OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oh and I didn't know if you saw this Harmy, but this is going to be the new 007:

From what I can tell, Daniel Craig will reprise his role as James Bond one last time (and quite possibly the last time by any actor for a good long while) to pass the torch. That sounds much better than just rebooting the whole franchise with a female version.

And even though Spectre ended poorly, I think most of Craig's Bond films have been really enjoyable. Glad they're ultimately deciding to do something new instead of just recasting the role.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:43 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
http://collider.com/upcoming-marvel-movies/#blade

Pass......I don't understand the need to have Natalie Portman run around with a hammer or be Thor. Who in the world is this targeting?

Well, to be fair, it's based off a recent (and pretty well-received) plotline in the comics, so I think it could work. And hey, as Kyle says it's Natalie Portman. Honestly, I thought the Thor franchise was the weakest of the various "properties," and The Dark World was and still is by far my least favorite of the MCU films. Ragnarok was good but I didn't come out absolutely loving it. I'm curious though as to how they go about bringing Mjolnir back.

The one I'm kinda wary of is The Eternals. That one could suck hard, because IMO the source material ain't that great. Jack Kirby created them when he returned to Marvel from his brief dalliance with DC (where he created very similar characters in the New Gods) and they've just never clicked for me. They even brought in Neil frickin' Gaiman and John Romita, Jr. to kinda revitalize them and it still just did nothing for me. If they try and tie them in with Thanos, like the comics, it'll make a little more sense. Otherwise it's just gonna be some good-looking people in outlandish costumes spouting Shakespearean-inspired dreck amidst some fancy CGI effects. The cast is certainly intriguing though.

But the one I'm super-duper excited about is BLADE starring MOTHERFUCKIN' MAHERSHALA ALI!!!!! If that doesn't kick heretofore serious ass I'm going to be enraged. I loved the first two Blade films with Wesley Snipes, and hated the third one. And I couldn't even get through the first 20 minutes of the TV series.

TO BE FAIR (shout out to Letterkenny)

Yes...I too could watch Natalie Portman in anything...I watched Black Swan for crying out loud....but its just too much pandering for me. There's no need for it. But Marvel studios is charging foward! Inclusion speed!

I thought they already time traveled that Mjolnir business...seems time travel fixes everything lately....

I remember the Eternals mini series back in the 80's (my height of comicbookdom) and it was fairly weak then. By the time they redid it back in 2006 I was too busy chasing kids to pay attention and my days had passed. You are on target...doesn't seem to be enough unless they are tying it in the Skrulls, Kree, Thanos, Universe concept....

Black Widow....I might watch that one but that's only because I like Scarlett.

The Doctor Strange one.....Pass. Doctor Strange is odd enough...drilling down on a minor character is reaching.

I liked a few of the Blade movies.....I didn't know who that MAHERSHALA ALI guy was so I had to look him up.

I am not particularly wowed by any of those announcements though. Marvel seems to be tearing off in a direction beyond my following.

007....I have never really been into outside of the Roger Moore/Connery era...if they want to jump in on the Gender fluid wagon so be it. I can only cringe and wait for it to go the other way:

Pretty Man

Dirty Dancing with roles reversed.

The notebook

Titanic.....Jill, Jill!

CinderJohn...escapes his cruel Wicked father who makes him do chores goes to the club and loses a slip on loafer.

Very excited! :jerkbag:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:38 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
I thought they already time traveled that Mjolnir business...seems time travel fixes everything lately....

Well, it appeared in the final scene in Endgame that Cap returned it whilst returning the Infinity Stones to their proper timelines. He did, however, return with a brand new, intact shield to give to Sam so who knows. Either way, it's nothing that can't be fixed inside of two seconds and some fancy SFX.

Apparently Hemsworth will be in the film as well. I still want Stormbreaker to land in the hands of its rightful owner though...Beta Ray Bill.

