OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:39 am 
King of Men

Hounsy wrote:
I as well did not really get Gravity. I mean it was tolerable due to it being a very short movie, but as seems to often be the case a big Oscar performers just kinda makes me bored. Always figure it was my lack of refinement.

Went to Godzilla on the weekend. Starts well with interesting back story and some scientist/engineer type characters I'm digging . Then sadly the need to make the human element all about a stereotypical all American chiseled jaw army guy with his beautiful family really thumps the momentum out the middle of this movie for me. Then the final third everything ramps up and once you take a few minutes to wake up again finishes in a glorious finish of sound and imagery. In summary good build up in the first third, brutal disinterest through the middle third, and all kinds of awesome in the final third.

Going to give it a sad 3 out of 5. Sad because they had the pieces in place to make a great movie and blew it bad.

You and I both I suppose.

That's too bad about Godzilla...is it as bad as the Matthew Broderick one?

I did see the Prisoners as well and that was pretty good. Fairly disturbing if you have kids.

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:46 am 
King of the One-Liner

No not really because Godzilla is so awesome and truly Godzilla in the this one compared to the angry big lizard creature Bodreick co-starred with. As I said it is only the middle that has a problem in the new Godzilla and the rest is great.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:40 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Saw Godzilla. Came away a tad disappointed only because the script tries WAY too hard to make the characters (apart from Godzilla) relevant. They could've just gone with Ken Watanabe and no one else the entire time and the film would've been better off.

Still, the director wisely put in all the elements that made the cheesy Japanese films so awesome. From the first time he lets out the iconic roar to the time he finally lets the atomic breath rip, I felt like a kid again.

Three pucks, though I still liked Pacific Rim better.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:21 pm 

"Ted" finally made its way to the top of the Netflix queue. Can't help but think Seth MacFarlane was trying his damndest to bone someone in the cast since nearly every single female part, even the bit ones, were played by incredibly hot actresses. Even the wife commented on it.

Whatever, it wasn't entirely terrible. Even managed to get me to laugh out loud a few times (the "hooker shit" scene was pretty hilarious). And it pays homage (backhandedly) to one of cinema's all-time awesomest cheese-fests, Flash Gordon.

Two pucks. Probably would've gotten four if I had been high while watching it.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:29 am 

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Not bad, a bit long, but you had to expect a plot this complex was going to take some time to wring out. I must admit the Sentinels were a bit disappointing (I expected something a lot bulkier and more akin to the comic book versions) but the movie goes a long way toward erasing the cinematic shitstain that was X-Men: The Last Stand, and that makes the film worth it.

Continuity (and historical) errors aplenty, but hey, it wouldn't be an X-Men story without those.

Three pucks.

Oh, and of all the new characters, Blink was totally badass, even though I don't think she had a single line.

And if you need to piss after drinking that giant theatre soda, you need not wait for the post-credits sequence. Not really worth it.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:51 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Oh, and of all the new characters, Blink was totally badass, even though I don't think she had a single line.

I still have all of the Phalanx Covenant comics in a box in my closet. A bunch of Gen-X ones too, as well as most of the Age of Apocalypse ones. I'm missing one or two from that entire series.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:27 am 

Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

I still have all of the Phalanx Covenant comics in a box in my closet. A bunch of Gen-X ones too, as well as most of the Age of Apocalypse ones. I'm missing one or two from that entire series.

Haven't read the AoA stuff in a long time, wonder if any of that will be incorporated into the final film. It's set in the 80s and probably won't involve all the alternate reality-schtick the comic books did, so I'm curious what they'll do.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:31 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Haven't read the AoA stuff in a long time, wonder if any of that will be incorporated into the final film. It's set in the 80s and probably won't involve all the alternate reality-schtick the comic books did, so I'm curious what they'll do.

Yeah, I have a hard time imagining them going alternate reality from a 4-month series from the mid-90s. I remember being skeptical when it first game out, but man that was great. Some of the issues leading into it were fantastic, including Wolverine #90.

There's still a ton that they can explore in future films if they don't make the next one the final. I can't wait to see this one.

Has HBO taken a comic book and turned it into a show? Punisher...holy shit.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:45 am 

Bosc wrote:
Has HBO taken a comic book and turned it into a show? Punisher...holy shit.

There was actually a Punisher series in development for FOX back in 2012, but I think they scuttled it. It sounded like it was going to be a boring-ass procedural, so thank the geek gods it was punted, though IMDB has a page saying it'll start in 2014.

A Daredevil series is slated to begin on Netflix and they just cast the lead. Good to hear they're leaving that horrid Affleck film behind.

HBO was all set to do Preacher, but it fell apart. Apparently the project has been revived at AMC. And hey, if they can do the Walking Dead, they can probably do Preacher, but geez, it's gonna be hard to make adapt a work that would be raunchy and sacrilegious even for a rated-R film.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:30 pm 

Veronica Mars

Decent, but far from great. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about the fact that Veronica and her friends have all outgrown the show's central premise of a teenage private eye solving crimes. Despite that it at least gives closure that we didn't have when the show was abruptly canceled 7(!) years ago, but also leaving things wide open for a sequel. Cameos aplenty from the old cast (some seemingly crammed in there but hey it still worked) although I just didn't buy the whole "Carrie Bishop is a pop star" thing, especially since Leighton Meester somehow couldn't find the time to reprise her role. What the fuck is she doing nowadays other than marrying that guy from the O.C.?

Three pucks, though I kinda hope there isn't a sequel. This was a good-enough capper. Besides, they're running out of people to kill.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:35 pm 

Man, ever since we discovered $5 movie night in the reclining electric seat theatre we've been going practically every week.

Edge of Tomorrow

It's too bad they chose to change the title to something to bland at the last minute, but despite that it's a decent sci-fi film. I'd wait until DVD though.

Three pucks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:48 pm 

Finally saw Cloud Atlas last night. Without a doubt the best effort from the Wachowskis since the first Matrix film.

While the makeup in some aspects falls well short of the mark--particularly turning non-Asian actors into Koreans and vice versa--it's neat to see something this ambitious done with relative success.

I feel kinda bad for Hugo Weaving though. He was the only actor who was a bad guy (and one bad girl) in every role he played in this film. Only Peter Jackson has let him be anything else.

Also, quite jarring to see Hugh Grant painted up like a murderous futuristic cannibal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:03 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Finally saw Cloud Atlas last night. Without a doubt the best effort from the Wachowskis since the first Matrix film.

While the makeup in some aspects falls well short of the mark--particularly turning non-Asian actors into Koreans and vice versa--it's neat to see something this ambitious done with relative success.

I feel kinda bad for Hugo Weaving though. He was the only actor who was a bad guy (and one bad girl) in every role he played in this film. Only Peter Jackson has let him be anything else.

Also, quite jarring to see Hugh Grant painted up like a murderous futuristic cannibal.

He was the good guy in V for Vendetta although you never actually see behind the mask. Although to me he is so typecast by the roll in the matrix. I don't know why but I just can't get past it when I see him anything else, his is the one role in LoTR i'd change cause I just see Smith.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:54 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

He was the good guy in V for Vendetta although you never actually see behind the mask. Although to me he is so typecast by the roll in the matrix. I don't know why but I just can't get past it when I see him anything else, his is the one role in LoTR i'd change cause I just see Smith.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:25 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Fogghorn wrote:
He was the good guy in V for Vendetta although you never actually see behind the mask.

I was cheering against him, so I don't count that. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:07 pm 

The wife just happened to DVR Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, and wow, talk about a completely mis-marketed movie. Much more poignant than the previews led you to believe.

And, I don't think this is a spoiler here, there is no cop-out at the end.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:26 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Av-merican wrote:
Man, ever since we discovered $5 movie night in the reclining electric seat theatre we've been going practically every week.

Edge of Tomorrow

It's too bad they chose to change the title to something to bland at the last minute, but despite that it's a decent sci-fi film. I'd wait until DVD though.

Three pucks.

Saw this earlier this week at the theater and I thought it was great except for the audio from Michael Bay fiasco blasting through the walls from the movie next door. For a time travel movie, I thought EoT was great and I could only come up with one minor WTF moment. Great action movie in spite of Tom Cruise; and there are some genuinely funny moments. If you haven't seen it, think Groundhog Day with Aliens. Or if a gamer made a really good sci-fi movie, it would probably look something like this.

Four and a half pucks. Five if Transformers wasn't playing at volume 11 next door.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:22 pm 

Got to see The Grand Budapest Hotel, another fine installment in the Wes Anderson repertoire. However, I can't help but think that with this and Moonrise Kingdom before it, Anderson is getting a little too Anderson-ish. If his films get any quirkier they'll be the cinematic equivalent of Zooey Deschanel on too much sugar. This movie features Ralph Fiennes' best performance of his career...he definitely looks like he's having fun.

Despite all that, it was still pretty cool to see nearly every star who's ever been in a Wes Anderson film show up for at least a cameo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:16 pm 
King of the One-Liner

So watched Winter Soldier and the new Thor now and all I can keep thinking is why are the other Avenger dudes not showing up to help?

Good movies all the same but that thought would not go away.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:48 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
So watched Winter Soldier and the new Thor now and all I can keep thinking is why are the other Avenger dudes not showing up to help?

Good movies all the same but that thought would not go away.

Age old problem in the comic books as well. The only one whose presence can be explained away is Iron Man, who "retired" at the end of 3.

But the usual line is "They were busy doing something else at the time."

One problem they might run into in the Avengers films is explaining why they aren't letting War Machine and Falcon into the club.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 32  Next