OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Soundtrack? Worst?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:54 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Don't really feel like entering billing data in at work, so...

Not sure how you would gauge best soundtrack vs. worst since there's kinda/sorta a movie you can evaluate with it. Use whatever criteria you see fit.

Here's my picks.

Best - THE CROW: In news sure to make RWC vomit in his bong water, they're planning to remake the original film. I got two words for you Hollywood: FUCK YOU. The original by Alex Proyas and starring the late Brandon Lee, is a masterpiece. Yes, it was way more style than substance, but that style was what made it so damned awesome. And no film I know of does more to shape itself around the soundtrack and vice versa. From the Cure's "Burn" playing loudly when Eric Draven first visits the scene of his death to his jumping from rooftop to rooftop to the beat of Nine Inch Nails to that spectacular fight scene in the club while My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult plays live below. Apart from the overly sappy Jane Siberry tune at the very end I absolutely love the film and soundtrack...and unlike Hollywood I don't think it's aged a bit.

Honorable mention: Almost Famous.

I'm actually having a hard time picking my worsts--there are a LOT to choose from. How do you gauge the worst? Is it a solid set of songs that don't fit at all with the film--a blatant attempt to simply market music with a movie even though the two have little to do with one another? Or is it just crappy music for a crappy film? I'd say "Last Action Hero" almost fits the bill for the former...apart from playing "Big Gun" (still one of my all-time fave AC/DC tunes) about 20 times the songs hardly get used. Which might be a good thing because the film itself sucked.

One guilty pleasure I have and will always have though is the soundtrack to "Transformers: The Movie." Yes, the movie isn't a tenth as good as I remember it when it came out in 1986, and the way-way-way overly synth'd score hasn't aged well at all. But I still love it, especially hair band Lion's take on the Transformers theme song.

Next!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:57 pm 
OTP Historian

I never heard or found out a single damn thing about the movie, but I remember that Lost Highway was supposed to have a wicked soundtrack. Eye by the Pumpkins was a great tune.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:03 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
I never heard or found out a single damn thing about the movie, but I remember that Lost Highway was supposed to have a wicked soundtrack. Eye by the Pumpkins was a great tune.

Like all David Lynch films, a sexy, stylish noir that doesn't make a damned bit of sense. Unlike a lot of his films I actually enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:05 pm 
Flamer who Likes to Ride Rough

I'll second Last Highway. (although the movie wasn't enjoyable to me)

New tunes from Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, and Marilyn Manson!

Fuck Yeah! :Butch:

Even the Bowie tune is decent...haha, and who could forget about Rammstein. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:10 pm 
Master of 'Bait

DH wrote:
..haha, and who could forget about Rammstein. :lol:

Who would like to forget about Rammstein? :suicide: