OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Saw a movie in theatres for the first time in years: Bob's Burgers. Basically a longer episode, which was just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:26 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well, finally saw Dune, and I'm still processing it...not sure what to think. Denis Villeneuve sure knows how to make a great visual--in that regard he's probably the best in the business. But...I dunno. I look forward to the 2nd part of this and maybe we'll see it all come together. This whole film just felt half-formed to me.

I'm one of the few people alive who actually enjoyed the 1984 David Lynch adaptation. That one for obvious reasons didn't age well, but it still felt more fun than this one. I'll give Jason Momoa credit for making Duncan Idaho a way more enjoyable character than he was portrayed as in the original film or even the book.

I also sure hope they stop after the first book. Shit gets waaaaay too weird after that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:49 pm 

Had a boring night home alone with the kid so I opted for the Total Recall remake. Blah. I don't think the original was a masterpiece by any means but it was so utterly unhinged it was fun. This one was just an absolute bore (decent visuals, which includes Kate Beckinsale in the Sharon Stone role).

Not a horrid movie, but not good either. Don't bother. Two pucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:11 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
Well, finally saw Dune, and I'm still processing it...not sure what to think. Denis Villeneuve sure knows how to make a great visual--in that regard he's probably the best in the business. But...I dunno. I look forward to the 2nd part of this and maybe we'll see it all come together. This whole film just felt half-formed to me.

That's how I saw it - 156 minutes that I won't get back. I would have no problem sitting and watching for three hours but finish the complete story... It felt like an hour-long story that was dragged out for 156 minutes...

Pokecheque wrote:
I'm one of the few people alive who actually enjoyed the 1984 David Lynch adaptation.

That was awful and disappointing. You must be one of the very few.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:29 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
That's how I saw it - 156 minutes that I won't get back. I would have no problem sitting and watching for three hours but finish the complete story... It felt like an hour-long story that was dragged out for 156 minutes...

That was awful and disappointing. You must be one of the very few.

For how long the movie was (and only one of two parts) I was shocked at how little characterization there was. David Dastmalchian plays Piter de Vries and you could barely tell he was different from the foot soldiers by how little he had to do/say. The wildly underrated Brad Dourif had a lot more fun with the role, including this silly but crazy monologue.

Also, the Harkonnens overall are WAY more fun, way more bombastic in the Lynch version, not a bunch of slug-like people floating around with sludge covering their bodies. I really like Stellan Skarsgaard but he just sorta floats around and mumbles stuff. Doesn't do much else. I thought the score by Toto was really good.

I also DID NOT like the slight alteration of the story as to the motives behind the big betrayal by *SPOILER*.

About the only gigantic improvement apart from the 1984 movie IMO was, as mentioned, Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho, and obviously the SFX and designs. At least now the Ornithopter really is an Ornithopter this time and not some weird looking jet with stubby wings.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:59 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I remember my brother being all psyched to watch Dune when we were kids. The one with Sting. I walked out of the room after like 20 minutes and he turned it off. I don't think we ever turned off or walked out on any other movie. I don't even remember why. I just couldn't get into it. When I saw there was a new one coming out I yawned, farted and went back to whatever I was doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:44 pm 

Doctor Strange 2 was…okay. Like the first one, I didn’t love it, but I also thought Sam Raimi was a lot more ambitious than the previous director. And you KNEW it was a Sam Raimi joint when a zombie Doctor Strange showed up (with a levitating cloak weaved from evil spirits, THAT was a fantastic visual) and a cameo from his Ash himself, Bruce Campbell.

The cameos from various other Marvel properties were pretty nice to see, though I was a tad disappointed that no one from the Loki TV series showed up. That would’ve tied everything together quite nicely.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:06 pm 

Bullet Train, if you're a fan of campy, over the top ridiculous Asian gangster violence, and snarky dialogue, this movie is for you. I loved it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:48 pm 
King of Men

Fogghorn wrote:
Bullet Train, if you're a fan of campy, over the top ridiculous Asian gangster violence, and snarky dialogue, this movie is for you. I loved it.

I went into this movie with no expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:29 pm 

Glass Onion was...fine. Not great. Just fine. Lots of twists and turns for sure, maybe a few too many, but the fact that Ben Shapiro whined like a little baby about being "deceived" by a *checks notes* murder mystery, it makes me appreciate those twists a little more.

