OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:28 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Avengers: Endgame was a thoroughly enjoyable, though obviously pretty long, romp. A fitting send-off for a number of heroes (I don't think it's a spoiler to say that) and it delivers on a couple of really big moments uber-nerds like me have been waiting the last decade to see come to life. Still a remarkable cinematic feat to coordinate over 20 films and an insane cast of characters build over the course of these years to culminate in one gigantic crescendo. A few misfires, yes, but you look at the DC guys trying to pull off the same thing and falling flat on their faces right away.

Five pucks, because fuck you otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:25 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Avengers: Endgame was a thoroughly enjoyable, though obviously pretty long, romp. A fitting send-off for a number of heroes (I don't think it's a spoiler to say that) and it delivers on a couple of really big moments uber-nerds like me have been waiting the last decade to see come to life. Still a remarkable cinematic feat to coordinate over 20 films and an insane cast of characters build over the course of these years to culminate in one gigantic crescendo. A few misfires, yes, but you look at the DC guys trying to pull off the same thing and falling flat on their faces right away.

Five pucks, because fuck you otherwise.

It was good (not as good as Infinity War). A significant amount of blatant PC pandering...not sure when it became the norm for Super Hero movies to throw their hat in the PC ring. Perhaps its ushering in a new era of hero that's appealing to a shifting audience or to prop up a flagging industry. Or just maybe turning the page on Stan Lee. While I'd love to believe in the altruistic message behind the pandering, I'd suspect its just an attempt to cover all the money demographics.

Regardless of the motives behind some of the eye rolling moments it was a solid affair and a fitting end.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:12 pm 
King of the One-Liner

It was pretty good but not worthy of the level of praise it gets, but I have said for a while the movie reviewing public is afraid of Disney. Time travel always ends up with holes I have problems with and as well the captain Marvel stuff clearly was tacked on after the fact a bit and at times odd for that reason. But it fit a lot of characters in better than I thought it would have.

I'd still take the directors cut of Batman vs Superman over this but DC had/has a big studio interference issue with some of their stuff on the whole compared to Marvel.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:16 pm 

Well, the comics industry can and should be shifting its marketing to women. The socially awkward teenage boys like myself that made up their market 1-2 generations ago have grown into middle age, and boys today simply aren't interested in them now that there are so many other forms of entertainment available. So doing an All-Girls squad for one brief scene and having Captain Marvel kicking ass doesn't bother me. I'm not saying it was perfectly done, but those characters were indeed pretty awesome. I don't want to comment any further so as to reveal spoilers.

I'm reading that the Vision will be returning along with the Scarlet Witch for a TV series on Disney's new streaming service, and so will Bucky and the Falcon. Hope they're good. Marvel's forays into TV have been kind of a mixed bag.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:56 pm 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
A significant amount of blatant PC pandering...not sure when it became the norm for Super Hero movies to throw their hat in the PC ring. Perhaps its ushering in a new era of hero that's appealing to a shifting audience or to prop up a flagging industry. Or just maybe turning the page on Stan Lee. While I'd love to believe in the altruistic message behind the pandering, I'd suspect its just an attempt to cover all the money demographics.

Haven't seen it so not entirely sure what you mean by the PC pandering, but People have pointed out for a while that comic books have doing social justice stuff since the 70's and the anti-SJW crowd only seem to notice now.

Hounsy wrote:
I'd still take the directors cut of Batman vs Superman over this but DC had/has a big studio interference issue with some of their stuff on the whole compared to Marvel.

Whoah wait...I thought I heard that movie was awful.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:02 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
Whoah wait...I thought I heard that movie was awful.

It was funny back then I watched the original theatrical release and said to my wife it was okay but it is sad because the makings of a great movie was in there. Then I saw the extended cut later on video and thought it was fantastic and I watched it shortly after re-watching Man of Steel which I also liked for the most part. But no doubt my opinion of that movie is a minority.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:33 pm 

Man of Steel was an effects-laden pile of shit IMHO. Any film that makes it out like the world would have been way better off without Superman misses the point so entirely I can't even say. Zack Snyder is hands-down the best guy in the business at choreographing and filming kinetic fight scenes. But the guy tries way to hard to craft "iconic" moments in his films, and as a result few of them ever truly feel earned. It just always feels like he takes a blunderbuss approach to storytelling, there just isn't any nuance or subtlety at all. And yes, even in a loud, bombastic superhero film, there's a need for those things. I haven't seen a ton of the DC offerings, though I thought Wonder Woman was well-done.

