OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:47 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
But knowing people may be checking out my search history gives me a false sense of significance.

Hunh? :psyduck: That's what social media is for.....

Fogg wrote:
Just curious, as a parent do you now have to have discussions about safe computing? Proper password creation and usage, things you don't do on public machines, etc? Or is that something you leave up to schools and their peers to teach them like we had to figure out sex back in the day?

That's a discussion for the OTL.

That would require giving me access again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:55 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Fogghorn wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:

Just curious, as a parent do you now have to have discussions about safe computing? Proper password creation and usage, things you don't do on public machines, etc? Or is that something you leave up to schools and their peers to teach them like we had to figure out sex back in the day?

Lke everything, it isn't a one-and-done situation. We have many brief conversations when the situation calls for it. Hand-me-down-iPhone-converted-to-iPod? Talk about password locks. Gmail account given by their school? Explanation of why their gmail account is secured and only accessible behind the school's firewalls. New Mojang account for their favorite game? Account in my name so I can monitor any spam emails or junk mail that might arise from that. New cell phone with texting? Explanation for why we lock out data and MMS (at least for now). We explain why we should be very careful with public machines and never plug in USB drives from home to these. We will gradually ease these restrictions as our kids demonstrate maturity and understanding for these rules. Our 12 year old is pretty good about these things, has an Instagram account, text messaging, gmail account for general email and YT access. Between my wife and I, we monitor his emails, texts and so on. We generally don't use NetNanny type web blockers yet; he hasn't shown any interest in that part of the internet, but I'm sure that will change soon. These days, my kids are far more savvy than we were at that age. Our nine-year-old taught himself how to use iMovie on our Mac in about half an hour over the weekend so he could finish his homework assignment.

I have had 'the talk' with him; very uncomfortable from my perspective but even moreso from his. I feel it's more important to keep the lines open than to shut them down.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:07 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:

Lke everything, it isn't a one-and-done situation. We have many brief conversations when the situation calls for it. Hand-me-down-iPhone-converted-to-iPod? Talk about password locks. Gmail account given by their school? Explanation of why their gmail account is secured and only accessible behind the school's firewalls. New Mojang account for their favorite game? Account in my name so I can monitor any spam emails or junk mail that might arise from that. New cell phone with texting? Explanation for why we lock out data and MMS (at least for now). We explain why we should be very careful with public machines and never plug in USB drives from home to these. We will gradually ease these restrictions as our kids demonstrate maturity and understanding for these rules. Our 12 year old is pretty good about these things, has an Instagram account, text messaging, gmail account for general email and YT access. Between my wife and I, we monitor his emails, texts and so on. We generally don't use NetNanny type web blockers yet; he hasn't shown any interest in that part of the internet, but I'm sure that will change soon. These days, my kids are far more savvy than we were at that age. Our nine-year-old taught himself how to use iMovie on our Mac in about half an hour over the weekend so he could finish his homework assignment.

I have had 'the talk' with him; very uncomfortable from my perspective but even moreso from his. I feel it's more important to keep the lines open than to shut them down.

On the technical side it would have to be hard, most parents are at least a decade behind, hell it's my field I don't keep up to it all. When this thought popped into my head I realized there is probably a parent with technical ability blogging on all these issues. If so it would be a very good reference, if not then a nice idea for one of you if interested in starting a blog and making some money (little, very little)

Anyways don't forget to mention key loggers to them on public machines.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:45 pm 
King of Men

Fogghorn wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
But knowing people may be checking out my search history gives me a false sense of significance.

Hunh? :psyduck: That's what social media is for.....

Fogg wrote:

That's a discussion for the OTL.

That would require giving me access again.

We'll get that fixed. I sent that over to Ian.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:54 pm 
King of Men

Ha....yeah...let's wait to move this discussion I've got plenty to offer. The old man and I have discussed this elsewhere a bit.....especially since some of us have kids in their teens now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:43 pm 

Damn, this does it, I am now certain that I'm officially old enough that the world is definitely starting to pass me by.

Quote:
Before I talk about my own troubles, let me tell you about another book, “Computer Game Bot Turing Test”. It's one of over 100,000 “books” “written” by a Markov chain running over random Wikipedia articles, bundled up and sold online for a ridiculous price. The publisher, Betascript, is notorious for this kind of thing.

It gets better. There are whole species of other bots that infest the Amazon Marketplace, pretending to have used copies of books, fighting epic price wars no one ever sees. So with “Turing Test” we have a delightful futuristic absurdity: a computer program, pretending to be human, hawking a book about computers pretending to be human, while other computer programs pretend to have used copies of it. A book that was never actually written, much less printed and read.

I get how this is done technically, but barely, and I can't really get my head around the societal implications of all of it, at least not without a long concerted effort. And it makes me wonder how many, many other technical changes that will profoundly affect society that I'm not keeping up with. Time to find a nice pasture to laze in.

http://carlos.bueno.org/2012/02/bots-seized-control.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:14 pm 
King of Men

well you can always make your way over to THE CRACKDOWN thread elsewhere. I attempt to discuss/rant about privacy there not sure if that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:08 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Jay, I may not always comment but I am always paying rapt attention to everything that you say.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:22 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Damn, this does it, I am now certain that I'm officially old enough that the world is definitely starting to pass me by.

