OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:12 pm 

If by new trio you mean John Boyega and Oscar Isaac I thought they were bad. I just found Issac annoying. Boyega can act but his body movement in the action scenes look like he has never done anything athletic in his whole life. Next time you see the film, just watch him run, it just cries out that he was always last picked for the team. He just appears so uncoordinated doing anything more than walking and standing. And once I started noticing it, I couldn't quit noticing and it completely distracted me from his performance because his body balance and movement were so wrong. So in his final fight scene all I would look at were how many cuts they had to make and splice together to get a semblance of the kind of battle required. This is not the next Han Solo, Harrison could do his own work and do it well.

I'm laughing now, because I'm guessing next time you watch and if you see the same thing I did, you won't be able to quit noticing and I'll have wrecked him for you........... :lol: sorry, sort of.

Just read that JJ Abrams is not directing #8, yea!.......but next reaction was who the hell is Rian Johnson? checks IMDB, oh I liked Looper and and Brothers Bloom but he has a pretty small resume for undertaking something like this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:49 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Actually I might enjoy the film more if I notice that because it'll remind me of Sam Rockwell's character in Galaxy Quest, specifically the scene where he's trying to act all badass while trying simultaneously scared out of his mind. :lol:

Llewyn Davis seemed fine to me. Didn't overdo it, didn't try to imitate Han Solo IMO. I suppose I'm a bit biased since I've liked Oscar Issac in most stuff I've seen him do (most recently in "A Most Violent Year"). Of course he didn't have a huge role in the film so I suppose we'll see.

Johnson first caught my attention with "Brick," which is also quite enjoyable even though IMO it also wasn't great. Again, this could backfire spectacularly, but it's a worthy gamble.

Funny how social media now has a profound effect on how we view celebrities. John Boyega is quite engaging and humorous on Instagram, he definitely is having a blast and doesn't take himself too seriously. I initially thought his performance was a bit overdone, but then again he was playing a former Stormtrooper with not-great social skills so that may have been warranted. Also, Hammill's first performance as Luke Skywalker wasn't great either, he definitely grew into the role in the subsequent films.

Whatever the case, they definitely hit the nail on the head with Daisy Ridley.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:07 pm 

Methinks George Lucas is a tad bitter.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/30/ge ... -interview

It's understandable to a point (having such a dedicated army of fans turn on you and then ultimately ignoring you has to sting like hell) but no one held a gun to his head when he took all those billions of dollars, precisely so they didn't need to involve him in any way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:50 pm 
OTP Historian

Watched a couple of space-related movies. Both Anam and I liked Interstellar infinitely better than Gravity. I'd watch Interstellar again in a heartbeat. Loved it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:47 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Methinks George Lucas is a tad bitter.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/30/ge ... -interview

It's understandable to a point (having such a dedicated army of fans turn on you and then ultimately ignoring you has to sting like hell) but no one held a gun to his head when he took all those billions of dollars, precisely so they didn't need to involve him in any way.

I'd have to say he's completely right on this though

Quote:
studios became more risk-averse, only wanting to bet on “sure” things. “The other thing that got abused,” Lucas explains, “the studios and everything said, ‘Wow, we can make a lot of money. This is the license to kill.’ And they did it. And the only way you can do that is not take chances, only do something that’s proven. … Now, if you do anything that’s not a sequel, or not a TV series, or doesn’t look like one, they won’t do it.”

Unless you're a Cameron or Spielberg and a few others, they really are not into originality and its too bad because that was what made the first Star Wars so great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:31 pm 

Saw The Revenant aka "What's a Guy Gotta Fucking DO to Get an Oscar Around Here!?" I was actually more taken with Tom Hardy's performance than Leo's but you certainly can't say he didn't put his all into the role of Hugh Glass.