I guess if I had one thing that really irked me about the final (for now) Avengers film, it's that they went a little too far in making Thor look buffoonish. I get that Chris Hemsworth has superb comedic timing and instincts, but you don't have to make him the Asgardian version of Star-Lord (I'm still not thrilled with that take on the character either, and I'm quite fond of Chris Pratt from his Parks & Rec days).

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:41 pm 
King of Men

Thor is a God...unless they were attempting to draw that correlation between man and god...he can drink copious amounts of beer and be the god of thunder anytime he wants without the buffoonery displayed (although I certainly found many similarities between Thor's new body type and mine). So I agree I thought their handling of Thor throughout was a bit too loose.

Trumpeting social injustice has been a staple of comics as far back as I can remember (I am a comic book geek). IMO a lot different than the blatant pandering that appeared in this film. I can't go into details without spoilers.

But hell I also remember enjoying Man Of Steel in the minority.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:05 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
I haven't seen a ton of the DC offerings, though I thought Wonder Woman was well-done.

Wonder Woman's ending was fucking brutal.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:11 pm 
King of the One-Liner

You know it is weird I always thought my love of the Snyder DC movies with Wonder Woman(even with weak ending) was the nuance and emotion that I was not getting from Marvel films which where to me the bombastic super hero action/comedy movies. Though Winter Soldier and much of End Game as the exception.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:47 pm 
Big in Japan

Watched What We Left Behind, the crowdfunded Star Trek Deep Space Nine documentary from showrunner Ira Steven Behr. It's total fan service and feels a bit light even for a two-hour doc, but for fans desperate for any kind of content, it'll do.

The original writers conceptualize what a reboot would look like, and what they come up with is actually pretty cool. The interviews are what you'd expect, with a few of them even coming across as ones that predate the doc.

Most importantly, the cast still seems to get along and they recognize how good the show was, even if it went down as the black sheep of Trek.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:37 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Watched What We Left Behind, the crowdfunded Star Trek Deep Space Nine documentary from showrunner Ira Steven Behr. It's total fan service and feels a bit light even for a two-hour doc, but for fans desperate for any kind of content, it'll do.

The original writers conceptualize what a reboot would look like, and what they come up with is actually pretty cool. The interviews are what you'd expect, with a few of them even coming across as ones that predate the doc.

Most importantly, the cast still seems to get along and they recognize how good the show was, even if it went down as the black sheep of Trek.

Looking forward to seeing this one, as it's really the one and only Star Trek series thus far to truly venture into new ground. Even Discovery is backtracking already from some of their more lofty ambitions from season 1 (though I have absolutely NO idea what in hell season 3 will consist of given where they left things off).

I don't mean to shit all over TNG (but I do mean to shit on Voyager and Enterprise because both shows sucked horribly) but it really settled into a breezy procedural sort of narrative. You look at where the characters started in all the other series and where they ended and not a whole lot changed. The characters in DS9 were COMPLETELY different than when the show first began.

Really have no idea what the hell to expect from the new Picard series. They still haven't even named it yet.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:29 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Looking forward to seeing this one, as it's really the one and only Star Trek series thus far to truly venture into new ground. Even Discovery is backtracking already from some of their more lofty ambitions from season 1 (though I have absolutely NO idea what in hell season 3 will consist of given where they left things off).

I don't mean to shit all over TNG (but I do mean to shit on Voyager and Enterprise because both shows sucked horribly) but it really settled into a breezy procedural sort of narrative. You look at where the characters started in all the other series and where they ended and not a whole lot changed. The characters in DS9 were COMPLETELY different than when the show first began.

Really have no idea what the hell to expect from the new Picard series. They still haven't even named it yet.

The doc gets into the character development thing a bit. Because the shows were syndicated at the time, Paramount said it was incredibly important the characters don't develop because every episode needed to be self-contained and relatable.

Then DS9 did a three-parter against everyone's wishes and couldn't look back. DS9 pioneered the serial, but at the time people hated that the characters were flawed and changed.

