OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:38 pm 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... g_way.html

about time is all I can say. Of course it could turn out to be the world's most successful program and the good ol US of A will still be considering the merits of the metric system 100 years from now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:08 pm 
King of Men

I understand that there is a place for Social programs and a reason they are there in the first place (because most humans with their eyes/minds closed really don't give a shit about each other). However if recreating the wheel removes bureaucracy I am all for it. With the understanding that each person given an income has certain expectations to go along with that income, coupled with the removal of corresponding social programs I think it would be a win for everyone.

I would certainly be more interested in this approach than giving my piece of flesh to a government entity to be doled out according to their programs. I also prefer the freedom, dignity, and flexibility of cash transfers so keep that in mind.

If someone chooses to blow their income on hookers and blow at the expense of food and shelter then so be it. They shouldn't be entitled to any more handouts beyond the income. Individual ownership seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur so this will be a tough sell. I like the idea though.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:32 pm 
King of Men

https://www.janus.com/bill-gross-investment-outlook

Quote:
Money for free! Well not exactly. The Piper that has to be paid will likely be paid for in the form of higher inflation, but that of course is what the central banks claim they want. What they don’t want is to be messed with and to become a government agency by proxy, but that may just be the price they will pay for a civilized society that is quickly becoming less civilized due to robotization. There is a rude end to flying helicopters, but the alternative is an immediate visit to austerity rehab and an extended recession. I suspect politicians and central bankers will choose to fly, instead of die.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:03 pm 
King of the One-Liner

With the current 1st world setup I suspect this would drive up the prices on staples and no one gets anywhere. Well other than the conglomerates they would have even more money.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:37 pm 
King of Men

http://www.businessinsider.com/india-in ... ?r=UK&IR=T

Quote:
"The most striking thing which we hadn’t actually anticipated is that the emancipatory effect was greater than the monetary effect. It enabled people to have a sense of control. They pooled some of the money to pay down their debts, they increased decisions on escaping from debt bondage. The women developed their own capacity to make their own decision about their own lives. The general tenor of all those communities has been remarkably positive," he said.

"As a consequence of this, the Indian government is coming out with a big report in January. As you can imagine that makes me very excited. It will basically say this is the way forward."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:31 pm 

Fingers crossed that they go forward with this. I worry about robots and automation and what will be left for jobs for the dumbest members of our society. Universal health care, free post secondary education, basic living allowance for all is the way to go imo. Automation and robotics make me nervous, the jobs they create are increasingly technical and out of the reach of many.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:03 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I have been in support of idea's that are very close to this for roughly a decade. Without going into details, we, as a species, can easily supply every human being with clean water, an adequate sewage disposal system, an adequate amount of food to sustain life, a proper form of housing to match the local environment, proper health care and as much education as the individual can stuff into their little heads. We can do this as a human right. I am not speaking of giving everybody a chance to loaf around and do nothing, but a real chance to become the best that individual can become without having to worry about their basic existence every day. Imagine the potential in humanity that this could unlock? I believe we can also do this now, without raising anyone's taxes by a penny. We have only to transfer the money we now spend on military expenditures into these basic human needs. Think about it for a moment. Why would we need such massive militaries that we currently have if everybody's basic needs were being met? I don't mean this as a utopian dream but something that is possible now. We will still need police forces and small coast guards to control crime but we won't need anywhere near the amount of negative expenditure for military purposes we are at now. What we have now is a fear-based economy. Let's turn it into a love based economy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:57 pm 

When the soon to be driver less cars and trucks and all the taxi, uber, delivery jobs that go with them disappear and all the other jobs in the cross hairs of automation I find myself changing on minimum wage and on the side of the hard line conservative right that minimal wage should be abolished. The lower the wage, the lower the likelihood of the job being automated. However that no minimum wage would have to be supported by a basic universal income.

Good read on the topic of universal income verses guaranteed jobs. Going to take some big thinking and a real culture change to address automation and the 20-50% of the population that will lose their jobs.

https://newrepublic.com/article/141664/america-must-divorce-dignity-work

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:38 pm 

Discussion on the science of poverty. One of the most well thought out and supported articles I've ever read and a total fuck you to the Horatio Alger myth. Discusses the biological and genetic changes to people, that turns poverty into a most likely generational outcome.

http://nautil.us/issue/47/consciousness/why-poverty-is-like-a-disease

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:52 pm 
King of Men

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 549087002/

That didn't work for Finland.

Quote:
A study published in February by the think tank Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development said the country's income tax must increase by almost 30% to fund basic income, and instead suggested a universal credit system as a better solution.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:57 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/25/finland-basic-income-685-fails/549087002/

That didn't work for Finland.

Quote:
A study published in February by the think tank Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development said the country's income tax must increase by almost 30% to fund basic income, and instead suggested a universal credit system as a better solution.

Wow, after doing a quick search on this, must say the more ideological right side of the media are all over this. Seems like its a bullshit story though.

Quote:
Miska Simanainen, a social affairs official, said the trial, where about 2,000 unemployed people aged 25-58 are being paid a tax-free €560 (£490) monthly income with no questions asked, was "proceeding as planned."

The €20m programme, which seeks to reform Finland's social security system, ends in December, at which point Prime Minister Juha Sipila's centre-right government will assess initial results.

The program doesn't end until December, the data won't be published until 2019. Way too soon to determine the results.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:39 am 
King of Men

Ha! Go figure, a slanted piece from USA TODAY denouncing basic income! Not too surprising...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:17 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydKcaIE6O1k

Good stuff, really interesting how poverty affects an individuals biology

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:12 am 
King of Men

I read an interesting piece on Basic Income and the coming AI....most people seem to think basic income will be a necessity to keep the machine moving.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:05 pm 
King of Men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nJpp5UmJyE

Lee Camp keeping it real with UBI!

Economist says:.......the most efficient way to spend money on the homeless might be to give it to them.

I'll take the beer and smokes!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:27 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nJpp5UmJyE

Lee Camp keeping it real with UBI!

Economist says:.......the most efficient way to spend money on the homeless might be to give it to them.

I'll take the beer and smokes!

the economists had to admit "that perhaps the most efficient way to help the homeless was to just give them money". That makes so much sense you just know it will never happen.

and the counter argument to "beer and cigarettes" is the case with Iran where they give money to everyone to raise income to 29% of national average. Only 5% of recipients did not look for work. Wealthy prefer to think the poor are all lazy and shiftless and would sit around smoking week all day if allowed to on ubi. Just a complete unwillingness of the elite to accept how much luck played a role in their success.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:28 pm 

thanks for the link Harmy, it was good listen and to quote him "fuck you I want to end poverty"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:38 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Great link - thanks Harmy! Love the parallel of a gambling to capitalism.

Quote:
Eradicating poverty in the US would cost $175 Billion, less than 1% of the GDP. That's roughly a quarter of the US.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:56 am 
King of Men

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5752714

Quote:
The New Leaf project is a joint study started in 2018 by Foundations for Social Change, a Vancouver-based charitable organization, and the University of British Columbia. After giving homeless Lower Mainland residents cash payments of $7,500, researchers checked on them over a year to see how they were faring.

Keep it up Canada...at least you are trying!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:45 am 
OTP Clown

This is brilliant. The money goes to the people who need it period we trust them to spend it on what they need to buy. And we eliminate the salaries of social workers and human resource consultants, which in my mind is a big win.

money to the poor not to creating more middle-class jobs and admin roles. This reduces both the scope and the power of government. Give them the money and then let's see what happens. I love this it's about trusting people to do what's best for them.