OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:07 pm 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Yeah its working as a repeater. Nice.
:lol: Perfect! Fuck that wireline!

So just the Asus bridge...no DD-WRT needed eh? That was easy.... :D

Yup, for sure. I may still try installing DD-WRT on my wife's old G router anyways just to mess around. Hardware revision on my DIR-615 isn't supported.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:51 am 
OTP Historian

Damn this router is easy to use. Reconfiguring it to be a router took literally a minute.

PS3 can also connect wirelessly to it, unlike my old router. I'll test it to see if devices lose the internet connection and if its fixed, then I'm buying another one for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Well would you look at that. This old Belkin can be used as a bridge itself!

Ah well, gonna install dd-wrt anyways :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:50 pm 
OTP Historian

Just ordered a Crucial M500 120GB SSD. Looking forward to putting it in!

My 36GB Raptor drive kept running out of space. I offloaded everything I could, and finally discovered that NVidia doesn't delete its own fucking installation files, eating up like 3-4 GB of space.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:01 am 
OTP Historian

Had an itch to mess around with my PCs lately. Decided to grab a heatsink for my old box(9 year old AMD socket939 X2 4200+ processor, A8N32 SLI Deluxe MB, 3GB RAM) since it looks like it runs pretty hot. Pulled the old sink and CPU out. 6 bent pins :shock: :lol: I don't think that I've ever removed it since I first installed it. The new heatsink is installed but isn't making a huge difference. I wonder if the processor is a little messed up after that so the heat dissipation isn't great.

Bumped the clock up a but on it, and ran a stress test for 15 minutes. It didn't crash. I might try to bump it up a little more and run it for hours, but holy shit does it heat up the whole office that I'm currently working in.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:59 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
Had an itch to mess around with my PCs lately. Decided to grab a heatsink for my old box(9 year old AMD socket939 X2 4200+ processor, A8N32 SLI Deluxe MB, 3GB RAM) since it looks like it runs pretty hot. Pulled the old sink and CPU out. 6 bent pins :shock: :lol: I don't think that I've ever removed it since I first installed it. The new heatsink is installed but isn't making a huge difference. I wonder if the processor is a little messed up after that so the heat dissipation isn't great.

Bumped the clock up a but on it, and ran a stress test for 15 minutes. It didn't crash. I might try to bump it up a little more and run it for hours, but holy shit does it heat up the whole office that I'm currently working in.

You must really be bored to bother messing around with that old of a system.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:57 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Bosc wrote:

You must really be bored to bother messing around with that old of a system.

It started with not wanting to spend a pile of money upgrading the box that I built almost 4 years ago for a couple of new games. It stills runs new games really well. Just put a new sink in it and I kind of want to buy another SSD.

Then I just felt like seeing what I could do with this older one without spending a bunch of money. It still runs well with the odd hiccup after I bumped the RAM up to 3GB. Anam was using it for some freelance work, after her laptop died, that didn't require something state of the art. Really it's just the case, MB and CPU that are original. Anam isn't doing the freelance work so if I do fuck something up, it's not the end of the world.

The MB is a true dual SLI so that would be fun to try. The problem is finding another video card that's compatible for cheap. Then I'd be CPU-bottlenecked, and finding a CPU much better that fits the 939 socket is hard and expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:11 am 
Big in Japan

How long do your computer monitors last? The last two I've purchased couldn't make it to three years before their backlights burnt out (or whatever the problem is)

Turned the brightness down, which didn't help.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:09 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
How long do your computer monitors last? The last two I've purchased couldn't make it to three years before their backlights burnt out (or whatever the problem is)

Turned the brightness down, which didn't help.

I've never had an LCD monitor or TV go like that(I've had 3 monitors and one TV). The current one that I have didn't see much use for the first three years that I had it. The first LCD monitor I bought over 9 years ago is still alive and kicking at my parents.

I did have the digital signal converter/input/whatever die on one, but the VGA input still worked. Common problem on that model that I didn't see before I bought it, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:04 pm 

First one 5 present one 7 I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:22 pm 
OTP Historian

My Frankenstien's monster of Hard drives downstairs PC has been changed.

Got a 500GB SSD. So it looked like:

120GB SSD(OS)
500GB SSD
320GB Sata HDD
140GD Sata HDD from an old laptop.
36GB 10k RPM Sata Raptor drive

Upstairs PC:
250GB Sata HDD
40GB IDE drive(unconnected).