Nog went from kid to ensign to war hero in seven years. It was unprecedented.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:41 pm 
King of the One-Liner

If you are remotely into giant monsters in movies go see Godzilla on the big screen and don't worry about critics reviews. Yeah the people parts are weak and silly but screw that huge monsters are battling it out all movie and it looks awesome. It may not hold up on a small screen though so if you watch it later on video and think it sucks don't say I didn't warn you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:06 pm 

Mission Impossible 6

Gah, can't believe there's been six of these.

Anyway, I shouldn't complain, because I loved this movie. I really like the fact that this has essentially devolved into little more than a series of crazy-ass action sequences and Tom Cruise, only three years away from FUCKING SIXTY, is game for doing all sorts of crazy-ass stunts. It's a two-hour-plus film, but it really didn't feel that way, and there's just enough plot/intrigue/performances to make it worthwhile when Cruise isn't crashing and banging into various objects and people.

I'm givin' this one five pucks, my personal favorite among all of these films and I'm probably the only one alive who really liked MI-2 (John Woo is a master action film director).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:12 pm 

Can't remember if I mentioned this one but...Yesterday didn't quite click for me as much as I'd hoped. Maybe the Beatles don't quite click for me as they do for my parents' generation--my aunt loved the movie--but it didn't quite come together. Still, some great performances, obviously very good music, a solid cast, Danny Boyle directing, some good laughs, and a very poignant cameo make this one worthwhile, but you may come away not exactly loving the movie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:23 am 
King of Men

http://collider.com/upcoming-marvel-movies/#blade

Pass......I don't understand the need to have Natalie Portman run around with a hammer or be Thor. Who in the world is this targeting?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:05 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:

Pass......I don't understand the need to have Natalie Portman run around with a hammer or be Thor. Who in the world is this targeting?

lol, I had a similar wtf moment when I saw it. On the other hand I could watch Natalie Portman in pretty much anything and be pretty content so there is that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:16 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:

Well, to be fair, it's based off a recent (and pretty well-received) plotline in the comics, so I think it could work. And hey, as Kyle says it's Natalie Portman. Honestly, I thought the Thor franchise was the weakest of the various "properties," and The Dark World was and still is by far my least favorite of the MCU films. Ragnarok was good but I didn't come out absolutely loving it. I'm curious though as to how they go about bringing Mjolnir back.

The one I'm kinda wary of is The Eternals. That one could suck hard, because IMO the source material ain't that great. Jack Kirby created them when he returned to Marvel from his brief dalliance with DC (where he created very similar characters in the New Gods) and they've just never clicked for me. They even brought in Neil frickin' Gaiman and John Romita, Jr. to kinda revitalize them and it still just did nothing for me. If they try and tie them in with Thanos, like the comics, it'll make a little more sense. Otherwise it's just gonna be some good-looking people in outlandish costumes spouting Shakespearean-inspired dreck amidst some fancy CGI effects. The cast is certainly intriguing though.

But the one I'm super-duper excited about is BLADE starring MOTHERFUCKIN' MAHERSHALA ALI!!!!! If that doesn't kick heretofore serious ass I'm going to be enraged. I loved the first two Blade films with Wesley Snipes, and hated the third one. And I couldn't even get through the first 20 minutes of the TV series.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:34 pm 

Watched a couple Netflix ditties this weekend.

Triple Frontier
Maaaaaan if someone like Oliver Stone, William Friedkin, or Francis Ford Coppola had gotten a hold of this script (or at least the concept) I think it would've been a masterpiece. Instead the story of five former Special Forces commandos who got some bills to pay and decide to raid a prominent South American drug lord for a massive wad of cash just kinda peters out, it's too afraid to treat its subject matter with anything other than kid gloves. In the end all these guys try to be honorable even though they all agree to do something that betrays everything they stood for previously. Meh...such a stellar cast too. Big disappointment. This should've been a much, much, much darker film. Two pucks.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Six unrelated vignettes of the Old West, told in indelible fashion by the Brothers Coen. None of the subsequent tales quite live up to the fun absurdity of the first tale featuring the title character, but it's still worth watching, because even when the Coen brothers at their very worst are better than 90% of Hollywood.
Three pucks. Maybe four...still trying to decide.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next