Oh, in all the craziness I totally forgot they announced a Fantastic Four movie. Hope to God they finally fucking do that one right. I haven't even bothered watching the last one given how poorly it was received.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:59 pm 

Damn what a trailer, can't quit smiling. Can't wait to see this.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/07/the-n ... -ride.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:27 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Damn what a trailer, can't quit smiling. Can't wait to see this.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/07/the-n ... -ride.html

Best intro to a trailer ever--list each one's status as an Academy Award nominee (and one winner) then have them proceed to gleefully mow down a bunch of zombies. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:39 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Damn what a trailer, can't quit smiling. Can't wait to see this.https://slate.com/culture/2019/07/the-n ... -ride.html
Best intro to a trailer ever--list each one's status as an Academy Award nominee (and one winner) then have them proceed to gleefully mow down a bunch of zombies. :lol:
Looks amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:03 am 

Holy fucking shit Batfleck vs. Superman was actually way worse than I had expected.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:59 am 
King of the One-Liner

Pokecheque wrote:
Holy fucking shit Batfleck vs. Superman was actually way worse than I had expected.

I actually liked the extended cut and was meh on the original release short version.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:00 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
I actually liked the extended cut and was meh on the original release short version.

If it somehow makes the completely incoherent story more plausible I may sit down to see it.

If it features more needless, almost pompous slo-mo shots no way am I going near that.

The film's biggest sin is that it tries WAAAAAAAY too hard to make iconic moments. You shouldn't have to manufacture them, they just happen organically within the context of the story.

And honestly, Cavill's Superman (and mind you it's not just on him, he's got a director and screenwriter telling him what to do) is the worst take on the character I've ever seen. He glowers, growls, and rages even more than frickin' Batman. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman was a much-needed injection of life and fun into the otherwise gloomy surroundings.

I will say I was surprised I liked Jesse Eisenberg's take on Lex Luthor. He made the most out of bad material.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:59 am 
King of the One-Liner

I do have a tendency to like Superhero stuff with gloom.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:52 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
I do have a tendency to like Superhero stuff with gloom.

Hey I frickin' LOVE gloom...but I want it done right. The stuff in Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman just bores me. I also get a little annoyed when it gets too goofy, like Guardians of the Galaxy.

Made it through most of Justice League and I like it a hell of a lot more than the previous two I mentioned but there's still a lot left to be desired. This just feels like a weak lineup...though I kinda like Ezra Miller's socially-awkward take on the Flash. In any event they kinda/sorta make Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman the feature character, and I think that's why this film just feels a lot move vibrant. I haven't seen Aquaman yet, though it looks like it's at least fun.

Cavill's Superman is just completely and utterly devoid of charm, and I don't necessarily think that's the actor's fault because he's a hell of a lot of fun in the latest Mission Impossible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:25 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Funny enough I rate the recent DC movies

Wonder Woman
Man of Steel
VS
Aquaman
Justice league

oh and somewhere down here Suicide squad....way down here.

But I accept that my love of Man of Steel and Batman VS Superman is a little odd.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:40 pm 

Wonder Woman was good IMO. Again, I think Gal Gadot really nailed the part, and was serious without being joyless. The film has fun without resorting to silly hijinks, which I'll admit get annoying after a while. Sure hope the sequel kicks at least as much ass if not more.

Admittedly Ciaran Hinds at least did something with the part of Steppenwolf. Still an absolutely HORRID choice for the Justice League's first Big Bad. They could've chosen from so many others that were far, far better. You don't have to just go with Fourth World characters if you're building toward a giant crossover film series against Darkseid.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:37 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Well Joker was awesome and I don't think that movie is allowed to happen if Justice league and Suicide squad didn't suck. So there we go silver lining.

Think it is funny that the movie did not crush with the critics, though reading them on rotten tomatoes a lot of the negative ones seem to indicate it made them too uncomfortable. The movie wants to make you uncomfortable so I guess that is actually a win.

See it is now the highest grossing R-rated movie ever, and for a none blockbuster production they are rolling in money with this one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:15 pm 

Saw Zombieland: Double Tap last night with the wife (she had a hankering for popcorn and that just happened to be the best available option at the theatre). Like the first one, it wasn't trying to be high-end cinema but I still don't think it was nearly as fun as the first one. Also, poor Abigail Breslin (and to a lesser extent, Emma Stone) got shuffled away into lesser roles. They coulda done a little better there.

BUT...Zoey Deutch playing a supremely ditzy valley girl was undoubtedly the highlight of the whole thing. You can tell the actress was having a blast playing the part, and she had easily the funniest scenes.

