OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:02 am 
OTP Historian

Harmony or anyone running a UPS battery backup? Thinking of grabbing one for the modem, router, and NAS for brief power outages since the wife and I mainly work from home(and Anam works off of the NAS a lot). Not really sure if/how a power outage would affect the internet service to the house, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:31 pm 
King of Men

Yep I have 2.........I have an APC BackUPS 550 that all my networking gear is plugged into. I traded a Netgear modem for this and it works pretty well. Keeps the network up during power fluctuations. It only lasts about 5 minutes if the power is out but that's enough time to power shit down properly. Its much cheaper than the the Cyberpower.

The one I purchased for myself was a Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD.....that thing is a beast and it handles all of my more sensitive electronics. The main reason I purchased this one is because of the adaptive sine wave. As I mentioned above the power in my house can fluctuate and I wanted a system that could clean up the waves....I've got my TV, Receiver, game system, Fire TV and Roku plugged in there. I would most definitely buy another one of these when the APC unit goes.

There is a big difference in price between the two....but it you are looking for a basic battery backup for under $100 I haven't had any troubles with my APC unit.

I have not used any of the attached software so I can't speak to that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:58 pm 
OTP Historian

I'm looking at this one for $135.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/produ ... /avrg900u/

Should be able to keep the network stuff up for an hour+. It'll be a little annoying setting the NAS up with this in the same location as the modem and router, though. The space isn't the greatest for it.

I'm just wondering if there's a power outage in my area if the internet will still be up...no idea on how the infrastructure is set up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:35 pm 
King of Men

I have Comcast and my experience has been that it just keeps going until the UPS dies. Of course......what works for me may not work for you and may differ due to circumstances.

Ah I see.....$135 CDN. Amazon will typically run a deal of the day on these and then you can swoop in and get quite a discount on Cyberpower.

That AVRG900U should work just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:00 am 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
I have Comcast and my experience has been that it just keeps going until the UPS dies. Of course......what works for me may not work for you and may differ due to circumstances.

Ah I see.....$135 CDN. Amazon will typically run a deal of the day on these and then you can swoop in and get quite a discount on Cyberpower.

That AVRG900U should work just fine.

My buddy with the computer store in town I'm getting it through has the same ISP at home as me and he says the same - that it stays up while the power is out. I want to clarify with him before he gets it in but sounds like it should do the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Well, I'm getting tired of waiting for the new AMD CPU line and would be waiting a couple of years after release to iron out issues anyways, so its time to build a new PC.

My best PC is running a i7 3770 circa 2012.

Upgrading to the AMD 5900x, 32GB of ram.

It started with ordering the Lian Li Mini Air case. I want a smaller cube that will sit up on the tv stand without obstructing the TV. I don't need a mid-tower anymore. Then I just decided to build a new one and reuse the existing ssds and 1660 ti video card. Absolutely not upgrading the video card right now with the shortage and pricing insanity.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:06 pm 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
Well, I'm getting tired of waiting for the new AMD CPU line and would be waiting a couple of years after release to iron out issues anyways, so its time to build a new PC.

My best PC is running a i7 3770 circa 2012.

Upgrading to the AMD 5900x, 32GB of ram.

It started with ordering the Lian Li Mini Air case. I want a smaller cube that will sit up on the tv stand without obstructing the TV. I don't need a mid-tower anymore. Then I just decided to build a new one and reuse the existing ssds and 1660 ti video card. Absolutely not upgrading the video card right now with the shortage and pricing insanity.

Well I changed my mind rather quickly on that one. There was some stock of the 3070ti 40 minutes away. Ordered for pickup, then a different 3070ti card became available at a store that was a way better drive than the first one. Bought it Saturday.

I know its overpriced but I don't know when the fuck cards will be readily available enough for prices to come down. Helped that our work suddenly announced a bonus for all associates, so I spent my bonus before getting it :lol:

PC video is hooked directly to the TV and now I'm seeing AC Odyssey hitting 70fps at 4k. Receiver can only pass through 4k @ 30hz I think, and the audio return is only ARC, not eArc, so only 5.1 if I do HDMI audio return and 5.1 compressed via optical cable. Therefore video directly from the PC to the tv and audio goes to the receiver separately from the PC for 7.1.

I ran two hdmi cables in the wall when I finished the basement with ports on the plate, but the video card can output HDMI 2.1(4k 120hz with HDR) and the TV is HDMI 2.1, 4k 120hz HDR Nvidia G-sync as well(LG OLED 65C1). I left a kind of channel from the recessed outlet behind the TV to the outlet below it, so I should be able to fish an HDMI 2.1 cable through there when I get one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7