OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kiva Lending Team
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:16 am 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
The Ghana shea nut picker I gave a loan to last year hasn't paid back a cent yet. Hope that's not the end of my original 25$ I've been re-lending over the years.

Were they a periodic payback or everything at the end?

I signed up for a med student in the Dominican I think who won't be paying back until sometime in the 2020s and will take years lol. Didn't pay close attention to the payback schedule when I went into that one.

Finally got a partial repayment today. Only 18 bucks or so to go...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:09 am 
Big in Japan

Still got 25$ kicking around. Good luck, Prossy in Uganda https://www.kiva.org/invitedby/erik7436/for/1769914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:40 am 
King of Men

Thanks guys for keeping this going for so long. I am on a new kick for toilets in Asia. After having travelled a bit...you can never appreciate a nice toilet enough!

Squatting is just not something I am capable of!

Still love my Latin Women..

An Armenian and yet again another person from Africa bails out.

Sticking with Latin America and Asia!

This is truly the most bang for the buck I have ever received out of $100.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:37 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I just reached $1,000.00 in loans with a pair of loans to my favourite group, African women. My loans went to a dairy farmer and a group of women who sell sorghum drinks. I have managed this with $102.00 in deposits which has allowed me to make 40 loans since 2007. I have had 3 defaulted loans which according to the statistics of the site is pretty good. Onwards and upwards, gents.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:12 pm 
Big in Japan

RW wrote:
women who sell sorghum drinks.

:cheers: :beer:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:37 am 
OTP Historian

I'm up to $2300 lent on $337 in deposits. I've got enough credit that I can consistently make a loan every month. I only ended with one in default, a dude in Africa. 95 loans now, coming up on 100 soon.

My major lending is Pakistan and southeast Asia(Vietnam and Cambodia).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:48 am 
King of Men

Been a rough spell for Kiva repayment. 69 loans since 2007 at a deposit of $125 for $1,750 lent. I've also lost $20 of that to loan defaults for a delinquency rate of over 50%....ouch!

I've had A LOT of delinquent loans out there for a long time which has slowed down re-lending.

I guess that's just the way it goes.

Overall.....its probably the best thing we've ever done around here in terms of OTP community.

So hold your heads high! We crossed the 10K mark.

https://www.kiva.org/team/offthepost/impact

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:07 am 
King of Men

So as a thank you to all of you and an incentive to invest in the humans and more beer....I have given a present to each of you currently in the OTP team. Its not much but its something. Thanks boys!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:34 am 
Big in Japan

Whoa! A generous gesture! You're doing more to bring financial stability and freedom to pockets of the developing world than most governments and NGOs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:44 am 
OTP Historian

Whoah, that's awesome, Harmy! Thanks man!

https://www.kiva.org/lend/2183391

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:30 am 

I have enjoyed this since we started lending in 2007. We have lent almost $11,000 in that time through 435 loans. I have lent $1125 through 45 loans. I've lost $40.67 through defaults and currency loss but I don't care. Most of the time my borrowers pay it back and I lend it out again. Our team is smoking the average other teams by a lot. We have kept it up for 14 years. Well done lads.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:26 pm 

Just joined.. any advice on how to choose who to lend to? My yin wants to give everyone money and my yang says they're all scammers lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:48 pm 

BCG wrote:
Just joined.. any advice on how to choose who to lend to? My yin wants to give everyone money and my yang says they're all scammers lol

I picked a continent, Africa, that has always had great need. I, generally lend to women, or groups of women, as they usually are more diligent at paying back their loans. Expect to make mistakes and lose some or all of the loan. Mine was a hot filmmaker in the US. I just chalked it off to experience and added the $25 back into my account. Otherwise, I don't give a donation to Kiva with every loan. You'll have to edit the donation out at checkout. Turn the recommended donation into $0.00 and just cover your loan amount. I donate something to Kiva once a year or so. Have fun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:50 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
So as a thank you to all of you and an incentive to invest in the humans and more beer....I have given a present to each of you currently in the OTP team. Its not much but its something. Thanks boys!

Thanks, Jay. It went to a beer store in Burkina Faso. She is still looking for lenders.

https://www.kiva.org/lend/2183391

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:37 pm 

RW wrote:
BCG wrote:

I picked a continent, Africa, that has always had great need. I, generally lend to women, or groups of women, as they usually are more diligent at paying back their loans. Expect to make mistakes and lose some or all of the loan. Mine was a hot filmmaker in the US. I just chalked it off to experience and added the $25 back into my account. Otherwise, I don't give a donation to Kiva with every loan. You'll have to edit the donation out at checkout. Turn the recommended donation into $0.00 and just cover your loan amount. I donate something to Kiva once a year or so. Have fun

Thanks for the advice RW. Made my first loan, which just happened to be in Africa :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:31 am 
OTP Historian

BCG wrote:
RW wrote:
BCG wrote:

Thanks for the advice RW. Made my first loan, which just happened to be in Africa :cheers:

:cheers:

I tend to lend almost 100% to women, a lot in Southeast Asia and Pakistan. A lot in agriculture.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:35 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

I've branched out a bit recently, donated a bit to education funds and more infrastructure related things, but agriculture and small business vendors are the most common, mostly led by women. I've lent out to pretty much anywhere.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I think my account got dissolved a while ago. Either way there's no way in hell I can access it now, so I started a new one and found the OTP group.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:27 pm 

scratchham wrote:
I've branched out a bit recently, donated a bit to education funds and more infrastructure related things, but agriculture and small business vendors are the most common, mostly led by women. I've lent out to pretty much anywhere.

Education projects really got my attention too - which is also what I invested in. My family made a big deal about education to the point where Dad has established a charity fund for educating kids in Pakistan in a non-religious environment. IMHO, it's the best way to get people out of poverty and towards independence.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:28 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
I think my account got dissolved a while ago. Either way there's no way in hell I can access it now, so I started a new one and found the OTP group.

:cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next