so far:
Heroes ImageImageImage
I'm too much of a fanboy not to care about this show. They've killed off some good characters and haven't (at least in my mind) explained the disappearance of others, and introduced a bunch of new ones (a la Lost) but I'm still hopeful that this will come together at some point... :suprisedtoangry:
Fringe ImageImage
My wife hit the nail on the head with her assessment that this just moves too slowly to be engaging... I'm hoping it gets better but wouldn't be surprised if it goes nowhere.
My Own Worst Enemy ImageImageImageImage
Best of the new crop, at least for me. Christian Slater is very convincing as an hard-ass deep cover agent, and also as a confused suburban father of two, with a hot wife to boot. It's an interesting concept, but I can see, like Alias, interest could wane after a season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:06 pm 
Big in Japan

Did anyone watch House yesterday? Olivia Wilde was involved in THREE lesbian makeout sessions!

:jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:51 pm 
Old Man of the Post

E.L. wrote:
Did anyone watch House yesterday? Olivia Wilde was involved in THREE lesbian makeout sessions!

Was that what that was? Just saw the end of it when I was starting My Own Worst Enemy. Might have to look for re-runs...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:03 pm 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

E.L. wrote:

:jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

Wowowowowo....

There's a jerkoff emoticon?!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:31 pm 

http://tv.msn.com/tv/galleryfeature/wor ... ?GT1=28103

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:49 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Av-merican wrote:
http://tv.msn.com/tv/galleryfeature/worst-actors/?GT1=28103

:lol:

The list lost all creditability when it made it's 11th pick. :colbert:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:48 am 

Mother FUCK!!!! :argh: :suicide:

http://www.comcast.net/articles/enterta ... 21/b69940/

Seriously...these three shows get canned and yet utter dreck like Desperate Housewives and Dancing with the Stars rule the airwaves. What the fuck is wrong with people!?

I guess this is God's way of telling me I watch too much TV.

Or that I don't watch enough hockey. :ohdear:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:40 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Seriously...these three shows get canned and yet utter dreck like Desperate Housewives and Dancing with the Stars rule the airwaves. What the fuck is wrong with people!?

I haven't watched them, but probably the same reason Clone High, Undergrads, and Mission Hill only lasted 1 season. The general public has terrible fucking taste.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Dirty Sexy Money was terrible, good riddance. A cheesy Dynasty 21st century soap opera ratcheted up to horrible degrees. That and the two 'kids' in the family were horrible actors. Peter Krause and Donald Sutherland were great together, but everything else was just boring rich people whining. Not a fan of Pushing Daisies either - one of those excessively arty shows.

I gave up on Fringe. The comedic tone is all wrong. It jumps from serious to silly gags far too often. Basically the old man provides a few inappropriate one-liners, the girl gives a confused stare and Joshua Jackson triple dekes his way through each scene with a "That's gotta hurt" type line. The arcing story hasn't developed yet, but without interesting characters and with every episode tracing back to Dyna Corp (or whatever it's called), it's pretty obvious how things are going to go down.

The only show I'm watching right now is House. That and reruns of Dexter, Wire and DS9.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:40 pm 

DSM was harmless, brainless fun. And yes, everyone around Krause and Sutherland was superfluous (apart from Blair Underwood who played a great villain) but served their purpose. I'd take it any day over crap like Grey's Anatomy. Not terribly upset about that one going, just minorly miffed...especially since people seem to like watching celebrities do ballroom dancing or the same fucking CSI formula done 90 fucking times over. I don't get people sometimes.

Pushing Daisies was fun and original, but I didn't get into it nearly as much as the Nebraskan did. Bryan Fuller, the show's creator, has cut his losses and moved on. He's already talking about returning to Heroes, and after watching yet another boring-as-hell episode the other night they could use his help. Then again, I think the show is beyond redemption at this point.

The one show I'm truly gonna miss is Eli Stone. Utterly preposterous and ridiculous premise, but they made it work spectacularly. I was invested in every single character in that show, especially Victor Garber's Jordan, who's good in anything he does. That's now TWO decent shows canceled too soon that featured Jonny Lee Miller, who I guess is doomed forever to be the guy who let Angelina get away. By far my favorite show on the airwaves. Or it was at least.

Fringe unfortunately has gotten too complicated and convoluted for its own good. Like the X-Files the conspiracy has gotten so disjointed and silly that I just don't care about it anymore...difference being the X-Files at least took a little time to reach that point, Fringe has done it with a handful of episodes. Hooking a child prodigy up to machines to mine a song that happens to be an equation so the bad guys can pass through solid matter!? WTF? Just proves that Abrams is either hit or miss...let's hope Star Trek is "hit."

Guess I just gotta actually be productive with my time now... :munch:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:53 pm 
Master of 'Bait

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
I haven't watched them, but probably the same reason Clone High, Undergrads, and Mission Hill only lasted 1 season. The general public has terrible fucking taste.

And I thought I was the only one who wanted to find out about what happened with Joan and JFK!!! Also... how many cups of pudding does it take to get to Denver?

As a general rule, comedy central cartoons only ever last one season. Which is good for the most part... but all 3 of those were pretty hilarious shows!

Not to live in the past or anything... but I WANT ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT BACK!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:37 am 
Old Man of the Post

I watch Fringe when I can't sleep. Instant insomnia remedy. Somehow the pacing is all wrong.

Just give us jiggly, bouncy girls in one-piece Speedos running in slo-mo on the beach. And throw in David Hasselhoff so skinnem and patty have something to enjoy, too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:59 am 
Queen of the Random Thought

And throw in David Hasselhoff

ewww

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:02 pm 
Old Man of the Post

PattyLa16 wrote:

ewww

Just like David Hasselhoff after a bender and a cheeseburger...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:34 pm 
Master of 'Bait

PattyLa16 wrote:

ewww

Just like David Hasselhoff after a bender and a cheeseburger...

I don't ever want to hear Hasselhoff and any form of the word 'bend' in the same sentence ever again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:04 pm 
Big in Japan

For reasons unknown, I've been casually watching Chuck this season. What a terrible program. And why hasn't Rachel Bilson made another cameo? Why am I still watching?

:argh:

NBC's puerile lineup of filth -> :chairshot:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:16 pm 

Heroes has become a chore to watch...I keep watching because I feel like I have to even though the show has completely lost me. Once this "Villains" arc is done I think I am too, even though Tim Kring has promised the next arc, "Fugitives" promises to be the best yet. I just don't see how this show gets fixed. Firing Jeph Loeb was a good start at least.

And would someone PLEASE kill off Kristen Bell's character? The Nebraskan ordered season 1 of Veronica Mars and seeing how fun that show was and how perfect that role was for her, watching her as the deranged electrically-powered sociopath is just that much more hard to take.

Also watching the final episodes of "My Own Worst Enemy" with a note of sadness. Madchen Amick is simply too hot to not have her own show. And who'da thunk Mike O'Malley of all people could play a trained killer so convincingly?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:48 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Is My Own Worst Enemy getting cancelled? :fffffuck:

I was liking that the most among all of these new shows...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57  Next