OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Concerts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:37 am 
Big in Japan

The Hip last night. What an emotional, amazing night.

Really hit home that Gord is dying, though. Reminded me of Jack Layton working the campaign and putting on a brave face even though he was sick.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:24 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

Really hit home that Gord is dying, though. Reminded me of Jack Layton working the campaign and putting on a brave face even though he was sick.

Yup. I'm so glad that I was able to get tickets for the Toronto show and finally see them live.

Springtime in Vienna is such a live tune. It never really stood out to me that much on Trouble at the Henhouse but the Live Between Us version was fantastic. I'm glad that I got to see that live. We both got the same full 4-song set from Henhouse. We both got the same Phantom Power encore, too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:04 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Taking the whole family to see Frank Turner on Saturday, with Chuck Ragan opening. Well, then Flogging Molly are the headliners, but we're not sticking around for that crap. It'll be Miss18.2's first show. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:03 am 
OTP Clown

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Yup. I'm so glad that I was able to get tickets for the Toronto show and finally see them live.

Springtime in Vienna is such a live tune. It never really stood out to me that much on Trouble at the Henhouse but the Live Between Us version was fantastic. I'm glad that I got to see that live. We both got the same full 4-song set from Henhouse. We both got the same Phantom Power encore, too.

One big regret was never seeing them since the very early 90's...

Told Laura we'd go see them in a 3000 soft seat room in NYC or Boston or something.

Was waiting for the equivelant of a Massey Hall show with them.

Was blocking out this whole tour for fairly obvious reasons.

Heard Bobcagen on the Ceeb just before going surfing today.

Lost it completely, bawling in the car.

Listened to the Hip all day today.

Cried for hours.

Might not be able to listen to the live stream tomorrow.

It just reminds me of so much.

Not just Laura, but the whole of my adult musically conscious life - from 16 onward, I grew up and they were always there. And growing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:27 am 
Big in Japan

Ended up driving to Kingston on Saturday to watch the final Hip show on a big screen at Springer Street Market. About 30,000 people there.

The town was welcoming and friendly. The event was really well organized. The mood was cheery and a little bittersweet. Someone stopped me on the street to say he recognized me from the Ottawa show. The bars were at capacity, but no one was rude or mad about it. I missed Trudeau by about five minutes. People sang and cried. Strangers struck up conversations with each other. Everyone was there for the same reason, which was really cool.

I don't know if I'll be able to listen to Grace, Too the same way ever again. What a moment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:15 pm 
OTP Clown

I had to work on Saturday night.

Drove home to the cottage listening to the concert.

Couldn't drive.

Sat by the beach with the windows open, under the stars, listening to the music and the waves, crying, and watching the stars reveal themselves.

Grace Too?

wow.

Primal grief.

And we got to be a part of it.

So grateful.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 am 
OTP Historian

Matt Good is playing the entire Beautiful Midnight album in full in a series of concerts across Canada late Feb/early March. I'd go to that, but its only weeks after kid #2 is due...

Third Eye Blind is playing their full self-title June 28th in Toronto apparently. That's 100% a show that I'd go see. We'll see if I can swing that one...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:27 am 
Big in Japan

Saw Bryan Ferry last night. 90% of the songs he played were Roxy Music: More Than This, Virginia Plain, Love is the Drug, Editions of You, Beauty Queen, Remake Remodel, If There's Something, bunch of stuff from Avalon and my personal fave Out of the Blue. Dude's 71 and his voice has some wear on it, but still an awesome night with a living legend.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:36 pm 
Queen of the Random Thought

STEEL PANTHER ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!! :Butch:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:37 am 
King of the One-Liner

PattyLa16 wrote:

Van load of my hockey pals will be there. Something about a mini van full of 40 something dad's going to a Steel panther show that seems so right.

Going to see Morgan James in Burlington next Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:58 am 
King of Men

Was sitting around on Friday night listening to the Tea Party and said WTF.....so me and the missus flew out to LA the next morning and saw them at the Roxy on Saturday night before they went back to Australia (its good not having young kids!).

