OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:40 pm 
Big in Japan

After resisting reunion offers for 20 years, the New Radicals reformed to play their hit You Get What You Give at the inauguration. It's a personal song for both the Biden and Harris families. Still a great tune:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ssion=true

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:43 am 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Jordan Merrick: Low Country. Merrick is from Brisbane Australia. I found him quite by accident just trying out random youtube videos. He doesn't have much notoriety but he pens an interesting tune.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:59 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

After 28 years, the electronic music duo known as Daft Punk call it quits using an interesting clip from an earlier short film they did to announce the split.

Gotta love these guys even if you didn’t love their music, because they committed fully to their musical personas. I know there’s pictures of their real faces but most of us only know them by their chromed armor sci-fi tinged visages.

I didn’t love everything they did but I love anything 80s inspired, and their Moroder-esque vibe was wholly 80s. Anyway I feel someone else on these boards will have a whole lot more to say about them so I’ll just hang up and listen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Anyway I feel someone else on these boards will have a whole lot more to say about them so I’ll just hang up and listen.

I don't even know where to begin!

You know that album you bought at 13 years old that changed your life? Daft Punk's Homework was probably that for me. For a kid in the suburbs where rock ruled, it was a gateway to clubs, house, techno, dancing, raves, record collecting and having good taste in music.

Discovery changed my life again, turning timeless samples into new classics. Their pyramid tour in the late 00s was a show I'll never forget.

They closed things up naturally: with big studio project Random Access Memories and a few hit tracks with the Weeknd. Everything they touched turned to gold.

People are cynically saying they'll reunite in the future, but I don't know, they've been pretty happy to not be in the spotlight.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:05 pm 

So music definitely calms the youngin' so any time she gets fussy we play random tunes. She doesn't seem to have a real preference yet, which is good because little kiddie music makes my fucking ears bleed.

Taking advantage of the fact that she doesn't yet understand racy lyrics. I definitely can't play tunes like this for her later on...

We have a part-time nanny for her at present--just a nice lady from the neighborhood who watches her 2-3 times a week so we can go to work. The only downside is that she's apparently a big Steely Dan fan and plays that for her all the time. I don't hate them by any means but they've always been kinda meh to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:26 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
So music definitely calms the youngin' so any time she gets fussy we play random tunes. She doesn't seem to have a real preference yet, which is good because little kiddie music makes my fucking ears bleed.

Taking advantage of the fact that she doesn't yet understand racy lyrics. I definitely can't play tunes like this for her later on...

Get the kid hooked on the original by Lakeside :woop: . Couldn't figure out how to embed a youtube video but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1YjmXS ... idiscMusic

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:32 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Kid friendly music- I think I wore out all my Bob Marley and Johnny Cash discs. They just didn't come out of the CD player... And yes, my older daughter is that old. Younger one had a "go the fuck to sleep" playlist of the same stuff, plus the likes of Jack Johnson. :fffffuck:

Kids Bop was invented by Satan to torture parents.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:02 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Kid friendly music- I think I wore out all my Bob Marley and Johnny Cash discs. They just didn't come out of the CD player... And yes, my older daughter is that old. Younger one had a "go the fuck to sleep" playlist of the same stuff, plus the likes of Jack Johnson. :fffffuck:

Kids Bop was invented by Satan to torture parents.

Ohhhhh don't get me started on Kidz Bop. My God I want to punch a wall when that noise starts.

Anyway, I'm on a bit of a Pink Floyd kick of late. Really surprises me how quickly that band just disappeared from pop culture. Dark Side of the Moon was in the Billboard Top 100 until the early 2000s, and then, poof, it was like they just went away. Growing up in the 90s they were the default "cool" band alongside Led Zeppelin, but something changed post-2000. Even classic rock stations started to stay away from their stuff. Really strange. I still haven't sat down to listen to their final album, The Endless River. You'd think there'd be a resurgence in prog rock and electronic rock since today's power-pop appears to be very 70s and 80s influenced, but...nope. Not really.

On a side note, I have decided I really don't like AJR.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:41 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_H_X4ekWuQ

Throwback but fucking insane regardless. Gary Willis on fretless bass.

Listen from about 1:20 onwards for a least 1 minute. I don't think I've ever heard anything like it. Deep groove beast. This would give Jaco a run for his money. And check out the drummer kissing the groove behind him. So light. So sweet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:51 pm 
OTPoliceman

Did you know an Italian created Rap 50 years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6YxkSqL20

Hah. Jamaicans were doing Dance Hall style before this but Adriano Celentano made this diddy after noting his fellow Italians were interpreting and singing pop songs in English like this.

Just try to watch this only once. I dare you.

Maybe this song/video will bring Bumpy out of hibernation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:02 am 
Big in Japan

On an REM kick lately. Out of all the rock bands that have accrued a billion ubiquitous hits, they might be the most difficult to peg. Monster-New Adventures-Up is such a bizarre trio of albums by a band that bristled at fame and imploded, and that's after their run as one of the biggest bands in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:55 pm 

E.L. wrote:
On an REM kick lately. Out of all the rock bands that have accrued a billion ubiquitous hits, they might be the most difficult to peg. Monster-New Adventures-Up is such a bizarre trio of albums by a band that bristled at fame and imploded, and that's after their run as one of the biggest bands in the world.

Apart from a handful of songs, I never really could get into them, even though I always kinda admired their ability to do something different.

I still think it's hilarious that they wrote an entire song based off what two whacked-out guys were yelling at Dan Rather when they assaulted him in 1986. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:01 pm 
Big in Japan

https://youtu.be/0KeAAtnIu2A

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:24 pm 

E.L. wrote:
https://youtu.be/0KeAAtnIu2A

Whoa. I should probably take some drugs and try that one again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:31 pm 

https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1 ... 5906019334

Genesis is not formally announcing that they're done but you have to think they're done at this point.

I didn't know this, but apparently Peter Gabriel was in attendance to this, Phil Collins' final appearance as a member of the band (and again, probably the last we'll ever see of Genesis on stage period) but did not join his former bandmates.

Genesis will always hold kind of a weird place in my musical pantheon. Obviously a very talented and hugely influential group, but I feel like the various solo projects these guys embarked on were, for the most part, better than the band was as a whole. Still, they switched from a very complex and ambitious prog rock quintet under Gabriel to a more mainstream rock/pop group under Collins and they never really missed a step. Not many bands can say that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:36 pm 
Big in Japan

I reviewed their Montreal show and said it was probably their last show, and some folk singer from the suburbs yelled at me for two straight days that it was guaranteed their last show and my review was invalid as a result.

My eyes welled when Phil sang Afterglow, not gonna lie. He's a mess but I never doubted his sincerity in trying to give a good show. And the other guys are freakishly ageless.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:15 pm 

Goddammit, Imagine Dragons came out with a song I actually like beyond the usual "it's catchy" level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYed5wh ... ragonsVEVO

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:37 pm 

Most people think of Martin Gore and Dave Gahan when the name "Depeche Mode" comes up but they should also acknowledge the name Andrew Fletcher, who was a founding member, keyboardist, and bassist for the group.

Sadly passed away at 60 today. In memoriam, here's IMO their best tune from their ultimate album, Violator:

My very first concert was Depeche Mode at McNichols Arena in Denver 1992ish I believe. Wait, no, it was November 1993 because I remember Martin Gore got arrested for playing his music too loud in the hotel after the concert. The article about that is still up. :lol:

Sad news though.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:02 pm 
OTP Historian

Alan White, longtime drummer of Yes, passed away at 72 as well :(

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 2:38 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
Alan White, longtime drummer of Yes, passed away at 72 as well :(

Anyone who played drums on Imagine/Instant Karma and a sampler on Owner of a Lonely Heart is ok in my books.

Fletch was young. Depeche Mode probably had 2-3 more tours in them and now I don't see Dave and Martin bothering anymore. Huge loss for music.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next