OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 57  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:07 pm 
King of the One-Liner

The Witcher makes me feel old. 6-7 episodes in and I don't mind watching it But the buzz it gets on line has me thinking am I just to old to get it? This is the next big show to many? Am I too cynical in my old age to appreciate some Zena like corny fantasy programming? No I also thought Zena was to corny to be great...it is the young people that are wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:30 am 
King of Men

Hounsy wrote:
The Witcher makes me feel old. 6-7 episodes in and I don't mind watching it But the buzz it gets on line has me thinking am I just to old to get it? This is the next big show to many? Am I too cynical in my old age to appreciate some Zena like corny fantasy programming? No I also thought Zena was to corny to be great...it is the young people that are wrong.

I thought the same thing until episodes 7 and 8 (which I enjoyed).

The Witcher has always been a confusing story line (I find Geralt a bit boring) and probably why I had a hard time getting into the games (haven't read the books and probably won't). The show itself jumped all over the place without even a blurb on when it was occurring. Even the games give you a clue when they jump around.

I thought Yennifer stole the show in that series.

Quite honestly I could take it or leave it. But It did help me go back and restart the Witcher 2 on an old Xbox 360 (never finished 2 or 3). Something about bland Geralt's need to bang every sorceress he meets has me wanting to make a witcher music video to Love Gun by Kiss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LFqT16sWLM

C'mon now.....don't tell me you don't see it!

I still liked the Expanse better/Doom Patrol and Discovery. I eagerly anticipate Picard on 1/23.

I have to be honest what I am having a hard time with is the these shows dropping the entire season. My wife wants to binge watch these things and I am telling her to milk it and enjoy the ride.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:50 am 
Big in Japan

Wife got a laptop for Xmas and with it came a free year of Apple TV. I wouldn't recommend paying for it. Morning Show is pure Sorkin-y trash full of pontificating and cringey dialogue. And it's not even by Sorkin!

The other Apple show we watched was Dickinson, a retelling of Emily Dickinson's life only it uses modern language (still set in the 1850s, though). It's part teen drama, part drunk history, part Marie Antoinette. I thought it was great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:14 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Wife got a laptop for Xmas and with it came a free year of Apple TV. I wouldn't recommend paying for it. Morning Show is pure Sorkin-y trash full of pontificating and cringey dialogue. And it's not even by Sorkin!

The other Apple show we watched was Dickinson, a retelling of Emily Dickinson's life only it uses modern language (still set in the 1850s, though). It's part teen drama, part drunk history, part Marie Antoinette. I thought it was great.

I want to watch See and For All Mankind before my subscription runs out.

Morning Show had all the trimmings of prestige television--every single shot was lavish to the extreme. And yeah, there was a total wannabe Sorkin vibe. But I just got the impression the show was not nearly as clever as it wanted to be. I hope they give Jennifer Aniston more scenes next season where she's not having to exude so much anger and anguish, it was like the writers were making her strain against all the feel-good characters she's ever played.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:25 am 

The Good Place wraps up with a satisfying, profound finale that left me fighting away tears at least twice. I thought I was going to completely lose it when Chidi talked about the wave in the ocean.

Four seasons to tell a silly, deep, amazing, and wildly ambitious tale. Well done, Michael Schur. This is what TV should be aiming to be.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:43 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
The Witcher is out on Netflix now.....adding that one to the queue. The Expanse has been excellent so far.

Part way through the 2nd season of The Expanse. Been awhile since I've been this fully engaged by a TV show. It may even become my favorite sci-fi TV show of all time if it continues to be as good for the upcoming seasons. It reminds me so much of the science fiction books I'd read when I was younger. The ones that actually focus on keeping the science right and Sci-fantasy stuff to a minimum.

If I have one complaint its the sort of main protagonist Jim Holden, really can't stand the character and wish they'd demote to the orchestra where he can play his violin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:18 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Anyone else watching Treadstone? On Ep.3 and it seems interesting so far...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:44 am 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
The Witcher is out on Netflix now.....adding that one to the queue. The Expanse has been excellent so far.

Part way through the 2nd season of The Expanse. Been awhile since I've been this fully engaged by a TV show. It may even become my favorite sci-fi TV show of all time if it continues to be as good for the upcoming seasons. It reminds me so much of the science fiction books I'd read when I was younger. The ones that actually focus on keeping the science right and Sci-fantasy stuff to a minimum.

If I have one complaint its the sort of main protagonist Jim Holden, really can't stand the character and wish they'd demote to the orchestra where he can play his violin.

