OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:24 pm 

The Expanse Season 5 is out on Amazon. Loved the first three seasons, disappointed with the 4th. 6 shows into the 5th season and got to say its back as good as it ever was. 2nd place on my all time sci-fi series after Firefly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:33 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I watched the first episode of The Expanse, wasn't thrilled with it, though it was certainly intriguing. I'm putting it on the back burner for now, I just started Breaking Bad.

About to finish Community, which is easily one of the most subversive and imaginative sitcoms I've ever seen. I'm reading some of Dan Harmon's tutorials on writing (the story circle, as he calls it, is his model on how to tell a satisfying story) and you can see where the brilliance comes from. The final season has been kinda rough (it aired on Yahoo's short-lived streaming service) but that was to be expected after so many key cast departures.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:18 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
I watched the first episode of The Expanse, wasn't thrilled with it, though it was certainly intriguing. I'm putting it on the back burner for now, I just started Breaking Bad.

I didn't get the Expanse either. I gave up after Season 1.

I'm surprised you haven't watched Breaking Bad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:24 pm 

I know. Been meaning to watch that show for a long time but other ones kept getting in the way. Hope I can make it through before it hops onto another streamer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:24 pm 

Goddammit Canada, can you do anything right?

Kim's Convenience canceled!? This will not stand! :doom:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:

Under strange circumstances, too. The creators said they were done creatively, but the actors were seemingly caught by surprise, and said they were all ready for season six. The show is very Toronto, but it's a fun watch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:30 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Under strange circumstances, too. The creators said they were done creatively, but the actors were seemingly caught by surprise, and said they were all ready for season six. The show is very Toronto, but it's a fun watch.

"Authenticity of storytelling is at the center of the success of Kim's Convenience. At the end of production on Season 5, our two co-creators confirmed they were moving on to other projects. Given their departure from the series, we have come to the difficult conclusion that we cannot deliver another season of the same heart and quality that has made the show so special. Kim's Convenience has meant so much to our cast, writers, crew, and audiences around the world. Despite the restrictions and complications of shooting during the pandemic, Season 5 is our finest season to date. It's been a privilege and a very great pleasure to work with the Kim's family of gifted writers and performers for the last five years. Thank you to our fans for the love and support you've given this show."

Too many shows go on beyond their expiry date. Nice to see a show go out well quality and interest remain high instead of milking the life out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:09 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Don’t recall if I mentioned it yet but the wife convinced me to give The Queen’s Gambit a try and I’m hooked. Anya Taylor-Joy turns in one of the best performances I’ve ever seen.

I avoided this one as it was about chess, and I like chess but a series centred around it didn't appeal to me. Finally gave in as the critical reviews were so high and they just racked up award after award. Glad I tried it.

Taylor-Joy's performance was amazing, she was just magnetic. The only female actor I could compare it to was Tatania Meslany in Orphan Black, both just blew me away. Overall a really good series that perhaps coulda/shoulda been a show or two shorter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:38 am 

Simu Liu, who played Jung Kim on the show, had a long IG live tonight to announce he adopted a dog during his vacation in the Dominican and also voice his feelings on the end of the show. He sounded mostly heartbroken and frustrated and also said he and the cast really wanted to move forward with another season. He also expressed some annoyance with his character’s overall arc in the show and thought there was a lot more they could’ve done with the character.

If I had a gripe with the show it’s the same one I had with another recently-canceled Asian-centric show, Fresh Off The Boat. Too often I felt like they opted for cutesy moments and laughs when they really could’ve done something a little more ambitious. I’m not asking for heavy drama all the time but too often they skirted around the show’s central conflict—the estrangement and later ongoing issues between Jung and his father Sang Il—without really addressing it. That particular plot hit home hard for me as I have had a very difficult relationship with my own Korean parental unit. The fact that this show is ending without that central conflict being resolved really sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:22 pm 
King of the One-Liner

E.L. wrote:
Scott 679 wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Also, went on Erik’s recommendation of Ted Lasso. I love it thus far and the fact it has so much genuine heart it’s a nice balm for otherwise depressing days.

My brother got me on to Ted Lasso, love it for the same reasons as you.

It's corny, I know it's corny, but I couldn't help but fall for its charms. Sometimes I just wanna watch something cheesy.

Watched 5 episodes of Ted Lasso this week and as a guy who tends to be far too cynical, grumpy, and closed off to people this show has got me taking a serious look at myself and almost yearning to have some of that sticky sweetness I see in this show. I mean I know I don't have it in me to be "sweet" but maybe I can add just a dash more here and there and be that little bit better to and for the people around me. Thing is I was familiar with the commercials with a version of this character so was not expecting this show to have anything resembling an emotional connection, let alone a strong one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:14 pm 

Cannot WAIT for Ted Lasso to come back. I'm even more thrilled that Jason Sudeikis has said he's taking a British television approach to the show and wants it to run only three seasons (though he said he was open to the possibility of more given the extremely positive reaction to the show). A shame that real life is mirroring what his character is going through (goddammit Harry Styles).

