OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:21 am 
King of Men

Av-merican wrote:
Well, couldn't swap cards (integrated into the motherboard) so I finally just said fuck it and took it to a repair shop that did a good job on one of our personal laptops way back when. Get a call while I'm on the can from the shop that says the motherboard is fried, probably not worth replacing. At that point I'm pissed I even spent the money replacing the damned hard drive when I get another call less than a minute later from the same place--dude had accidentally mixed up orders and the motherboard is actually NOT fried, it'll be around $50-60 to replace/test/verify the NIC card.

Finally, I got done shitting and told my wife the good news.

Excellent...that's not too bad considering a Gig E nic PCI card is usually around $20.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Bit the bullet and took my free Windows 10 upgrade.

So far so good, but I haven't really dug around the new options yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:38 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

E.L. wrote:
Bit the bullet and took my free Windows 10 upgrade.

So far so good, but I haven't really dug around the new options yet.

Was it Harmy who said stay away from Windows 10? The reason I ask is I too have the free upgrade, but remember hearing Jay say don't do it. Is there anything wrong with Windows 10?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:06 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I have seven on my two systems I use so have not switched as seven has kept me happy. If I had Eight I'd likely give ten a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:21 pm 
King of Men

Upgrading windows 10 is up to you. I do not plan on doing that due to meta-data concerns.

Nothing is free.

If you must......at least disable the things in this article.

http://windows.wonderhowto.com/inspirat ... 0-0163552/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:31 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Hounsy wrote:
I have seven on my two systems I use so have not switched as seven has kept me happy. If I had Eight I'd likely give ten a shot.

Yes, I still have seven and I am happy with it. Thanks for the info Harmy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:03 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

I am on 7 and I am not updating to 10. Next up is some heavy duty encryption software for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:18 pm 
King of Men

RW wrote:
I am on 7 and I am not updating to 10. Next up is some heavy duty encryption software for me.

Now that's what I like to hear!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:13 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

In the process of upgrading most of the machines in here to 10. For the most part I'm fine with it, just irritated that Microsoft thinks I can't install updates when I want to.

It's not a ton better than 7, but it's way, way better than 8.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:16 am 
Big in Japan

What's the best order to resetting a router? Whenever my router stops working (usually after a power outage but this time randomly), it's a day-long ordeal of leaving it unplugged.

There must be a better way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:38 am 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
What's the best order to resetting a router? Whenever my router stops working (usually after a power outage but this time randomly), it's a day-long ordeal of leaving it unplugged.

Really? I have an SB6141 that I use for Comcast and whenever I need to cycle that thing I just unplug it for 20-30 seconds. I reboot my R7000 whenever via the user interface and I don't leave that unplugged. Might be time for an upgrade!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:04 pm 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Really? I have an SB6141 that I use for Comcast and whenever I need to cycle that thing I just unplug it for 20-30 seconds. I reboot my R7000 whenever via the user interface and I don't leave that unplugged. Might be time for an upgrade!

It's a new router, unfortunately. Rebooting it requires a combination of unplugging everything, letting it sit for half the day, then plugging it all back in. If it doesn't work, I start the process all over again. Hitting the WAN button to reset does nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:34 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
E.L. wrote:

It's a new router, unfortunately. Rebooting it requires a combination of unplugging everything, letting it sit for half the day, then plugging it all back in. If it doesn't work, I start the process all over again. Hitting the WAN button to reset does nothing.

That's f'n terrible....I would have little patience for that cluster.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:16 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
E.L. wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
E.L. wrote:

That's f'n terrible....I would have little patience for that cluster.

There should be zero reason for unplugging more than a minute. The reason we leave it off for more than a few seconds is to let capacitors drain completely. Once drained its a completely clean reboot. Unless you have some sort of batteries attached one minute is fine. Anything beyond is another issue that I've never heard of and would take the router back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:41 pm 
King of Men

Finally upgraded all the PCs to Windows 10. They extended the free upgrade until the end of 2017 so I was able to get it all done.

Wife finally purchased a computer with an SSD and wow......big difference.

I believe I was able to turn off most of the spyware stuff that can be turned off. I liked being able to ditch that pain in the ass Symantec off all the PCs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:51 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

I was thinking about upgrading my PC with an SSD - worth it performance wise?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:48 pm 
King of Men

Before I loaded W10 on it booted into W7 in 1-2 seconds. W10 now takes 4-5.

Oh yeah I wouldn't go back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Love my SSD. A month ago I discovered iTunes had saved 50 GB of old playlist files on my SSD for reasons unknown. Deleted them, dumped iTunes, now I'm flying high.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:21 am 
OTP Historian

Yup, SSDs are awesome. Even on the old Sata 3GB/s they are a significant upgrade on HDDs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:13 pm 
King of Men

So.....after seeing the SSD performance on my wifes New (used) desktop.....I couldn't help myself and went out and put a 250G Crucial MX500 ($79.99) into my Dell E6510 (make sure your drivers are up to date). It comes with Acronis Cloning software and you do need to buy a 2.5 SATA to USB adapter which is not included ($10 on Amazon). Took me a few runs to realize you can't be plugged into the docking station but after that it was over and done with in 30 minutes and I was up and running again. Total lost time less than an hour. 7-10 secs to boot into W10. Not too bad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next