And stay around for a supremely bizarre post-credits scene featuring, yes, Bill Murray.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:16 am 

Continued the longstanding tradition of seeing Star Wars films with my old man, came out for a (very) brief visit just to do that. So far we've only not seen one together.

Anyway, The Rise of Skywalker was...fine. Enjoyable. Enough fan-service paid to the original films that make die-hard like me smile. Enough cool shit interspersed to keep me interested. Was it a great film? Not really. But it kept me engaged. The old man liked it too. And frankly I thought it was a lot better than The Last Jedi, which was admittedly more ambitious, but just didn't really work for me.

Sometimes though JJ Abrams can get on my nerves. He tends to lay sentiment down about as thick as a pavement crew. Thankfully there are no maudlin piano sequences. The cliches come in hot and heavy on this one. But again, cool shit!!!

I sooooo wish though that we could go back in time and convince George Lucas to hold off on the prequels and do them NOW, with Adam Driver playing the role of Anakin Skywalker. Say what you will about Kylo Ren and the material he's been given, but I honestly think he's the best actor to ever play a major role in Star Wars, and would've been absolutely perfect for that role. As it stands, he still brings a lot to a role that could've been very by-the-numbers.

Nothing in here holds a candle to the originals, but it was still quite enjoyable to me at least. Watch it at your own risk.

Three Pucks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:15 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Pokecheque wrote:

Nothing in here holds a candle to the originals, but it was still quite enjoyable to me at least. Watch it at your own risk.

Three Pucks.

Agreed, the wife and my son and I saw it tonight and it was good, not the originals, but good. I would say out of the three new ones that this one was the best

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:24 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Continued the longstanding tradition of seeing Star Wars films with my old man, came out for a (very) brief visit just to do that. So far we've only not seen one together.

Anyway, The Rise of Skywalker was...fine. Enjoyable. Enough fan-service paid to the original films that make die-hard like me smile. Enough cool shit interspersed to keep me interested. Was it a great film? Not really. But it kept me engaged. The old man liked it too. And frankly I thought it was a lot better than The Last Jedi, which was admittedly more ambitious, but just didn't really work for me.

Sometimes though JJ Abrams can get on my nerves. He tends to lay sentiment down about as thick as a pavement crew. Thankfully there are no maudlin piano sequences. The cliches come in hot and heavy on this one. But again, cool shit!!!

I sooooo wish though that we could go back in time and convince George Lucas to hold off on the prequels and do them NOW, with Adam Driver playing the role of Anakin Skywalker. Say what you will about Kylo Ren and the material he's been given, but I honestly think he's the best actor to ever play a major role in Star Wars, and would've been absolutely perfect for that role. As it stands, he still brings a lot to a role that could've been very by-the-numbers.

Three Pucks.
Taking LP2 my 9 year old boy to this today. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the review Tom!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:25 am 

I guess my biggest gripe with these films, and every iteration of Star Wars since Return of the Jedi, is that we really haven’t been given any memorable characters. It can’t be understated how important Harrison Ford was to the whole franchise. He’s not necessarily an elite actor, but he was so effortlessly charming and so readily embraced the whole swashbuckling aspect to his character that he practically drove those three films. It helped the three leads had pitch-perfect chemistry throughout. It was lightning in a bottle and just can’t be recreated.

The prequels were a complete dud, far too self-serious and not a single “scoundrel” to be found. Abrams must have recognized this and tried to create three “stand-ins” for Luke, Leia, and Han with Poe, Rey, and Finn, but it doesn’t quite work. The writers just never quite figured out what to do with them.

Still, it works better than the prequels did.

The only non-original trilogy film I found thoroughly enjoyable was Solo, and I think it’s because that film figured out how to still have fun and give us some characters who don’t take things too seriously. Plus, it gave us something new with that kick-ass train robbery scene.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:15 pm 

Jumanji 2 (or is it 3?)

I'll give it three pucks. Wife wanted to do something fun yesterday so that's what we settled for. Perfectly enjoyable popcorn fair.

The best part is having the Rock and Awkwafina do their best Danny DeVito impressions, which you'll understand once you see the film.

And yes, they're already hinting at a third (or is it the fourth?) film in the post-credits scene.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 32  Next