OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:21 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Wow... Did you pay full pop for that? Haven't heard any good things about it.

We rented out the theatre for a work function. Frankly it was dirt cheap given how many people we had in it. Obviously we had to come in with masks and did the whole social distance thing, but it was still fun.

Honestly, I appreciated the wildly ambitious plot. It was unwieldy and led to some bad moments but I've sat through FAR worse movies (Man of Steel is still a giant pile of overwrought, directionless shit, and WW84 was still much better). Also, there's some weird over-analysis of the plot that I find annoying. I get the whole notion of an Israeli actress beating up on nondescript Arab soldiers is not great optics, but fucking hell people I don't think it was meant as some overt political statement. If nothing else the unnecessary Cairo sidebar was just an elaborate excuse for Wonder Woman to break out the Invisible Jet. Also, people don't like the fact that WW has sex with Steve Trevor while he's in another man's body. This isn't real life people, we don't need to make some weird rape culture reference here...Jesus H. Christ.

Also, I think the over-the-top vitriol is coming because it's a female-centric superhero movie directed and co-written by a woman.

All I'll say is that it is at worst, a mediocre film. Usually I mean that as a damning statement, but in this case I just thought the movie was...okay. I don't regret seeing it. Believe me, I'd say so if I thought that, because lately I've watched a lot of horseshit films that make me wish I had that 2 hour span back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:46 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I pretty much agree with all that. It was okay but sloppy, surprisingly I found the direction to be it's biggest failure. The problem with going for a corny 80's TV show feel which I think they did is unless you are going full blown comedy I believe you are just going to be left coming off as well corny.

Oh and definitely there was some extra vitriol thrown it's way due to woman lead and direction, but that is the norm. If it was good they would have stayed in their cave, but it wasn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:31 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Thanks to both of you. I'll keep an eye out for this on the already-paid-for streaming channels moving forward because I'm too cheap to pay for it on top of that. I have no problem with female superheroes; Captain Marvel was actually pretty good, IMO. And Gal Gadot is pretty easy on the eyes, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:02 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Thanks to both of you. I'll keep an eye out for this on the already-paid-for streaming channels moving forward because I'm too cheap to pay for it on top of that. I have no problem with female superheroes; Captain Marvel was actually pretty good, IMO. And Gal Gadot is pretty easy on the eyes, too.

Yeah, don't forget Kristen Wiig and Pedro Pascal, who play good villains, largely because neither of them are particularly evil--just two wildly insecure people who are desperately trying to prove to the world they're not losers. If the movie had maybe followed that particular theme a little closer and not so much this "truth" thing, I think it would've been a lot more successful. The script lets all these fine actors down a bit, and I'll agree with Craig insofar that Jenkins has proven she can make a good fight scene--but the ones in this movie don't quite work like the ones in WW1 (pun intended).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:35 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
WW1 (pun intended).

Pun as in Wonder Woman 1 (first movie) and World War 1? If so it doesn't work because Wonder Woman 1 was set in World War 2.

I haven't seen WW84 yet, but I read all these potential spoilers. Still want to see it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:13 pm 
King of the One-Liner

WW1 was indeed during WW1, the trench scene is the most memorable scene.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:02 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
WW1 was indeed during WW1, the trench scene is the most memorable scene.

Alright, I'm wrong. I guess I just ASSumed she was fighting nazis like she did on the show.

And in that case, pun well played!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:59 am 

Black Widow- I thought it was going to be entirely her origin story. It includes some of that, but takes place between Avengers and End Game. That leads to some questions though- like why certain characters didn't help in End Game. Maybe those will be answered in other movies. The trailer at the end sets up what I guess will be Hawkeye's first solo movie (and may answer why at least one of the characters from BW won't be present for End Game).

Still, a good movie overall. A few good plot twists, the usual Marvel humor that may or may not have been scripted.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:33 am 
Big in Japan

If you like nonsensical stoner humour, Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar is pretty funny.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:25 pm 

Shang-Chi finishes like most Marvel movies, in a mad messy flurry of CGI, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Mostly because they cast legendary actor Tony Leung, and this is the first time I ever saw him act in an primarily English-speaking role. Dude doesn't miss a beat.

Also loved how they *mild spoiler* brought Ben Kingsley's character back for an important sequence. Had to look up the mythical creature who acts as his sidekick, apparently "Morris" is a Hundun, a headless, faceless, six-legged and winged creature from Chinese myth.

Way, way better than the somewhat disappointing Black Widow.

I'm guessing Eternals will not be all that great (wasn't a fan of the source material, sorry Jack Kirby, not everything you did was phenomenal) but whatever, I'm gonna watch it because that's what I do. And there is no way no how I'm missing the next Spider-Man film in theatres.

Speaking of BW, tne trope I wish would go the hell away in sci-fi overall are these floating cities or hideouts that are insanely easy to sabotage and crash. Like...come on, if it were that easy to cause a malfunction in this thing, it wasn't at all pragmatic to build in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:04 pm 

On a side note, I am the least-cultured person I know and I am just not a big fan of musical theatre, but even I was geeking out over Tick, Tick...Boom!. There's a climactic scene in the diner that features a who's-who of Broadway legends in one huge musical number. Unless you truly hate musicals, I highly recommend it.

Kind of a shame medical technology was where it was at in the 90s because looking at pictures and video footage of the real-life Jonathan Larson it's readily obvious he had Marfan Syndrome, which people have speculated is what killed him at such a young age. Had he been diagnosed, they would have paid more attention to the heart issue that ultimately took his life.

Anyway, everyone is fantastic in this film, especially Andrew Garfield, whom I'm looking forward to seeing reprise his Spider-Man role (they're keeping it hush-hush but ain't no way he's not in the next film). It's good--I'd even give it the Five-Butch treatment.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:28 pm 

Spider-Man: No Way Home was well worth the price of admission. It even redeemed the Amazing Spider-Man 2, which a lot of people say was the worst of the entire series (personally I thought the third Tobey Maguire was unbearably bad, and ASM2 was not good but still enjoyable).

In any event, any comic book film that manages to move my wife, who watches them but is mostly ambivalent about them, has to be pretty damned good.

Anyway, it's a fun film that manages to bring together A LOT of moving parts without getting tripped up somehow. I would definitely buy this one on Blu-Ray.

Oh and you don't have to stay until after the end credits have rolled. The mid-credit scene drops a hint at a big-name future Spider-Man villain (and really, they're running out of them after this one) but the post-credits scene is just a preview of the new Doctor Strange film, which has already been posted online. I wish I had known this after struggling to get through them because of the giant soda I had downed earlier.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:03 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Spider-Man: No Way Home was well worth the price of admission. It even redeemed the Amazing Spider-Man 2, which a lot of people say was the worst of the entire series (personally I thought the third Tobey Maguire was unbearably bad, and ASM2 was not good but still enjoyable).

In any event, any comic book film that manages to move my wife, who watches them but is mostly ambivalent about them, has to be pretty damned good.

Anyway, it's a fun film that manages to bring together A LOT of moving parts without getting tripped up somehow. I would definitely buy this one on Blu-Ray.

Oh and you don't have to stay until after the end credits have rolled. The mid-credit scene drops a hint at a big-name future Spider-Man villain (and really, they're running out of them after this one) but the post-credits scene is just a preview of the new Doctor Strange film, which has already been posted online. I wish I had known this after struggling to get through them because of the giant soda I had downed earlier.

My younger daughter watches the full credit run of every movie thanks to Marvel movies. :chris18:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:41 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
My younger daughter watches the full credit run of every movie thanks to Marvel movies. :chris18:

It's really easy to look up online if a movie has a mid/post-credits scene. But that's still pretty funny. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:13 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

It's really easy to look up online if a movie has a mid/post-credits scene. But that's still pretty funny. :lol:

I'm sure it is. It's kind of funny to see her let down by most movies though.
And of course, I told her some movie wouldn't have one... and it did. Foiled by Hollywood! :doom:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:06 pm 
King of Men

Don't Look Up

https://www.netflix.com/title/81252357

A brilliant piece that really captures our current society.

While light on the outside, on the inside it exposes the truth of power no matter the face it wears and reminds us to never underestimate the will and ability of an institution to cling to power and perpetuate itself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:36 pm 

Shang Chi was frigging awesome. Somewhat predictable but still really good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:39 pm 

Don't Look Up was a great satire that would've been much funnier had it not been so depressing in its accuracy. Skewers everything from tech gurus to Krysten Sinema to anti-vaxxer propaganda to the horrid effect being famous online can completely warp a person's moral center. A-grade cast to boot. Mark Rylance can do no wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:32 am 

Finally saw Eternals. I had low expectations (I’ve never cared for the source material) but yet still came away disappointed.

Guess we will see how the sequel is. Surprisingly Angelina Jolie was heavily marketed for this film, her part is surprisingly small.

Wish they had let Taika Waititi direct this one. He knows how to bring the unique visual language of Jack Kirby onto the screen properly. The Celestials, arguably the most “Kirby” characters he ever created, didn’t look right. And they all looked the same, which was a very strange choice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 pm 

Don't Look Up was pretty damn good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next