Anam and I really enjoyed The Expanse. I'm planning on reading the books when I get through some of my backlog.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:53 am 
Big in Japan

Avenue 5 is amazing. The new show from the creators of The Thick of It and Veep, and starring Hugh Laurie as the incompetent captain of a tourist spaceship in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:06 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Avenue 5 is amazing. The new show from the creators of The Thick of It and Veep, and starring Hugh Laurie as the incompetent captain of a tourist spaceship in the future.

Creators of "The Thick of It" + Hugh Laurie sounds like a an absolute must see. Will check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:29 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Enjoying the revival of the western in the form of Disney's The Mandalorian... I'm sure I've missed more references to the Star Wars universe but I've enjoyed the ones I recognized.

Also watching Picard but it's starting to lose me... Picard just revealed he's got some incurable disease... Now setting up for the finale.

Has anyone else watched Mindhunter? Sadly, it's now on hold after two seasons, per Netflix. We had been watching Westworld but Season 2 was just atrocious... Any opinions on whether Season 3 is worth watching?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:05 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I've been going through first three seasons of Schitt's Creek the last couple of weeks and after a slow start in season one been getting a kick out of it. All over the top characters but the performers are for the most part really good and committed so it works.

Not surprising it feels like a TV version of the Waiting for Guffman, best in show, etc. stuff the Eugene Levy was a writer and actor in.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:44 am 

SNL Home! I'm surprised but I'm actually enjoying this show more than SNL. Maybe its just the novelty but pretty much every skit has me laughing, it just seems really fresh and original.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:18 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
SNL Home! I'm surprised but I'm actually enjoying this show more than SNL. Maybe its just the novelty but pretty much every skit has me laughing, it just seems really fresh and original.

It's forcing them to be more experimental, and I think the performers themselves have more of say in their own material. They really should let their people wing it more often.

Somewhat of a side note, I've read that any form of improv by anyone, especially the guest host, is met with severe punishment by Lorne Michaels. Adrien Brody was banned from SNL for life after doing an off-script bit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:16 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

It's forcing them to be more experimental, and I think the performers themselves have more of say in their own material. They really should let their people wing it more often.

Somewhat of a side note, I've read that any form of improv by anyone, especially the guest host, is met with severe punishment by Lorne Michaels. Adrien Brody was banned from SNL for life after doing an off-script bit.

Because comedy of all things, really ought to be very formulaic and rigid. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:25 am 
OTP Historian

I mentioned watching Red Green to Anam and it was a no go. Can't remember if I've shown it to her before, but apparently has seen it before and wasn't her thing :lol: :x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:51 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Because comedy of all things, really ought to be very formulaic and rigid. :roll:

I don't believe I've been a regular viewer of SNL since Mike Myers was on the show. That's how long it's been.

I will say the current Weekend Update (which IMO is usually their weakest skit of the night) is fantastic though, mainly because there does appear to be an element of surprise in there. Colin Jost and Michael Che can't keep a straight face (especially when Cecily Strong shows up as Jeannie Pirro) and continually keep trying to one-up each other.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:26 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

I don't believe I've been a regular viewer of SNL since Mike Myers was on the show. That's how long it's been.

I will say the current Weekend Update (which IMO is usually their weakest skit of the night) is fantastic though, mainly because there does appear to be an element of surprise in there. Colin Jost and Michael Che can't keep a straight face (especially when Cecily Strong shows up as Jeannie Pirro) and continually keep trying to one-up each other.

I've thought Michael Che was weaker this season last, used to prefer him over Jost but not any longer. Normally I think Weekend Update is the best part of the show but I'd actually consider it the weaker in the home version and the skits better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:10 pm 

The final episode (they haven't really said whether this is merely a season finale or series finale) of Dispatches from Elsewhere ended up being weirder than all the previous episodes put together. A super-meta twist on everything. I can't say I loved that particular storytelling choice, but it was bold and hella different. I give props to Jason Segel for creating and putting together something crazy and different, and doing so in 10 episodes rather than the requisite 20-25 that most American TV shows tend to stretch things out for.

I guess, if you're one of those fans who grew to hate "How I Met Your Mother" you can take solace in the fact that Jason Segel did too. He takes a very thinly-veiled jab in the final episode of this series (and himself in the process) at it being a monotonous, creatively unfulfilling cash grab.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:34 am 

The Parks & Rec reunion special was as good a revival as you could ask for. Everyone jumped right back into character and didn't miss a beat. And the cameos by everyone from Bobby Newport to Jean-Ralphio could not have been done better. They even found great ways to explain why couples who were supposed to be cohabitating were in completely different places (Andy Dwyer accidentally locked himself in the shed, for starters). They even found a way to incorporate Megan Mullally's Tammy 2!

This is the way I'd like to see my favorite shows do revivals. One quick special, in character. That's it. No full season, no unscripted stuff. Show me how everyone's doing, make some good jokes, and then leave it alone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 57  Next