The movie itself was quite enjoyable. There's even a Star Wars-esque moment. You'll see what I mean.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:29 am 

Finally made my way through "Synecdoche, New York," Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut and starring the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. I've been waiting years to watch this one. Easily Kaufman's most ambitious endeavor to day (though that'll change very quickly once "Anomalisa" comes out) it's almost as if he tried to cram every weird, surrealistic idea he could think of into this film. I'm still not entirely sure what I saw, I liked it but it wasn't a great film, certainly not nearly as amazing as "Adaptation" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." Still, it's worth a watch if you're bored and want to see something different. My wife was steamed at me after trying to muddle through the first hour. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:15 am 
OTP Historian

Mad Max was great. Wish I had seen it in theatres, looked like it would have been a good one to see on the big screen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:06 pm 

Deadpool was fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:27 pm 
OTP Historian

I don't think I will ever get tired of watching the Tron movies.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:32 pm 

Bosc wrote:
I don't think I will ever get tired of watching the Tron movies.

Yeah...I wish Disney would give it one more go. Maybe they will someday. I hope we don't have to wait 20+ more years though.

One thing's for sure though, it's the best soundtrack for a just-okay movie since Last Action Hero.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:57 am 

Turbo Kid might be the best thing to come out of Quebec since Jessica Paré.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:44 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
The Martian. Good to see Ridley Scott put one firmly in the win column once again.

Now begins the long wait for December and that one obscure sci-fi film comes out.

Really enjoyed The Martian as well. Great dialogue in that one.

Also watched Spectre and enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:53 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
The Martian. Good to see Ridley Scott put one firmly in the win column once again.

Now begins the long wait for December and that one obscure sci-fi film comes out.

Really enjoyed The Martian as well. Great dialogue in that one.

Also watched Spectre and enjoyed it.

I've got mixed feelings on Spectre. Absolutely fantastic, pitch-perfect buildup that leads to a very disappointing finish. The climactic chase felt so contrived and rushed, not to mention the female lead conveniently "leaving" James so she can go and get herself kidnapped. I thought the Bond "reboot" was all about doing away with these sorts of lame tropes. I was hoping that was part of some sort of ruse to snag the villains in a trap but, alas, it wasn't.

Waltz, as always, makes for a great villain. I hope he gets another shot at doing it again with whoever the hell the new Bond is going to be. Craig is contractually obligated to do one more film, but it was pretty obvious this was his swan song. If Idris Elba ends up being the new 007 that would be all kinds of awesome.

My favorite part of the movie though was definitely Dave Bautista. He took a largely silent role and ran with it, he was a lot better than most of the two-bit muscleheads that permeate a lot of Bond films.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:27 pm 

Apologies if I already posted about Room. Enjoyed it quite a bit, and while Brie Larson definitely earned that Oscar, the kid was absolutely incredible. Not nearly as depressing as I had thought it was gonna be.

Also just saw Ricki and the Flash. Ugh. Don't know why I expected at least a little more, maybe because Meryl Streep and Diablo Cody teaming up just made me think it was at least gonna be fun. Just felt like everyone was going through the motions. About the only good thing I can say is that it was better than Diablo Cody's last outing (Paradise), which isn't saying much.

I need to quit wasting my time with mediocre TV and films.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:58 pm 

Captain America: Civil War

Warning: Minor spoiler will be below.

I really liked this film. It was everything the previous Avengers film was not. Fantastic action sequences and just enough characterization that did not feel forced like nearly every moment of Age of Ultron did.

Yes, the central villain and his nefarious plot come off a bit contrived, but that's kinda beside the point. And it does a better job than the comics crossover event it was based on in navigating the complicated politics at its center. In the comics, Iron Man goes batshit crazy and does horrible things. Here, you're not quite sure who to side with.

Oh, and Agent Carter deserved a better final fate than a text message. Strange they wouldn't feature her at all in this film since Hayley Atwell was on set to film some scenes. I'm guessing we'll have to wait for the DVD to see her. And I'm definitely gonna get that once it comes out.

No, the movie is not perfect, but for a film that features as many friggin' superheroes as this one and at a run time of over two hours, I never found myself bored at all.

The movie also sets the stage for the Black Panther and Spider-Man films coming up, and I'm pretty psyched about those after watching them in action here. Both characters get poignant screen time without cluttering up the film.

Now if Marvel would just get down to fixing the long slog that Agents of SHIELD has become, they might be batting .1000 again.

Four pucks.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:26 pm 
OTP Historian

Nightcrawler. Great movie. Very few movies will make you feel uncomfortable just watching it.

