OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hayao Miyazaki: Finale
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:33 pm 

Not sure if there are any other Miyazaki fans on here but if you dont know who he is you're missing out on perhaps the greatest movie director of our time, who's final movie is being released across North American today. "The Wind Rises"

Seriously you folks with children if you're not aware of him well missing out on "Totoro" would be akin to a child missing out on Dr. Seuss. He has the rare gift of creating animation stories that appeal to children and still strongly evoke and resonate with adult fans. Totoro is just beautiful, a story with no plot, where nothing really happens other than kids having adventures with a cat-bus. Perhaps the most perfect movie ever for little kids.

Spirited Away is ranked as the #36 movie of all time on IMDB. And it's a absolutely fantastic movie for young girls in the 9-12 year old range. Typical Miyazaki with strong female heroine bravely trying to save her parents from becoming the main ingredient in a BLT sandwich.

Amazing artist, incredible landscapes, female heroes, concern about the environment and a foreign sensibility that's very different from North American story telling. Looking forward to his last movie (adult only unfortunately) but not looking forward to him no longer producing any new work. If you haven't seen him before do yourself a favour and check out "Spirited Away" from your library.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:26 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Fogghorn wrote:
Not sure if there are any other Miyazaki fans on here but if you dont know who he is you're missing out on perhaps the greatest movie director of our time, who's final movie is being released across North American today. "The Wind Rises"

Seriously you folks with children if you're not aware of him well missing out on "Totoro" would be akin to a child missing out on Dr. Seuss. He has the rare gift of creating animation stories that appeal to children and still strongly evoke and resonate with adult fans. Totoro is just beautiful, a story with no plot, where nothing really happens other than kids having adventures with a cat-bus. Perhaps the most perfect movie ever for little kids.

Spirited Away is ranked as the #36 movie of all time on IMDB. And it's a absolutely fantastic movie for young girls in the 9-12 year old range. Typical Miyazaki with strong female heroine bravely trying to save her parents from becoming the main ingredient in a BLT sandwich.

Amazing artist, incredible landscapes, female heroes, concern about the environment and a foreign sensibility that's very different from North American story telling. Looking forward to his last movie (adult only unfortunately) but not looking forward to him no longer producing any new work. If you haven't seen him before do yourself a favour and check out "Spirited Away" from your library.

Thanks I have never heard of him. I need some way to be reminded of Spirited Away in 3.5 years when my daughter turns 9!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:47 pm 

At that age I'd suggest Totoro and "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Ponyo" although I think that last one is the poorest of his work it's still good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:06 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I've only seen Princess Mononoke, which is ridiculous since I LOVE Anime. It's because of visionaries like this that animation is perfectly acceptable by people of all ages in Japan, and it's strictly kid stuff here (though the folks at Pixar are at least making family stuff that's not necessarily insulting to adults).

I'll have to catch up on his stuff pretty quick here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:37 am 

Av-merican wrote:
I've only seen Princess Mononoke, which is ridiculous since I LOVE Anime. It's because of visionaries like this that animation is perfectly acceptable by people of all ages in Japan, and it's strictly kid stuff here (though the folks at Pixar are at least making family stuff that's not necessarily insulting to adults).

I'm envious you have Spirited Away too see still for the first time. My first one was Howls Moving Castle which I say in a theatre with the girlfriend. At one point I realized I was sitting there with my mouth completely agape, wide friggin open in awe. Looked over at the gf and she was doing exactly the same.

He started out doing the background landscapes for others when he was young and had kept that within his work, its really something special on a large screen at a movie theatre.

Update me when you've seem more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:40 am 
Big in Japan

I love Howl's Moving Castle. I have to admit I always liked his movies more on a visual level, so I like the weirder ones.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:01 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:

Well Poke, did you ever catch up on any of his stuff? If not here's a pretty good all time listing of Studio Ghibli films. I'd rate Howl's Moving Castle higher than #12 but other than that I'd certainly agree with the top four films. All amazing.

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-st ... ource=digg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:22 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oof...no I unfortunately have not. So many streaming options I'm basically crawling through my DVD selections at the moment.

Kinda tough to watch stuff that the wife doesn't also watch, especially since most of the time I'm in the basement watching something, it's a hockey game. Sooner or later though I'm gonna get my anime fix.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:52 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Oof...no I unfortunately have not. So many streaming options I'm basically crawling through my DVD selections at the moment.

Kinda tough to watch stuff that the wife doesn't also watch, especially since most of the time I'm in the basement watching something, it's a hockey game. Sooner or later though I'm gonna get my anime fix.

And you get another chance. Netflix is streaming all the studio Ghibli stuff

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... kdown-days

Get your wife to try Spirited Away, I suspect she'll find it nothing like what she expects it to be. She might still not like it but I would be very surprised if anyone could preconceive what it is about.