OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Jason Bourne

If you liked the other films, you'll like this one. That's about it.

Three pucks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:39 pm 

Sat down to watch Paper Towns. Not a big fan of the film but the soundtrack is pretty good. Not sure how many pucks you give that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:56 pm 

Doctor Strange

Took the morning off work to see this one. I didn't have super-high expectations but I figured, hey, they brought Benedict Cumberbatch into the Marvel fold, this should be good. And it was...kinda.

Mads Mikkelsen is the best go-to guy around (apart from Christoph Waltz I suppose) when you want a guy to play base villainy, but he seems kinda wasted here in a rather generic role. Tilda Swinton however is her usual awesome androgynous self. I don't get the casting controversy at all. I don't think we needed James Hong to reprise his role from Big Trouble in Little China (which...on second thought, might have been really awesome) since that would've been a more faithful adaptation of the source material.

Anyway, this felt too much like a "setup" movie, kind of like the previous Avengers film, instead of being a good film just by itself. One other problem might also be that Doctor Strange is one character I don't think Marvel has ever quite figured out. Since there's really no way to define his powers he's always been relegated to a walking plot device. Any time any other character faces off against some sort of mystical foe, he shows up. I've never really read one of his stand-alone adventures and said "Wow, that was great." Also, his rogues gallery I think consists of two villains, and they both show up in this film.

Not a terrible movie, and certainly not as frickin' dull as Avengers: Age of Ultron, but I think you can wait for the DVD/stream.

2.5 pucks.

Oh, and the score for this movie is like all the other Marvel movie scores...unmemorable. Can't help but wonder why that is, they certainly hire some decent people to do the music for these things, but I guess we're a long ways from the days of John Williams composing iconic themes like, say, Superman.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:30 am 

Saw Rogue One with my father, continuing a tradition that has lasted nearly 40 years (my parents claim they took me to Episode IV when I was a baby). Father-in-Law tagged along this time.

Wish I could say it was as good as the glowing reviews posted online said. That said it was still an enjoyable film that had about everything you could ask for in a SW film in terms of spectacle. And I loved the fact that it prominently featured two Asian actors!

Definitely worth seeing. Especially for one very badass Darth Vader scene. Three pucks, or maybe two pucks and a Butch.

Heard the news about Carrie Fisher about an hour later. If this year starts by taking Bowie and ends by taking Princess Leia I think I'll just be taking next year off.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:50 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I really enjoyed Rogue One, Story was good with a nice tie in to the original, good characters, and it looked fantastic. Maybe one of the best use of 3d and special effects I have seen it was seamless and unobtrusive, yet functional.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:40 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
I really enjoyed Rogue One, Story was good with a nice tie in to the original, good characters, and it looked fantastic. Maybe one of the best use of 3d and special effects I have seen it was seamless and unobtrusive, yet functional.

I agree, but we are still not at the point where CG can recreate faces from yesteryear.

But I do love the fact they've learned the lessons from the prequels and nearly all scenes are now shot on-location. No more green screen bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:07 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Family movie night few days ago to see Wonder Woman and thoroughly enjoyed it a lot. Reminded me of the 1st Ironman movie experience for me in the sense that the lead as that character was so riveting to watch in the role I wonder how much that masked any short comings someone less enthralled with character would see. Looked spectacular with lots of day light action scenes, the "fish out of water" section developed the character and threw in some nice chuckles, and the Amazons and their Island while not long on screen time was impressive. Guess the Baddies could have been hashed out better, but that would have lead to less Wonder Woman screen time so I'm not complaining. The called it an Origin story and it did a great job of telling me where she came from, what made her what she is, and what made her how she is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:47 pm 

Wonder Woman

It possesses a lot of the good and bad things about superhero movies these days. I'll admit I didn't like it quite as much as I had hoped but still found it to be very enjoyable. The beach battle scene between the Amazons and Proto-Nazis was my favorite, with the scene of WW coming out of the trench and singlehandedly take on an entire army a close second.

Despite my misgivings I still think it's worth four pucks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:19 pm 

Kubo and the Two Strings. One of the best animated movies I've seen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4302938/

Definitely check it out AV, I think you'll love it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:02 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Kubo and the Two Strings. One of the best animated movies I've seen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4302938/

Definitely check it out AV, I think you'll love it.

Oh I saw it, brother. I absolutely love the people at LAIKA. Wish their stuff was as appreciated as the big computerized animation films.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:52 pm 
OTP Historian

Fargo is so great.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:20 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Went to see Justice League last night and enjoyed it, not a great movie but a good movie. It was light and rushed sure, but as a guy who likes watching super heroes be super heroes on a big screen it was fun. Suspect if they make an extended cut for video release I would really like it a lot as the rushing of parts was the biggest issue for me. So yeah not doing so great with the traditional critics crowd if you don't mind some lighter fair super hero action I think you will be happy with it.

