OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:43 pm 
King of the One-Liner

harmfuljays wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
But a gallon of Fresh Cider, 1/2 cup brown sugar. and some champagne yeast into a little demijohn today with an airlock. Curious to see how it turns out but not sure I will be into the hard cider hence just a gallon.

This sounds great. I'd be interested. Let me know how it turns out.

I actually just racked it today to get it of the trub and the little bit I sampled was nice, enough so I regret not making a five gallon batch. will wait another two or three weeks before I bottle.

I used a six gallon carboy for fermenting the five gallon batches and nothing reaches the airlock let alone overflow.

Here is the Belgian Siason as I drink a bottle tonight, definitely will be brewing this again it is fantastic.

And for fun here is the cute little cider jug.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:49 am 
King of Men

And here I sit waiting for my wort to cool outside. Lesson learned get a wort chiller! :chairshot:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:09 am 
King of the One-Liner

I've been putting the stock pot and Wort into the sink full of ice water and as well had the other couple of gallons of water to add after boil refrigerated and cold. But yeah also considering adding a chiller to the gear after I move in Feb.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:27 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
I've been putting the stock pot and Wort into the sink full of ice water and as well had the other couple of gallons of water to add after boil refrigerated and cold. But yeah also considering adding a chiller to the gear after I move in Feb.

Are you staying in the Falls?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:42 am 
King of the One-Liner

Yep only moving about a km away from currant place.

To keep it on topic the new house has a cold cellar which next winter may get cold enough to do some lagering. Failing that I will have an extra fridge and space to keep it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:15 pm 
King of Men

More learning notes......I need one of these.....

Lesson 2........Do not add airlock with water in it.........the water will suck into the wort when you push it into the hole. Thus angering you greatly after all of your work to not contaminate the batch. Add airlock then water.

Lesson 3......do not start this shit on a week night unless you have the Wort Chiller.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:22 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Another note, use sanitized water in the airlock as you can not be too safe.

What is the new batch Harmy?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:42 pm 
King of Men

Black Canyon Stout. I am going to try and add some lactose during bottling to a 12-pack and see how that goes as well. It says fermentation for 14 days.....but I am wondering if perhaps it would be better to rack to the carboy when I crack it open to add the Vanilla bean in 7 days. Something about sitting in the same spent yeast for 14 days sounds nasty.

That's a good note about the sanitized water. I'll remember that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:11 pm 
King of the One-Liner

From what I have read sitting on the yeast bed is not an issue but saying that I have and will continue to rack to a secondary as it as well seems wrong to me. Lactose... I assume you are trying to sweeten without fermentation or is it a mouth feel thing?

Edit: looked it up a milk Stout so both Sweetness and feel it is. All this beer is bad enough not sure I can look at recipes that dose it with extra carbs and calories at the end. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:56 pm 
King of Men

Final gravity on my Stout was 1.021.....should have been down around 1.018. Looks to be about 4.2%.....supposed to be 5. Its been in secondary for 2 weeks so I doubt it will benefit any longer. I think I pitched too hot. Either way I threw some lactose into the bottling sugar and damn it did taste good. I talked to the Brewmaster up at left hand before I added the Lactose and he was like yeah just throw it in there! 4 ozs is just right.

I'll enjoy it either way.

On my 3rd Ocktoberfest this evening. Taste isn't very consistent and its kind of angry tasting. First one I had was good....second one was sketchy and the 3rd one is good. I'll throw a 12 in the fridge for Thanksgiving tomorrow. No idea that the ABV is on this one.

That Ferrari bottle tree I picked up is the shit. That and much praise for my deep sink.....no idea how I would be doing all of this cleaning without it.

I'll definitely be putting another batch in play here in a week. Gotta keep the beer going. Looking at a Holiday spice next.

I should probably look at a 6 gallon carboy to ferment in. I've been fermenting in my 6 gallon starter bucket but I'd like to be able to watch it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:06 pm 
King of Men

Well its brew time again at the harmfuljays establishment. A Gold Coast Pale Ale is on the stove heating up. I think I've got this down a bit better now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

BTW, folks, if any of your friends make dog treats I'm told you can use the leftover barley to make them.

http://www.barleylabs.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:36 am 
King of Men

AGGGGHHH! after 6 hours of brewing I somehow manage to fuck this up. Upon inserting my blow back device or whatever its called the small rubber gasket fell into the mix! Then against my better judgement i reached into the wort to fish it out and did not find it! It is now named.....forearm pale ale! Fuck this!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:09 am 
King of the One-Liner

If it ferments fast enough it will self sanitize!

Going to brew a Whiskey barrel stout sometime this week. Not with a real whiskey barrel but with ground up barrel chips that I will throw into the secondary for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:17 am 
King of Men

Thanks I was a bit overly dramatic myself. But after 6 hours of brewing and several beverages I can be a bit sensitive.

Its time to upgrade off of the fermentation bucket into a 6 gallon carboy.

Its about 64-65 in the beer closet.....I think it may be too cold and affecting fermentation.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:07 am 
King of the One-Liner

Brewed up the Whiskey Barrel Stout yesterday all went well. Pitched the yeast 14hrs ago and already gurgling up a storm and is nicely sitting in the mid sixties for temp. Now I need to get motivated and cold crash and bottle my cider.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:29 pm 
King of Men

Yep...moved the Gold Coast to secondary last night. I figure if all goes well I can have up to 3 batches in play at once. I've got a Continental Lite coming this week too.

So do you cold crash and do secondary fermentation? I suppose I could just move the carboy into the garage during the winter for a few days before bottling. Maybe I will give it a shot in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:58 pm 
King of the One-Liner

yeah I cold crash in the carboy right before bottling.

This is a good summary of how I have been doing it and the clarity of the beer has been fantastic.

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:31 pm 
King of Men

Thanks I think I will try that with this Gold Coast since there was a lot of shit in it even when I moved it to secondary. After this Forearm Pale ale I am officially done with fermenting in a stupid bucket. Picked up a 6 gallon better bottle for the next batch. Also if I want to continue brewing at an almost full batch into spring time I have to get an immersion chiller. Its ok right now with a snow bank (still takes an hour plus at below 0). So that's the next thing to save up for.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BBG ... UTF8&psc=1

Might as well not screw around with the 25' and go right to the 50'. Well worth the money to save 2 hours of my time.

I just used this to print out some labels:

http://labeley.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:08 pm 
King of Men

Bottled the Forearm Pale Ale tonight....5.5%..... :aaa: Came up shy of 2 cases while bottling.....its very clear. I did not cold crash it as its been too warm here.

Of note my Black Canyon stout w/ lactose is interesting. Much better when poured into a glass. Its an ok beer but the last few bottles I bottled were pretty nasty. The Quarts are much better when poured. I made it a point to mix my bottling sugar better this evening. Not a fan of pale ales...so not even sure how this one got selected. :?

Got a German light kit downstairs right now.......should fire it up in the next couple of days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next