OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:34 pm 
Old Man of the Post

It seems I can see everyone else's wireless network around me so interference might be at work here. I imagine that because I am on cable broadband, that I am actually sharing that pipe with everyone else, and that might explain the variability in throughput. The routers I use are pretty standard off-the-shelf routers so I can't imagine that they would intelligently find the path of least resistance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:18 pm 

Your broadband pipe will be much larger than the max you get through wireless. almost certain sharing with neighbours won't affect your wireless performance. Interference from other wireless can affect performance though. Although there are 11 channels there is a lot of overlap. There are only 3 distinct bands 1, 6 and 11. A 'smart' router will look for the band with the least interference. Although if you're in the burbs it shouldn't be to much of a problem unless you have a neighbour who is really pumping out high transmit.

Make sure your router is not located any where near a microwave and possibly your phone base as both can run in the same wave length.

I'd suggest doing a performance test directly cabled into your first router and use that for a baseline. It should be well above your wireless. Then test your wireless morning, evening and late at night. If it varies significantly it is probably environmental interference (there should be peaks and lows in your neighbourhood. If it stays pretty constant then I'd strongly suspect an issue with either your client or the router. Also important to test on a couple different clients. The standards are more suggestions then standards. Every wireless client manufacturer idesigns a little different and some work better than others depending on the wireless router being used.

If the clients are different then I can point you to some changes you can make if you're on a PC. If you're on a MAC I'm afraid you're hooped. Mac's are great accept when they're not, they are brutal to reconfigure and reconfiguring the airport on them is pretty deep.

One last thing. Are you using WPA2 for security? If not then please do. If using WEP or nothing you may have neighbours hopping onto your network and that could definitely slow you down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:38 pm 
King of Men

Can't add anything more than Fogg said he's dead on. Shouldn't be that much of a hassle if you get a router that auto channel searches (the netgear I spoke of does this). If it becomes a big concern go to the Powerline ehternet which I did when I became totally irritated with the Wireless. Aruba? Good show!

If you aren't using WPA2 and MAC security well....your wireless is just wrong!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:41 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
If you aren't using WPA2 and MAC security well....your wireless is just wrong!

Actually MAC can be spoofed pretty easy. I've never done it but read up on it and not to hard to pull off.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:43 pm 
King of Men

certainly but its added protection. I know every one of the MAC ids that associate to my AP (easy to do on the WNR3500). If its not titled it doesn't go. Coupled with WPA2 it is nearly wired.

oh and set your shit to non broadcasted if you haven't already done so.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:16 pm 
OTP Historian

Outlook 2010 is pissing me off right now. I need to send thousands of emails per hour to a pop3 account. I set up a rule to delete those messages in Outlook based on the subject line. Outlook has to download the email to delete them, and Outlook is slow as fuck downloading said emails. So, I set up Outlook to only download the headers, and changed the rule to delete if the phrase is found in the header(subject is part of the header, so should be fine). However, due to some limitation in the rules, it can't delete the message based on a header rule until it has downloaded the entire message, even though it has already downloaded the fucking message headers.

Sorry, had to rant. On the off chance, does anyone here happen to know of a decent Windows email client that is efficient at filtering and deleting email residing on a different server than the email client?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:40 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Outlook 2010 is pissing me off right now. I need to send thousands of emails per hour to a pop3 account. I set up a rule to delete those messages in Outlook based on the subject line. Outlook has to download the email to delete them, and Outlook is slow as fuck downloading said emails. So, I set up Outlook to only download the headers, and changed the rule to delete if the phrase is found in the header(subject is part of the header, so should be fine). However, due to some limitation in the rules, it can't delete the message based on a header rule until it has downloaded the entire message, even though it has already downloaded the fucking message headers.

Sorry, had to rant. On the off chance, does anyone here happen to know of a decent Windows email client that is efficient at filtering and deleting email residing on a different server than the email client?

can you forward them to gmail and let it delete the email then send them back to your account?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 am 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Bosc wrote:

can you forward them to gmail and let it delete the email then send them back to your account?

I don't think GMail will be too happy with getting thousands of emails per hour to one account :x This Pop3 account also can't forward to an address outside of our work network.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:35 am 

Bosc wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
Bosc wrote:

I don't think GMail will be too happy with getting thousands of emails per hour to one account :x This Pop3 account also can't forward to an address outside of our work network.

Is it and Exchange server?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

Did you try imap instead?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:12 pm 
OTP Historian

MrBumpNgrind wrote:

I thought it was already connected by IMAP, but its actually Pop3 and Outlook can't connect to the server when its configured as IMAP. Apparently IMAP in Outlook is a problem too - it won't apply a header rule to a message that only has the headers downloaded. It requires the entire message to be downloaded, even though it's a header rule.

Quote:

Nope, FreeBSD server, pretty sure its using sendmail.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:06 pm 

Bosc wrote:
MrBumpNgrind wrote:

I thought it was already connected by IMAP, but its actually Pop3 and Outlook can't connect to the server when its configured as IMAP. Apparently IMAP in Outlook is a problem too - it won't apply a header rule to a message that only has the headers downloaded. It requires the entire message to be downloaded, even though it's a header rule.

Quote:

If you're that much of an open source culture then you probably have access to the sendmail service. If I recall correctly it's a pretty simple service but their is almost for certain plugins out there that will allow you to cull them right on the mail service.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:09 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Bosc wrote:
MrBumpNgrind wrote:

Quote:

If you're that much of an open source culture then you probably have access to the sendmail service. If I recall correctly it's a pretty simple service but their is almost for certain plugins out there that will allow you to cull them right on the mail service.

Unfortunately we aren't :x Getting anything installed requires approval, and I don't have access to the servers install/change anything. That would require our configuration team.

Fortunately I won't be running this test for very long so I don't need something long term. It's also faster in the office today than over VPN yesterday so I can live with Outlook.

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:21 am 
Old Man of the Post

Has anyone used DuckDuckGo? http://www.neowin.net/news/meet-gabriel ... e-and-bing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:41 am 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:

sure do

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:40 am 
King of Men

All the time! Even use it on my phone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 am 
King of the One-Liner

But knowing people may be checking out my search history gives me a false sense of significance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:01 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:

Just curious, as a parent do you now have to have discussions about safe computing? Proper password creation and usage, things you don't do on public machines, etc? Or is that something you leave up to schools and their peers to teach them like we had to figure out sex back in the day?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 pm 
King of Men

Hounsy wrote:
But knowing people may be checking out my search history gives me a false sense of significance.

Hunh? :psyduck: That's what social media is for.....

Fogg wrote:
Just curious, as a parent do you now have to have discussions about safe computing? Proper password creation and usage, things you don't do on public machines, etc? Or is that something you leave up to schools and their peers to teach them like we had to figure out sex back in the day?

That's a discussion for the OTL.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:50 pm 
King of the One-Liner

harmfuljays wrote:
That's a discussion for the OTL.

LOL think I know why.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next