Amazon itself is fucked sometimes, at least the Canadian version. Look at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-NIMh-Re ... B000BESLQK

List Price: $19.57
Price: $11.35
You Save: $8.22 (42%)

http://www.amazon.ca/Energizer-NIMh-Rec ... B000BESLQK

List Price: CDN$ 78.22
Price: CDN$ 16.95
You Save: CDN$ 61.27 (78%)

Sweet! I'll save 62 dollars on this 4-pack of batteries! I remember them advertising DVDs or Blu-Rays on sale, when the regular price was over 2x what you'd normally see on retail.

[Edit] Hehe BOOOBES

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:48 pm 

About time, tres cool Google

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/05/15/ok_google_hot_wording_lets_you_have_a_conversation_with_your_chrome_browser.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:55 am 
OTP Historian

Anyone using a wireless access point/bridge? Looking at potential solutions for my basement since I'll have 3, possibly 4 devices in the same area(PC, receiver, PS3 and potentially the next TV). I can theoretically do 3 without it if I get the PS3 wireless working(still have to do what Harmy suggested), and then bridge my wireless card on my PC to the ethernet port and run the cable from there to the receiver. If the TV is wireless I wouldn't need to as well.

If I use the access point/bridge, I can take the wireless card out of the PC and put it in the one upstairs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:16 pm 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
Anyone using a wireless access point/bridge? Looking at potential solutions for my basement since I'll have 3, possibly 4 devices in the same area(PC, receiver, PS3 and potentially the next TV). I can theoretically do 3 without it if I get the PS3 wireless working(still have to do what Harmy suggested), and then bridge my wireless card on my PC to the ethernet port and run the cable from there to the receiver. If the TV is wireless I wouldn't need to as well.

If I use the access point/bridge, I can take the wireless card out of the PC and put it in the one upstairs.

Has anyone messed around with DD-WRT? I have a second old router and it looks like I could install DD-WRT on it if its supported and use it as a client bridge to do what I want.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:19 pm 
King of Men

Yep......I've got it on both of my open source routers. Hell bent on making that wireless work aren't you? You are making things very difficult! I find great irony that you sold me on the Powerline. :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833315112

$30 for a Wireless extender...

I currently don't do bridging with my DD-WRT routers (primarily because I don't need to any longer) but I have heard it works well for some folks. .....my experience with this wasn't any better than buying a bridge and trying to sync that up but I suppose its worth a shot. Might work for you. The problem most people encounter with bridging is that they are already trying to bridge on a weak signal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:31 am 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
Yep......I've got it on both of my open source routers. Hell bent on making that wireless work aren't you? You are making things very difficult! I find great irony that you sold me on the Powerline. :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833315112

$30 for a Wireless extender...

I currently don't do bridging with my DD-WRT routers (primarily because I don't need to any longer) but I have heard it works well for some folks. .....my experience with this wasn't any better than buying a bridge and trying to sync that up but I suppose its worth a shot. Might work for you. The problem most people encounter with bridging is that they are already trying to bridge on a weak signal.

I'll try my powerline again to see if it works but I doubt it will. It could possibly work in the basement if somehow the electrical I did is better than the connection to upstairs, so I could grab the wife's laptop and test it. But with the cost of the new powerline, I can easily buy two of these at $39 apiece:

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN12_D1/

And that's probably what I'll end up doing. I can't install DD-WRT on my DLink DIR-615, but I can on my wife's really old G Belkin. Unfortunately, that may not be good enough for what I want it for. I'll pick up one of ASUS routers, test it out as a bridge and as the main router and if I like it, eventually pick up a second one.

Harmy, do you know anything about the Buffalo routers?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:49 pm 
King of Men

Probably your best bet and its got 4 ports. Can't really go wrong there. Let me know how it goes.

Nope....no Buffalo, I've got linksys and netgear. Most of the Builds are close and if you've done any administration on any enterprise piece of gear over the past 10 years you probably won't need any help beyond the website.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:48 pm 
OTP Historian

I have zero experience with any enterprise-level gear, unfortunately.

This looks like the base Buffalo offering with DD-WRT, at least that Ncix carries anyway.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76253 ... re=Buffalo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:35 pm 
King of Men

Couldn't see the price on that. This is what I use and it looks pre loaded with DD-WRT so no screwing around

http://www.amazon.ca/WNR3500L-DD-WRT-VP ... tgear+3500

$67 That one is pretty old but it does the trick. I could probably stand an upgrade at some point.

Whole bunch of open source on newegg.ca too.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductLis ... ageSize=20

I've never heard of rosewill but $25.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:23 am 
OTP Historian

The price on the Buffalo is $60 canadian.

So I tried hooking up the powerline again. Shows there is a link between the adapters, shows my computer connected to it, but its doing nothing. Absolutely will not find the network. Fucking POS. Windows shows connected to an unidentified network, but it can't connect to the router. That's funny, Windows. What network is it connected to?

The ASUS router was easily configured as an extender in about 5 minutes and worked with my wife's laptop. Time to plug it in and test it out on this computer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:34 am 
OTP Historian

Yeah its working as a repeater. Nice.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:03 pm 
King of Men

Bosc wrote:
Yeah its working as a repeater. Nice.
:lol: Perfect! Fuck that wireline!

So just the Asus bridge...no DD-WRT needed eh? That was easy.... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next