I like the fact that Daniel Craig appears to be having even more fun playing Benoit Blanc than he ever did as James Bond.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:32 am 

Glass Onion had its moments for sure. However the reviews I had read in advance indicated it was better than Knives Out so I had really high expectations going in, and was disappointed as a result. I have to admit Janelle Monae's acting surprised the hell out of me. She's really talented.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:54 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Glass Onion had its moments for sure. However the reviews I had read in advance indicated it was better than Knives Out so I had really high expectations going in, and was disappointed as a result. I have to admit Janelle Monae's acting surprised the hell out of me. She's really talented.

Yeah, she was good in Hidden Figures as well, though that was a much smaller role.

The film was definitely enjoyable but nowhere near as good as the first one.

I did like the fact that Edward Norton was a very thinly-veiled take on Elon Musk who fancied himself a forward-thinking genius but was in fact a complete fucking moron.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:10 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Yeah, she was good in Hidden Figures as well, though that was a much smaller role.

The film was definitely enjoyable but nowhere near as good as the first one.

I did like the fact that Edward Norton was a very thinly-veiled take on Elon Musk who fancied himself a forward-thinking genius but was in fact a complete fucking moron.

From the reviews I read, it seemed that most of the critics were pretty smitten by the billionaire as an idiot theme and how we as a society tend to over value supposed "genius" and under value luck. It was an enjoyable film. I likde all the characters, but after it was over, with the benefit of hindsight there were too many holes in the plot for it to make sense. Well written mystery's should be able to withstand the scrutiny of hind sight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:12 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Glass Onion was good, but yeah, not as good as the first Knives Out. That one seemed literally darker, but I guess it was filmed in an old house, where this was filmed on a tropical island in a glass house, so that makes sense. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:14 am 

You know what you’re going in to see. A colorful three-dimensional assault on your senses that features a pretty predictable storyline. Personally I remain a child at heart and that child used to love GI Joe and Transformers and anime, and all that informs the design of the outlandish new vehicles the evil, greedy humans ride into battle with. This time around in addition to the big walking mecha-inspired tanks we got crab submarines and a giant-ass hovercraft that serves as a whaling ship. As you might expect the Moby Dick references come in hot and heavy on this one.

But also I think James Cameron put the setting in the ocean this time to use his experience as an avid Scuba diver to good use. Lots of amazing sea creatures to see here as well.

Oh and it’s like three hours and there’s a SHIT TON of water everywhere so look up that one website that tells you when it's safe to run to the facilities during the show before you go.

Three pucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:50 am 

Wait, I did have one major complaint about the film. So, I dunno if y'all are familiar with the "soap opera effect" with these newfangled TVs but they have a default feature in them that makes really crisp imagery, to the point where objects in motion don't blur at all. It makes for an incredibly clear picture but it also feels really jarring to some people. I absolutely HATE this feature and I turn it off with any new TV I have as soon as I can. I don't know if Cameron really ups the frame rate to some insane degree but this is the first time I've ever experienced this particular thing at a movie theatre and it drove me nuts.

I will say is you go see it, see it in 3-D. That part was awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:48 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
I will say is you go see it, see it in 3-D. That part was awesome.

3D is not good on Anam so we did not see it in 3D :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:59 am 
King of Men

RRR.....Over the top CGI and fight cinematics, bromance, dancing, explosions galore, the British evil empire........can't say I've ever seen anything like it.

A refreshing departure from Hollywood tropes. And the best foreign studio film I've seen since Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds and Parasite.

There was a whole lot of badass going on in this one clocking in at a 3 hr plus run time. But I was never bored.....even during some of the singing (musicals are not my thing).

Its currently on Netflix.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:37 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
RRR.....Over the top CGI and fight cinematics, bromance, dancing, explosions galore, the British evil empire........can't say I've ever seen anything like it.

A refreshing departure from Hollywood tropes. And the best foreign studio film I've seen since Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds and Parasite.

There was a whole lot of badass going on in this one clocking in at a 3 hr plus run time. But I was never bored.....even during some of the singing (musicals are not my thing).

Its currently on Netflix.

I tried and quit after 5 minutes. Maybe I should have given it more leash but didn't appeal despite the rave reviews.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:42 am 
King of Men

Right...this isn't my first Bollywood action flick either so.....I kind of went into it a bit prepared for zaniness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next