On that note I felt almost the exact same way about the Thor Ragnarok with it also being light, fun, but short the emotional punch to be great. though that movie did seem to hit with the critics.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:01 pm 
OTP Historian

Inhumans was pretty boring and pointless...

Defenders was entertaining.

Snatch is pretty entertaining.

Enjoyed thew new Star Trek series. I'm by no means a Trekkie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:09 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Star Wars was all right, just a few too many lulls to be very good. Though as a kid of the late 70's early 80's the use of the my generations characters was good and it stung a little how much this one felt like the handing off of it by them. Mark Hamill's greatest performance in a Star Wars movie oddly enough.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:54 am 

Ready Player One

The wife bought tickets for us to see this for our 8th anniversary, which was a very sweet gesture. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I actually wasn't that psyched to see this one after watching the lackluster trailers, and, well, I left the theatre thoroughly unimpressed. What killed me is that, for what I've been told (haven't read the book but I'm going to someday) the tale is a fantastic paean to the greatest era in pop culture history--the 1980s. I'm an 80s nut so this tale seems right up my alley. Unfortunately it ends up being a very mediocre pop pastiche of all kinds of different eras from the 70s right up until now, and the 80s stuff just seems kinda tacked on. I can't believe STEVEN SPIELBERG of all fucking people couldn't capture the look and feel of what could have and should have been the Ultimate 80s Movie...the Stranger Things brothers did it without even really breaking a sweat. So very disappointing. There's some fun moments to be sure, I did enjoy a Gundam and an Iron Giant battling it out with Mechagodzilla but otherwise...meh. I'd recommend you skip this one.

No pucks. Not that it sucked royally...it just wasn't that good. I think I would've enjoyed it more had it been thoroughly terrible.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:28 am 
King of the One-Liner

Infinity War

Rather good for how hard I think it is to bring so many characters into one movie and the bad guy was the best part for me which is so often not the case these days with Comic book movies. That said it is worthy of some criticism that I mostly do not see it getting in reviews. At this point I am convinced that Disney is some sort of entertainment mafia that no one dares disturb. It is a Marvel movie, they look slick and have a bunch of good laughs but fail to hit emotionally for the most part. Oh and lack a memorable and influential soundtrack which might make for part of the short of emotion issue.

I succeeded in seeing it spoiler free which I think is a big plus for this one.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:10 pm 

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Went into this thinking it was going to be more watered down mediocrity like most Star Wars stuff that's been offered up since the original trilogy concluded but hoping it was fun. This film blew past those modest expectations and then some. Without a doubt the best Star Wars offering I can remember since, well, 1983.

And now I see what the missing ingredient has been since Return of the Jedi--Lawrence Kasdan, who penned the original scripts but opted out of the prequels when George Lucas approached him. He and his son Jonathan wrote this one and they manage to capture some of the magic that just wasn't there before. The train robbery scene alone was worth it for me.

Also, the film gets an added boost once the multi-talented Donald Glover graces the screen. People are now clamoring for a Lando Calrissian movie and frankly I don't see why not if Glover is the lead.

Oh, and all the concerns about Alden Ehrenreich needing an acting coach and blah blah blah were unfounded. He does just fine playing the Star Wars universe's best character.

Five Pucks. I might be overhyping this one but I'm definitely going to own this one, and I don't buy films very often.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:27 pm 

Dead Pool 2

As good a popcorn, sheer fun movie as is possible. Loved it, even more than the first which I thought was great.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:31 am 

Avengers: Infinity War

No spoilers but man...that was a depressing film.

Anyway, I've been invested in these films since the beginning. There have been some misfires but the payoff of seeing all these characters brought together into one unimaginably big blockbuster was a delight. Casual fans should probably wait until it comes out on DVD. It's 2 hours and 36 minutes (!!!) but very little of it is wasted. I get why some people might not like it but to me it worked. Also a surprise cameo from a past villain that was interesting to say the least.

And FFS stay after the credits!

Not gonna give it a puck rating yet, because even though it was nearly 3 hours long...it's only half a movie. We'll see if they can really get this thing wrapped up proper in a year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:50 pm 
OTP Historian

Waaait...the guy who wrote the screenplays for X-Men and X-Men 2, David Hayter, was also the dude who did the voices for Snake across the Metal Gear Solid franchise until the most recent one where he was replaced by Kiefer Sutherland? I feel like I should have known this...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 32  Next