All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:07 pm 
King of Men

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/ ... ndex=36693

Quote:
Marine gunnery sergeant jailed 90 days for adultery
By Steve Liewer (Contact) Union-Tribune Staff Writer
7:59 p.m. January 13, 2009
SAN DIEGO — A married gunnery sergeant pleaded guilty Tuesday to adultery after having sex with the widow of a fellow Marine who had died in Afghanistan three weeks before.
A panel of two officers and six enlisted Marines sentenced Stephen Kuehler, 30, a recruiter in suburban St. Louis, to 90 days in prison during a court-martial at Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego. The trial was held at the base because it is the regional headquarters for St. Louis-based recruiters.
Kuehler had recruited Pfc. Michael Patton when the teenager was still in high school. Patton joined the Marine Corps shortly after graduating in spring 2007 and married his high school sweetheart, Amy, after finishing boot camp in San Diego that summer.
Patton deployed with his unit to Afghanistan last April. He and three other Marines were killed June 14 when a roadside bomb blew up their Humvee.
On Tuesday, Amy Patton testified that even though she had met Kuehler only once, she promptly called him because her husband had respected the recruiter so much.
Kuehler attended Michael Patton's funeral. In the next few weeks, Amy Patton said, Kuehler took her to work out in the gym of the church they both attended and to the movies along with other Marines.
“He was very helpful,” she testified. “I considered him kind of a big-brother type.”
On July 4th, Amy Patton's mother invited Kuehler to join her family for a barbecue because his wife and children were out of town. Afterward, Kuehler took Amy to see a fireworks display in nearby Festus.
She said she didn't want to go home, so Kuehler invited her over to his house. She drank half a beer, a few sips of wine and some tequila while they watched television.
The alcohol made her drunk, she said, because of a prescription antidepressant she was taking. Kuehler invited her into the bedroom, where he had lighted two candles, and they had sex. Then he took her home.
In August, Amy Patton said, she told her mother about the encounter and reported it to the Marine Corps. About the same time, Kuehler confessed his indiscretion to his wife and chain of command. He has continued to work for the recruiting district, though not directly with potential recruits, said his supervisor, Sgt. Maj. Anthony Banks.
Kuehler's lawyer, David Ahn, said his client was grieving over Patton's death. “He tried to comfort the wife and the family. They got a little bit too close,” Ahn said. “He made a mistake.”
But the prosecutor, Capt. Tyler Hart, said Kuehler's conduct was more than an accidental error.
“He betrayed Amy Patton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:16 pm 
King of Men

This is crap. This guy should not have been jailed. Bottom line...he is a recruiter and they are always under the magnifying glass. He performed an action that damaged the public perception of the Corps and he pays for it. It happens all the time in the UCMJ. Especially under article 134 the catch all.

What bothers me the most is "supposed" Marines condemning this man. Obviously these Marines never spent extended periods of time away from loved ones. Or in all reality they really weren't service members. There's a reason they reference "jody's got your girl" all the time.

After watching marriage in the Corps there was no way I was getting married and bringing my wife along. It wouldn't have mattered if she was ugly betty. There's always some other Marine or service member willing to turn it out. I watched guys go on tour and some other guy from the same battalion move in the day the husband left. I've watched the wives patrol the e-clubs looking for 1 night stands on another base or when their husbands are away. I've witnessed guys doing another guys woman when he passed out a party. I've watched 20 year old guys wearing out 15-16 year old girls (both willing) and not think a damn thing about it (not that they should).

I am surprised I even got married at all after watching all that shit. I was never one of these guys but what I am saying is it was everywhere. I had friends that did it and felt no "moral code" to their fellow Marine. So the detractors spouting off about honor and commitment to Corps are full of shit. Jody was banging your girl while you were away too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Yup, given the extraordinarily stressful and lonely life a military couple leads it's understandable why it happens seemingly so often.

I think this is the Marines making an example out of this guy, mainly because he not only committed adultery, but banged the widow of a kid he recruited. Reading the article it seems to imply that the Marines believed he took advantage of an extremely delicate situation. I suppose they don't want other impressionable teens to think there are other recruiters out there who engage in the same behavior.

Nonetheless, I don't buy the bullshit argument (at least this is what I'm getting from the article) that this girl was somehow compromised. She didn't want to go home!? War widow or not, psychological issues and alcohol and pills aside, that girl knew exactly what could happen and call me crazy for thinking this, but it's possible she did so on purpose. Why? Did she want to ruin the life of the guy who sent her husband off to be killed? Yeah, a little far-fetched, but again, they seem to be portraying her as the victim here and I don't buy into that. Call me cold-blooded but that's my opinion.

Both individuals are definitely guilty of shitty judgment and shame on both of them. That being said, I agree Jay, this guy shouldn't be sent to jail for three months because he did a stupid thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:17 am 
Old Man of the Post

That's ridiculous... So the Marines are holding their recruiters to a higher moral standard than the rest of society would expect of itself? What a waste of time...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:55 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
That's ridiculous... So the Marines are holding their recruiters to a higher moral standard than the rest of society would expect of itself? What a waste of time...

As a matter of fact, yes, and IMO they should. They just shouldn't jail the guy for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:06 pm 
OTP Clown

Not only that - and no offense to the Marines, but many times you are recruiting people to kill other people. Sure it's for the country but if the marines are concerned about a morally higher standard, shouldn't they be using Quakers as recruiters?

I'm just sayin'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:00 am 
Flamer who Likes to Ride Rough

Or they could just go for the opposite in terms of standard of conduct....the RCMP

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... r-man.html