OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:03 am 
King of Men

Went and saw Anchorman 2 yesterday.....I really liked the first one. This one was a just a rehash of all the old cliches and jokes. Most often with Ferrell trying a bit too hard. This one is a Redbox rental.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:46 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

harmfuljays wrote:
Went and saw Anchorman 2 yesterday.....I really liked the first one. This one was a just a rehash of all the old cliches and jokes. Most often with Ferrell trying a bit too hard. This one is a Redbox rental.

ImageImage

The overexposure of Ron Burgundy leading up to the release was a clue that the movie wouldn't be able to sell itself in the long run and they need as many asses in the seats on opening weekend to pay the bills for the high profile comedic talent in the movie.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:22 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Watched Lone Ranger tonight and maybe I am just nuts but have no idea why it was so badly panned in the press as I thought it was pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Jeff Who Lives at Home: One of those films that kinda went unnoticed. Kind of aimless, much like the main character, at first. And then, something happens, and you're surprised to see the movie had a great point all along. Worth watching, especially because it actually comes in around 1:30 unlike a lot of Hollywood fair these days. Plus, Judy Greer is always awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:24 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Jeff Who Lives at Home: One of those films that kinda went unnoticed. Kind of aimless, much like the main character, at first. And then, something happens, and you're surprised to see the movie had a great point all along. Worth watching, especially because it actually comes in around 1:30 unlike a lot of Hollywood fair these days. Plus, Judy Greer is always awesome.

Have had a crush on Judy Greer for so long it's ridiculous, will see it if only for her.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:07 pm 

Simpson's doing a tribute to cartoon master Hayao Miyazaki.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/01/09/simpsons_miyazaki_tribute_anime_episode_says_goodbye_to_hayao_miyazaki_watch.html

Does anyone else even know who he is? Chris with daughters at that age you certainly should know him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:22 am 
Big in Japan

Her

ImageImageImage 1/2

Brilliant first 2/3rds. Minimal, simple, elegant. Last 1/3 tries too hard to bring some new ideas to the table, and there were a few things that were wrapped up clumsily, enough to irk me somewhat. Still quite good. Great acting, great setup of this not-too distant future.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:07 pm 

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=50606

Whoa, did not know GSP was in the new Captain America as Batroc Ze Leapair. One of the lamest/coolest villains in Cap's rogues gallery. Might actually be a fun film. I still haven't gone to see Thor 2 yet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:59 am 

The Way, Way Back. Solid film. Nat Faxon is a good actor, even better screenwriter. Probably Sam Rockwell's finest performance. Steve Carell's also good as the resident villain/dickhead.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:31 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Av-merican wrote:
The Way, Way Back. Solid film. Nat Faxon is a good actor, even better screenwriter. Probably Sam Rockwell's finest performance. Steve Carell's also good as the resident villain/dickhead.
Yeah I enjoyed this flick - Sam Rockwell is hugely inderrated IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:00 am 

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Enjoyable movie, plenty of action--but they left a LOT of stuff hanging in the air. The movie also has a major plot twist I didn't find completely satisfying.

The post-credits scene makes a pretty obvious tie-in with the next Avengers film.

Three pucks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:39 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Enjoyable movie, plenty of action--but they left a LOT of stuff hanging in the air. The movie also has a major plot twist I didn't find completely satisfying.

The post-credits scene makes a pretty obvious tie-in with the next Avengers film.

Three pucks.

It was good fun, what summer movies should be. Was most surprised at how much I enjoyed Scarlett Johansson, would like to see her in her own movie now. Enjoyed the Agents of Shield TV show tonight with the same issue keeping the Marvel Universe consistent.

And oh yeah the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:34 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Odd question: Anybody know if you can stream the edited for TV version of Slap Shot? I can't find it, but I'm not up on streaming stuff too much. Just Netflix, which has the R version. I don't need my 11 year old hearing what Reg thinks will happen to her son if Mrs McCambridge doesn't get married again...

Thoughts? Links?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:41 pm 

Richard Linklater is one of those directors whom I admire even though I have yet to see a majority of his work. I haven't see any of the Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight films, nor have I seen Dazed and Confused. I know, I know.

This looks like his most ambitious film yet.

http://www.liveforfilms.com/2014/04/25/ ... s-boyhood/

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:52 pm 

Saw two movies on the newly-installed DirecTV at the new house: We're the Millers and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. The former was a pretty standard goofball comedy. Good for a few chuckles but otherwise pretty tame. The most amusing thing I found about it is that the story revolves around a pot dealer in Denver, which seems kinda quaint now that my beloved home state is now a marijuana haven. Two pucks.

The latter I found quite entertaining. Ben Stiller is a pretty talented director, and keeps his usual on-screen goofball persona in check this time. Yeah, it ends pretty much how you think it ends, but it was still fun to watch. Three pucks.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:33 pm 

Elysium

Great visuals, decent story, so-so performances. Worth watching, if for no other reason it is that rare bird once thought extinct--the rated-R sci-fi film.

Three pucks.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:30 pm 

This is probably old news to some of you, but I was amazed by this. Back in 1980, Michael Uslan, who eventually produced the 1989 Batman film, once had a newspaper image of Jack Nicholson from "The Shining" and just happened to draw the Joker's face over it...the rest is history.

http://www.retronaut.com/2014/05/how-ja ... the-joker/

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:31 am 
King of the One-Liner

Have my tickets for Godzilla Friday night all ready, needless to say I am jacked a bit.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:22 pm 
King of Men

Finally saw Gravity....

I flirted with giving it 1 puck. However since Hollywood rode its jock so damn hard I would have to give it a Bettman:

I would not watch this idiotic film again even if you paid me. Terrible acting in a sedated clooney and a hyperventilating Bullock with 9 lives. Loose uncredible plot. ok CGI I guess....I've seen better on my PS3. Maybe it might be good if you saw it on IMAX and like cheesy suspense but that doesn't make up for the trumpet blasts.

What a let down.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:35 am 
King of the One-Liner

I as well did not really get Gravity. I mean it was tolerable due to it being a very short movie, but as seems to often be the case a big Oscar performers just kinda makes me bored. Always figure it was my lack of refinement.

Went to Godzilla on the weekend. Starts well with interesting back story and some scientist/engineer type characters I'm digging . Then sadly the need to make the human element all about a stereotypical all American chiseled jaw army guy with his beautiful family really thumps the momentum out the middle of this movie for me. Then the final third everything ramps up and once you take a few minutes to wake up again finishes in a glorious finish of sound and imagery. In summary good build up in the first third, brutal disinterest through the middle third, and all kinds of awesome in the final third.

Going to give it a sad 3 out of 5. Sad because they had the pieces in place to make a great movie and blew it bad.

Keeping the Godzilla Avatar for now as he shared none of the blame for my disappointment, he was awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 32  Next