Time to sort out this mess. Took the laptop drive out of the downstairs PC. Was going to clone the upstairs PC and swap it with the laptop drive, but the drive tray doesn't match the form factor. Adapter?

40GB IDE has Fedora on it. Might just leave that alone. It wasn't connected for a while since Anam was using the PC.

36GB Raptor just has Diablo 3 installed on it. It's just extra space now. I think the speeds are slower than the 250GB and 320GB but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:37 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Okay guys, now I'm gonna need some help.

Rebuilding a crapped out computer, Dell Dimension E521 (built for XP). Had to get a new hard drive, which works fine, but it can't seem to find the damned network card and therefore can't get online. First tried straight-up loading Windows 7 and when that didn't work I thought we could try putting the original XP on there and load the drivers that way since the only drivers available online for that particular model are for XP. Still no dice. Any suggestions? I had one of the admin employees help me out and I'm not sure if he loaded the drivers in order. According to what I've read online you have to install them in order or they don't work. Another guy I talked to suggested buying a new network card and get the driver for it separately.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:51 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:

Rebuilding a crapped out computer, Dell Dimension E521 (built for XP). Had to get a new hard drive, which works fine, but it can't seem to find the damned network card and therefore can't get online. First tried straight-up loading Windows 7 and when that didn't work I thought we could try putting the original XP on there and load the drivers that way since the only drivers available online for that particular model are for XP. Still no dice. Any suggestions? I had one of the admin employees help me out and I'm not sure if he loaded the drivers in order. According to what I've read online you have to install them in order or they don't work. Another guy I talked to suggested buying a new network card and get the driver for it separately.

You could call or email the company to see if there are any Windows 7 network drivers. If they aren't, you might be out of luck and have to replace the network card.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:01 pm 

Av-merican wrote:

there should be no order, as there should only be a single driver to install for the Network card

Do you load XP and all the service packs, good chance the original XP did not have that current driver but a later service pack will have.

Other that if you can find the network card (the one with the RJ45 connector port) and look for model number, there will be drivers somewhere online.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:03 pm 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
Time to sort out this mess. Took the laptop drive out of the downstairs PC. Was going to clone the upstairs PC and swap it with the laptop drive, but the drive tray doesn't match the form factor. Adapter?

Ha, fuck it. I'll just drill some holes in the drive tray.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:34 am 
King of Men

I've had this problem before rebuilding Dell Laptops and towers........they do not have W7 drivers usually because Dell drops support for older machines.

BUT

http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... t/19518343

try to follow that and use the Vista drivers.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/ ... n&cs=&l=en

And whatever you do make sure you make a network folder with these drivers in case you have to do that again in the future. I usually create a folder for every model rebuild that I've done.

I've never had to do the in order thing though....usually finding the driver and putting it on a USB and then running it works fine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:02 pm 

Okay, thanks...I'll try that.

There's also the possibility the damn network card got damaged. The good news is I have the same exact model of Dell sitting in my basement, so I can just swap them out if need be.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:07 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Okay, thanks...I'll try that.

There's also the possibility the damn network card got damaged. The good news is I have the same exact model of Dell sitting in my basement, so I can just swap them out if need be.

You can also try putting it in another slot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:21 pm 

Well, couldn't swap cards (integrated into the motherboard) so I finally just said fuck it and took it to a repair shop that did a good job on one of our personal laptops way back when. Get a call while I'm on the can from the shop that says the motherboard is fried, probably not worth replacing. At that point I'm pissed I even spent the money replacing the damned hard drive when I get another call less than a minute later from the same place--dude had accidentally mixed up orders and the motherboard is actually NOT fried, it'll be around $50-60 to replace/test/verify the NIC card.

Finally, I got done shitting and told my wife the good news.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:35 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Well, couldn't swap cards (integrated into the motherboard) so I finally just said fuck it and took it to a repair shop that did a good job on one of our personal laptops way back when. Get a call while I'm on the can from the shop that says the motherboard is fried, probably not worth replacing. At that point I'm pissed I even spent the money replacing the damned hard drive when I get another call less than a minute later from the same place--dude had accidentally mixed up orders and the motherboard is actually NOT fried, it'll be around $50-60 to replace/test/verify the NIC card.

Finally, I got done shitting and told my wife the good news.

At least with a hard drive you could have probably just taken it out and added it to another machine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next