Anam said she didn't like it like she didn't like Taxi Driver.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:50 am 

X-Men: Apocalypse

I feel like I come from a different POV when it comes to the X-Men as opposed to most comic book nerds. While I love comic books, I never really got into the X-Men as much as nearly every other comic book geek did, and I also just don't get why so many people love these films. I've only enjoyed two of them from start to finish--the first two--and that first film is actually not aging all that well upon a second viewing. The fact they've basically told everyone the third film was effectively erased should tell you all you need to know. The series has redeemed itself a bit with these prequels, but I always have to hunt for awesome moments in every one. And yes, they're there, but there's never a cohesive storyline to really hold everything together. I suppose in a way that's about the best nod they could give to the X-Men, as the source material was also a bit less-than-cohesive at times.

Anyhow, it always feels like a big bummer when they have a crack at a really cool character (Havok, Archangel) and clearly have no idea what to do with him/her. This also marks the third appearance of Havok on the big screen and he almost literally does what he did in the previous two films--fire stuff from his chest to blow shit up two separate times. And the script definitely struggled to fit the Beast into the action this time. I imagine Nicholas Hoult had to be just a bit annoyed given how little he gets to do here. Quicksilver, on the other hand, pretty much owns every scene he's in.

Apocalypse, when all is said and done, is really not that great a villain. He actually WAS a pretty interesting one when he started out, before they sucked him into all the X-books and we kept being told he was a big deal without ever really figuring out why. Same kinda goes here. And yeah, the critical backlash over the characters Power Rangers-esque design is definitely warranted.

Lastly, while I love Jennifer Lawrence and believe her to be a top-flight actress, I have absolutely hated her performance in these films. And that's really not her fault--when the producers stuck her in the blue paint they must've told the director and screenwriter to make her a central character, something she's never been in the comics. Even an Academy Award-winning actress can't make it look anything other than forced. Mystique's not a hero, never has been. That's what made her interesting. Hard to believe Rebecca Romijn seemingly had a better take on this character than Jennifer Lawrence, but that's really what it feels like.

All in all, I was looking for an excuse to get out of the house as the wife wanted to have a girls' night. I really didn't have high expectations for this one. I still walked away a little annoyed though.

There was, however, one supremely awesome moment the 90s teenager in me absolutely loved. This might be a bit of a spoiler, but really, if you think it is, fuck off.

Yup, after dicking around with leather jumpsuits and weird armor getups, the filmmakers finally give the X-Men their actual comic book costumes. Seriously, the faithfulness to these designs is kinda...uncanny. :P

Two pucks. Next up is Hugh Jackman's final performance as Wolverine, a take on the now-classic storyline "Old Man Logan." Seeing as how the Hulk is the villain in that story and Fox doesn't own the rights to that character, I'm somewhat curious to see what they do there.

P.S.: It really should be noted--the body count in this film is staggering. Just watch it. You'll see. If this movie was supposed to convince me that mutants shouldn't be rounded up and locked up, they did a pretty shitty job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:26 am 
OTP Historian

Even though she had already gotten an Academy Award nom, Lawrence's Mystique in DOFP kind of felt to me like "Well she became a massive star after First Class so we had better make her important!".

I was a bigger fan of X3 than most(probably Origins:Wolverine too), even though I did read the comics religiously for a few years. Still looking forward to watching this one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:21 pm 

Star Trek Beyond

Unlike the last disjointed mess, this venture of the Enterprise crew actually worked. It wasn't perfect but it was, to me, the most enjoyable Trek film since First Contact. That first trailer gave me some real reservations but for the most part this came together quite nicely. Most definitely the best Trek film that did not involve time travel or Ricardo Montalban.

The whole "Sulu is gay" thing wasn't even worth getting worked up about one way or another if anyone was wondering.

The best part was a very poignant tribute to Leonard Nimoy that actually ends up being integral to the story without feeling forced. You'll just have to watch to see what I mean. And the late Anton Yelchin gets to feature prominently in what ended up being his final Trek film (and I believe his final live action film period).

Four pucks. It's worth seeing in the theatres.

BTW, spoilers if you're curious: The Beastie Boys literally end up saving the day!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 32  Next