OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Surfing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:12 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Years ago I'd hang out in a specific surf/skate shop. The owners were this super cool older couple. He was one of the first east coast surfers, making his first few boards out of plywood. He had awesome stories. He and his wife have both passed away in the last few years and their son runs the shop now with his son. I told my wife about going in there one day when skateboards started going to the "popsicle stick" decks and how much I hated them. The shop had piles of decks you'd go through that were stored underneath the t-shirt racks. There'd be hidden piles you'd find by accident under there. Being short I had an advantage there... I found a Lance Mountain deck that was a few years old but still in shrink wrap. I grabbed it and told the guy I had my new deck. He grabbed my arm all seriously (he was usually very funny) and said "whatever you do, don't skate that. Don't even mount it! It's already a collector's item and if you hold onto it a few years it'll be worth a shitload. I told him I had every intention of skating it and bought it. He kept shaking his head at me. Well, I never skated it. I paid $55 for it about 30 years ago and kept it all that time. Last year I sold it for $650. Of course, now that same deck is going for over $1k, but I still made out pretty well on it. So I told that story to my wife and she told me told me to see if I could still get the WRV board, since I'd basically be spending back the money I made on the Mountain deck. Called and it's still there. Buying it tomorrow over the phone and figuring out a time to get down there and pick it up (and of course, try it out!) :viking:

So this beauty is all mine. Just need to go pick it up! And then make time to hit the waves...
https://www.brightonbeachsurfshop.com/store/p2839/WRV_Noserider_9%270%22.html

And I'm pretty psyched because it has 2 small repairs, so I don't have the stress of putting the first dings in it. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:03 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Damn, that's old-school.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:28 pm 

:lol: Yeah it is. But surfing was almost killed off starting in the 80s by the trend of short boards. My brother was convinced he had to have a really short board, like (whoever was the big name surfer at the time). He couldn't catch a single wave on it. Surfboards need volume to float heavier and/or lesser skilled surfers. Great surfers can move quickly on a smaller board. Us weekend warriors, especially carrying lots of extra weight, need the volume to keep us on top of the water. Short story- my brother quit surfing entirely.

I'm going to store my board at my parents' house. But for times he visits, I'm going to remove the fins and lock them away. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:13 am 
OTP Clown

Chris18 wrote:
:lol: Yeah it is. But surfing was almost killed off starting in the 80s by the trend of short boards. My brother was convinced he had to have a really short board, like (whoever was the big name surfer at the time). He couldn't catch a single wave on it. Surfboards need volume to float heavier and/or lesser skilled surfers. Great surfers can move quickly on a smaller board. Us weekend warriors, especially carrying lots of extra weight, need the volume to keep us on top of the water. Short story- my brother quit surfing entirely.

I'm going to store my board at my parents' house. But for times he visits, I'm going to remove the fins and lock them away. :twisted:

I love my longboard(s)

I'm thinking of getting rid of all the boards that I have that are under 7 foot. I don't get out enough and my paddle power is dropping.

I'm super stoked that you're surfing again.

Those potato chip boards really kill surfing.

And locking up the fins?

Deadly.

Love it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:57 am 

I'm pretty proud of locking up the fins. :lol: My brother is such a dick he'll probably think I'm too dumb to know I need fins and buy a set so he can use the board, then he'll bring the fins home with him.

I've never heard the phrase potato chip boards. :lol:

Semi-related: covid fucked my sense of smell up. I LOVE the smells of various surf waxes. I still smell the actual waxes pretty accurately but I got some Sex Wax air fresheners for my car and they smell WAY off. They just smell like chemicals. :cry: I might leave a bar of wax in a black cup on my dashboard so it melts all summer and smells nice. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:00 am 
OTP Clown

I have a cup holder filled with melted sex wax. The whole car smells great because of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:02 am 
OTP Clown

And potato chip boards? Way too thin way too much rocker. Totally unsurfable. I like my boards like I like my ladies flat and fat and fast.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:36 pm 

Stinky wrote:
I have a cup holder filled with melted sex wax. The whole car smells great because of it.

That's exactly what I think I'm going to do. My Sex Wax air freshener just smells like... cleaning chemicals? Weird.

Stinky wrote:
And potato chip boards? Way too thin way too much rocker. Totally unsurfable. I like my boards like I like my ladies flat and fat and fast.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:35 pm 

I made it into the waves today. 2-3'. Didn't do that well but it was fun anyway. Heading back out in the morning.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:39 am 
OTP Clown

Get on it!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:52 am 

Stinky wrote:
Get on it!

Trying but I paddle like a fat man with T-Rex arms. :lol: :x :lol: