OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:20 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

A Man Called Otto

Wife and I had my mom-in-law in town for one more day so we took advantage and went to see a movie. Wasn't a ton out there so we took in this one, not bad. Wife cried through half of it.

Didn't realize the actor playing the younger version of Tom Hanks' character is Truman Hanks, his own son. Wasn't aware he had kids outside of Colin and Chet. He does well in a limited role.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:35 pm 

Watchmen, the HBO tv series. After seeing the movie 13 years ago I was ho hum about watching the TV version thinking it was a remake of the comic. It takes place in the Watchmen world but 35 years later. I'm buzzing at the moment about how good it is, perhaps in a week or so I won't consider it quite as remarkable as I do now but presently would put it in the top 10 shows I've ever seen.

The acting, directing, and writing just all come together to form something truly compelling and violent and still beautiful.

Just hoping writer and executive producer Damon Lindelof decides he'd like to do a follow up at some point in the future. In the meantime I need to track down another show of his called The Leftovers. Anyone else seen it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:59 pm 

Few movies I'm curious about more than Tár. Based on what I've read it's either one of the most brilliant cinematic stories ever filmed or it's a ridiculously pretentious piece of shit. I find it funny that it was one of those films that seems tailor-made to win all the awards and it was completely shut out in favor of an interdimensional dramedy featuring googly eyes and martial arts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:26 pm 

Okay, this film has been plagued by all the upheaval at Warner Dudebros and Ezra Miller acting like a complete psychopath but I'm actually kinda excited about this film now.

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/16 ... 1018619904

Michael Keaton says the line!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:35 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Way9Dex ... s.Pictures

Dune Part Deux trailer finally drops. Honestly I was not a huge fan of Part Un. But there's some stuff here that looks promising, including a scene from the book that did not make it into the original David Lynch adaptation--the arena fight between Feyd-Rautha (played by Elvis here) and an Atreides soldier turned slave/gladiator. Also looks like they beefed up the role for Princess Irulan, as well they should since they put Florence Pugh in the role.

No sign of Christopher Walken as the Emperor of the Known Universe.

Wonder if they try adapting the weird-ass sequels and actually depict Paul's son Leto transform himself into a crazy-ass sandworm/human hybrid.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:29 pm 

Uhhhhhh...really? Young Guns 3? How the hell you gonna pull that off? Not only did key characters appear to die (though Lou Diamond Phillips is clearly saying they didn't) the Wild West really didn't last that long. I get we probably ain't goin' for historical accuracy but if these characters were to have aged as much as the actors themselves we're talking about the movie taking place after the turn of the century.

https://ew.com/movies/young-guns-3-not- ... -phillips/

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:04 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Uhhhhhh...really? Young Guns 3? How the hell you gonna pull that off? Not only did key characters appear to die (though Lou Diamond Phillips is clearly saying they didn't) the Wild West really didn't last that long. I get we probably ain't goin' for historical accuracy but if these characters were to have aged as much as the actors themselves we're talking about the movie taking place after the turn of the century.

https://ew.com/movies/young-guns-3-not- ... -phillips/

"I'm not dead yet" - severe crossover comment

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:18 pm 

I remember when both Mira Sorvino and Julia Ormond were a couple of the "It Girls" of the 90s (Sorvino even won an Academy Award) and then they just kinda disappeared.

Well...now we know why. Harvey Weinstein essentially tanked their careers when they wouldn't fuck him.

https://ew.com/movies/julia-ormond-sues ... l-assault/

Don't blame her one bit for suing. When someone like that gets away with it for that long, he's got a ton of people in the industry enabling him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:18 am 

This is Spinal Tap 2 is really happening. The original band is getting back together, and there are guest appearances by the likes of Elton John, Paul McCartney and Garth Brooks.
I'm not sure how to feel about this. Most sequels are awful. The original was so great, how could you follow it up, especially 40 years later?
Really hoping they don't fuck this up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:25 am 

Chris18 wrote:
This is Spinal Tap 2 is really happening. The original band is getting back together, and there are guest appearances by the likes of Elton John, Paul McCartney and Garth Brooks.
I'm not sure how to feel about this. Most sequels are awful. The original was so great, how could you follow it up, especially 40 years later?

Is Rob Reiner directing?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:20 am 

Fogghorn wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Is Rob Reiner directing?

Yes, which gives me hope that it will maintain consistency to the first movie, and everyone will want to be part of a project worthy of a sequel. It's got to be a record for time lapsed between original and sequel.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:33 am 

Christopher Guest has stayed very consistent with his mockumentaries that started with the first Spinal Tap, Best In Show and A Mighty Wind are absolute riots. I still have yet to see Waiting for Guffman.

I dunno though, that Stonehenge scene was an all-time classic. Not sure you can match that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:13 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Christopher Guest has stayed very consistent with his mockumentaries that started with the first Spinal Tap, Best In Show and A Mighty Wind are absolute riots. I still have yet to see Waiting for Guffman.

I dunno though, that Stonehenge scene was an all-time classic. Not sure you can match that.

Yeah his mockunetaries are great. There was one about beauty pageants too- Drop Dead Gorgeous. That one's great.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:41 pm 

Jonathan Majors officially dropped by Marvel after he's found guilty on two separate assault trials.

Kinda surprised they didn't move quicker, I'm guessing they wanted to wait until there was almost no chance of a successful lawsuit if he chose to bring one.

The good news for Marvel/Disney is that Kang isn't really just one guy so he can easily be recast.

I really have to finish Loki, I'm told this latest season basically gave them a perfect "escape clause" from Majors.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:17 am 

No Hard Feelings with Jennifer Lawrence is not exactly believable, but some parts are hysterical. I can't believe she did a few parts in this one. The beach scene... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:57 pm 

https://ew.com/fantastic-four-cast-pedr ... ds-8567528

Wow, Marvel announces the official cast of the new Fantastic Four movie and it's pretty impressive.

Pedro Pascal as Mr. Fantastic, Vanessa Kirby as the Invisible Woman, Joseph Quinn (Stranger Things) as the Human Torch, and Ebon Moss-Bachrach (The Bear) as The Thing.

No announcement on the villain, I actually hope it isn't Doctor Doom. The previous iterations of the franchise messed up by shoehorning him in there. Save him for later, there's plenty of goofy villains to try out first.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:26 pm 

FINALLY finished Everything Everywhere All at Once. Had to take a break because the wife completely lost interest.

I'll admit I was struggling with it a bit when the premise first gets laid out. Things just get weirder and weirder until there's a fight scene where two of the combatants, in order to access their "superpowers" literally ram large objects up their asses. This shit seemed too absurd for even me to fathom, and it made me wonder how the hell a film like this got all the Oscars.

But not long after that ridiculous scene, everything just kinda...clicked into place, and it became very centered and poignant. Yes, there was still some true inanity featuring a raccoon chef and a bagel that was threatening to destroy the entire multiverse, but it all suddenly made sense. That's quite a cinematic feat IMO.

Kudos to Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan, who 10000% deserved their Academy Awards for this film. I'm biased of course, but those were extremely difficult parts to pull off. And hey, this might not have been Jamie Lee Curtis's finest performance (it's up there though) but she and Michelle Yeoh spend a portion of the movie as a lesbian couple with hot dog fingers, so I have no issue with her getting a golden statuette to put on her mantle at home.

This one is definitely a Five Butch/Five Puck/whatever masterpiece. Again, I'm heavily biased but it started out as a movie I wasn't even sure I was going to like, and then in the end I ended up loving.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:58 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
FINALLY finished Everything Everywhere All at Once. Had to take a break because the wife completely lost interest.

I'll admit I was struggling with it a bit when the premise first gets laid out. Things just get weirder and weirder until there's a fight scene where two of the combatants, in order to access their "superpowers" literally ram large objects up their asses. This shit seemed too absurd for even me to fathom, and it made me wonder how the hell a film like this got all the Oscars.

But not long after that ridiculous scene, everything just kinda...clicked into place, and it became very centered and poignant. Yes, there was still some true inanity featuring a raccoon chef and a bagel that was threatening to destroy the entire multiverse, but it all suddenly made sense. That's quite a cinematic feat IMO.

Kudos to Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan, who 10000% deserved their Academy Awards for this film. I'm biased of course, but those were extremely difficult parts to pull off. And hey, this might not have been Jamie Lee Curtis's finest performance (it's up there though) but she and Michelle Yeoh spend a portion of the movie as a lesbian couple with hot dog fingers, so I have no issue with her getting a golden statuette to put on her mantle at home.

This one is definitely a Five Butch/Five Puck/whatever masterpiece. Again, I'm heavily biased but it started out as a movie I wasn't even sure I was going to like, and then in the end I ended up loving.

I think that movie might have been the one that I said was this Michael Scott quote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:02 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:

But not long after that ridiculous scene, everything just kinda...clicked into place,

Same, I lost interest early on, went back a month later because the reviews were so awesome and found the movie was a real treasure.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32