Roxy was a super tiny venue and people were wasted tripping all over each other (doesn't help the floor is uneven) so the first Transmission set was good but a lot of distractions. The 2nd set was better...people cleared out and they played some earlier tunes. Apparently they did a 2nd encore but the Lyft guy was already there so we had to go. The whole band is amazing and I am glad I went to see them. LA is still a shit hole. I laughed when I saw the Whiskey a Go Go on the corner and said shit.....looks just like Grand Theft Auto!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:00 am 
King of Men

PattyLa16 wrote:

Asian Hooker!!!!! How was this?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:06 pm 
Queen of the Random Thought

This Wednesday the 12th. It'll be my second time seeing them. They opened for Judas Priest a few years ago. It's a good time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:19 pm 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

wouldn't mind checking out The Jesus And Mary Chain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:43 am 
Big in Japan

farang wrote:

I saw them at Osheaga in Montreal a few years back and actress Jessica Pare and her husband (former lead singer of Montreal band The Doughboys), sang backing vocals for them. Anyways, they sounded fucking great.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:31 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
farang wrote:

I saw them at Osheaga in Montreal a few years back and actress Jessica Pare and her husband (former lead singer of Montreal band The Doughboys), sang backing vocals for them. Anyways, they sounded fucking great.

!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:35 am 
King of Men

Saw Roger Waters tonight for the 2nd time. Truly the best concerts I have ever seen. Never thought I would get to hear Floyd at any level at my age. Could do without some of this politically themed crap but its to be expected. Still great and rockin at his grandpa age. Old people come unglued when they get a night out over 40!

$11 for a beer is ridiculous!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:53 am 
King of Men

I am bringing some serious grade ear plugs to the Metallica/Volbeat/A7X concert tonight.......must mean I am old. $11 beers here I come!

I have also committed to leaving early....because who the fuck wants to hear Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman?......oh everyone else but me I guess! Good! Means I beat the traffic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:35 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

harmfuljays wrote:
I am bringing some serious grade ear plugs to the Metallica/Volbeat/A7X concert tonight.......must mean I am old. $11 beers here I come!

I have also committed to leaving early....because who the fuck wants to hear Nothing Else Matters and Enter Sandman?......oh everyone else but me I guess! Good! Means I beat the traffic.

The Metallica show I saw God knows when at the Pepsi Center had some really early stuff as the finale, I believe it was off Kill 'em All. I'd be pretty shocked if they truly ended it with stuff off the Black Album. If they do then they truly don't give a fuck anymore. I don't blame you for wanting to beat traffic at The Can, but I'm guessing you'll be hearing that stuff much earlier in the show. Come to think of it I don't think they played Nothing Else Matters at all.

It's been quite the metal flashback for me these past few weeks. First with a Winger/Kansas show in Omaha (and yes, I know Kansas ain't metal). We left before Kansas finished since they had already done two of the only three songs I know by them. As for Winger, Kip's still got it. I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks, Winger ruled and still does. Kansas is definitely one of those bands that needs to hang 'em up. Most of their lineup from their "prime" is retired, and the few guys left look like they were scooped up from the nursing home prior to the show. The lead guitarist looked like he was gonna keel over during his set several times.

Later in the month we saw Tesla/Poison/Def Leppard, and while my least favorite of the three is Poison, they were the ones who put on the best show. Apparently Bret Michaels has Nebraska roots (still has family here) and so he was pretty enthusiastic about playing in front of a "hometown" crowd. And the other two bands were by no means bad, they just didn't have the energy Poison did. Def Leppard's set was good. Joe Elliott, despite looking very old, can still wail with the best of them, and it's hilarious to see Phil Collen all ripped when he was an alcoholic twig back in the band's heyday. They announced this was their 40th anniversary, so I can take solace in the fact that I was born the same year as Def Leppard and Star Wars.

Gah...I'm old.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:47 pm 
King of Men

This is the setlist from their last show a few days ago.....

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica ... 70721.html

The old girl and I weren't very impressed with this.....NO CREEPING DEATH....but I am there to see A7X anyway.

I've seen Metallica at least 10 times now so its no big deal.

I saw Def Leppard last year and they weren't good. I've seen Tesla a few times in the past few years and they have always been ok.

I always used to bitch about the people that leave early but now I am one of them primarily because I can't wait in a parking lot to get out for 30 minutes while I have to pee. But ironically I started leaving early when I was on my hiatus. I don't like dealing with the crowds....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next