Just finished Loki last night. Overall I thought the show was brilliant--the set pieces were just amazing, and Owen Wilson, Sophia DiMartino, and Tom Hiddleston were at the top of their respective games. The finale though, did not wrap much of anything up. Part of that I get, a lot of these Marvel movies and TV shows are there to set up future Marvel projects (and also there's going to be a Season Two), but way too many loose threads were just left hanging for my tastes. A guy who might be considered the biggest Avengers villain of all time is introduced (yes, bigger than Loki, and frankly Thanos was never an "Avengers" villain) so that was huge, and the implications that have been hinted at by future Marvel projects on the big screen, notably the forthcoming Ant Man, Doctor Strange, and Spider-Man films, will reap the benefits of the fallout witnessed here. Sometimes though, I get a little annoyed when one of these projects is used as mostly a bridge to other projects rather than just telling a story in its own right. That's what annoyed me the most about Age of Ultron.

But whatever. Of the three Disney Plus television offerings, this one was by far my favorite thus far.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:36 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Agreed. I'd rank Wandavision ahead of Winter Soldier for #2 and 3.

I'm getting a little tired of heroes and villains being portrayed as "the most powerful hero/villain of all time!" with each Marvel movie or show. First, it was Ultron and his minions, then Thanos, followed by Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, and now the Timekeeper or whatever his name is...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:05 pm 

Warrior Nun is awesome..............I expected utter dribble based on the title but this show turned out to be a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:36 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Warrior Nun is awesome..............I expected utter dribble based on the title but this show turned out to be a lot of fun.

Forgot about Warrior Nun. I'll have to pick that one back up when I'm done with some other shows.

Finally finished season 5 of Kim's Convenience, in what appears to be that show's final run. It was never a huge masterpiece of a show but it's always nice to see a show with Asian faces in the lead achieve mainstream popularity.

A lot of times I'd forget it's a Canadian show until one of the characters apologized. "I'm soar-ry!" :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:54 am 
King of Men

Finally watching the 1st season of Catch-22 off Hulu. So far so good. Contemplating watching See......but I don't know. Anyone watched that yet? I was on the fence with Ted Lasso so maybe I will give that a shot.

Raised by Wolves anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:48 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Finally watching the 1st season of Catch-22 off Hulu. So far so good. Contemplating watching See......but I don't know. Anyone watched that yet? I was on the fence with Ted Lasso so maybe I will give that a shot.

Raised by Wolves anyone?

I saw the first episode of Raised by Wolves. Fuckin' WEIRD show...not entirely sure I really liked it but man, a lot of stuff sure does happen in that one episode alone. Pondering whether or not to watch more. I'd recommend watching that first episode and decide for yourself.

Have not yet watched See. Really want to though, as well as For All Mankind and Truth Be Told. I've got the Apple TV subscription, may as well use it. The Morning Show was rather disappointing but I'll give season two a try. Ted Lasso remains the jewel in their crown.

Also on Apple, Mr. Corman has been interesting thus far, we're only two episodes in.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:07 pm 

While sitting with a sleeping baby pinning me down late at night I've tried out some really silly shows that I know the wife would never watch.

The Kevin Smith-helmed Masters of the Universe reprisal was horribly disappointing. I may have mentioned it before, but if you were a fan of the Filmation original like I was when I was a kid, probably should avoid this one like the plague. Really disappointing, especially given the huge names involved with the project.

Blood of Zeus was absolutely ridiculous, but at least it delivered where Silent Bob did not. Bloody, violent, definitely not animation for the kids. Certainly dumb AF but still fun enough.

After a loooooooooooooooooong break I'm picking up where I left off at season one of Altered Carbon. A real shame this show didn't last past the second season as it's built around a novel concept that allows virtually any character to be recast at the drop of a hat. The execution feels a little off though, I'm not sure why we're doing virtual torture and zero-G knife fights but...whatever floats your boat. The best character by far is the Edgar Allan Poe hologram that runs the hotel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:16 pm 
Big in Japan

Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez solving mysteries? Sign me up!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:03 am 

Pokecheque wrote:

After a loooooooooooooooooong break I'm picking up where I left off at season one of Altered Carbon. A real shame this show didn't last past the second season as it's built around a novel concept that allows virtually any character to be recast at the drop of a hat. The execution feels a little off though, I'm not sure why we're doing virtual torture and zero-G knife fights but...whatever floats your boat. The best character by far is the Edgar Allan Poe hologram that runs the hotel.

I really enjoyed the first season a lot, struggling with the 2nd though. I watch a show, stop for a few weeks and watch another. It's not bad per se, just kinda reminds me of many other things I've seen before.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:36 am 
Old Man of the Post

I've quite enjoyed the first two eps of Marvel Studio's "What If?..." so far...
"
Also been enjoying "How the Universe Works", and no, Chris18, I wasn't actually around for all of it...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 57  Next