OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Surfing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:21 pm 
OTP Clown

Teahupoo is a freak of nature. Terrifying.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:17 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Apparently Avs defenseman Kyle Quincey has a surfing company:

http://www.boardworkssurfcanada.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:09 pm 
No Longer Croozin'

Av-merican wrote:

How is the surfing in Colorado?? :cheers: ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:17 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Tuzer wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

How is the surfing in Colorado?? :cheers: ;)

Not bad by the looks, just different.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:27 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

I know this guy, he is a good friend of one of my good friends. He got arrested for surfing in Chicago last month. He is a very mellow, harmless guy and apparently when they arrested him they cuffed him roughly and made him sit 3 hours in a cell in his freezing wetsuit. It's been all over the news ever since, Kelly Slater even twittered about it. He got off with 20 hours community service.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/rex-flodstrom-oak-street-beach-surfer-arrested-open-lake-community-service-20120217

Last edited by hammer on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:29 pm 
OTP Clown

Lake surfers have been talking about this one lots. I don't understand why Chi-tow oinkers are such fucking douchebags about surfing.

There are no criminals in Chicago so they have time to arrest surfers?

It must be a really nice, crime free place then...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:04 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Stinky wrote:
Lake surfers have been talking about this one lots. I don't understand why Chi-tow oinkers are such fucking douchebags about surfing.

I know, how ridiculous is this? I guess the cops are trying to make the case they wasted time and energy trying to save him but that's their problem, it is highly likely that anybody committed enough to be out surfing in a lake in the middle of winter knows their limits and is capable of accepting the risk.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:34 pm 
OTP Clown

hammer wrote:
Stinky wrote:

I know, how ridiculous is this? I guess the cops are trying to make the case they wasted time and energy trying to save him but that's their problem, it is highly likely that anybody committed enough to be out surfing in a lake in the middle of winter knows their limits and is capable of accepting the risk.

Bingo.

You don't have to be nuts to be a lake surfer in the winter. You need to know what you're doing, be fairly strong, know your limits AND have a 6/5/4 mil wetsuit, 8 mil boots and 5 - 7 mil mits. The gear makes the impossible possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:53 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Picked up my first new board in roughly 5 years this weekend, wanted something better suited to our small and sloppy summer conditions rather than trying to grind it out on my regular shortboard.

6'4" x 21 x 2 3/4". Paddles great and gets into any wave but more shortboard than fish. Took it out in really crappy 2'-4' surf and had a good time, caught dozens of rides and had a few fun ones. I would have been lucky to catch 2 or 3 on my regular shortboard and this was a huge upgrade over what I'd been using as my slop board. Bad waves are bad waves but nice to get some enjoyment out of them, great way to stay in shape all summer too rather than waiting for decent waves and not surfing for weeks. Looking forward to see how it goes in some better surf.

Can set it up as a thruster or a quad, haven't tried it as a quad yet but ordered a set of quad fins, looking forward to seeing how that goes. I've never owned a quad and only surfed one maybe once.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 am 
OTP Clown

That's a nice new ride Hammer. I'm in Nova Scotia and have been surfing 12 of the last 16 days. It's been anywhere from 2 - 5 feet and summer sloppy. I've mostly been logging it. I've even been trying reverse take offs on the smaller days. Surfing mostly at dawn with no one else out has allowed me to go without a leash on the smaller days. Having spent most of the winter watching Joel Tudor videos, these conditions are well suited to me.

My cousin and I are shaping away. I'm making a mini simmons. 23" wide, 6' long and 3" thick, hull up front, concave in the rear and the distinctive simmons 's' deck, 18" at the nose and tail. It I should have tonnes of fun rides on this new, little bar of soap. We're glassing them this week. It's going to have twin keels glassed on that I foiled myself...

It's nice to have the time to do this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:36 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Some very legit surf in SF past couple of weeks! Last week was 6-8' with some bigger sets, nice conditions made the size very manageable. Had a great couple days, including what was probably my best wave of 2012 to date: a nice, super-long, very workable, 8' - 9' peeler.

This weekend just past was good, particularly Saturday which was great: 3-5 with some head high+ sets coming through, great weather and light crowds. Used my summer board (pictured above) and was very happy to see how well it handled in legit surf. It flys and handled some steep drops no problem. Sep-November is the peak of our surf season out here and after a slow start to september it is now going great!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:46 pm 
OTP Clown

Today was sick. My part of the lake was hitting 9'+ on the buoys and the set waves were jacking up big time. My regular surf spots were all wash outs. Luckily a spot deep inside a cove was working quite nicely and only had the bigger set waves making their way in. Sadly it was a 4 - 500 meter paddle to get to where things were set up nicely. There were no currents and the winds were smaller there so the faces were beautiful.

I was using the new cheater board that I built. It's bulky, wide fun shape that just goes like crazy. 7' 24" wide 3.6" thick. Thruster set-up for fins. I KNOW IT'S A FUCKING BOAT! First time I had it out and I was competing for waves with the SUP dude. My buddy was riding a fish and getting his share too. With a three person line up there are lots of waves for everyone.

This board though... what a blast. It has the volume and stability of a log - easy pop ups, but it's a full 2' shorter. I'd catch waves, get trimming along the top, then push down on my front foot and hit warp speed blasting down the face. Loved how I could just hang out slow at the top then with a twitch just decide to take off down the face. Unlike my log however with it's single fin drop kneed turning process, this little thruster jobby let me cut back towards the pocket without much problem. Given the size I wasn't slashing my any means - I'm much more of a glider anyway - but I was carving back then working the wave again. Such easy wave catching and so much control. Now these wer 8' crumbling mountains of fun and were not steep by any standard but woohoo! I said that a lot today. woohoo!

Had a couple of epic rides on some long peelers. Loved every second.

Water 4 degrees.

Air -5.

Had a really long paddle back into the wind when I could barely see due to the icicles on my hood and in my eyebrows.

Hope the warm waters of California are kind these days Hammer!

edit:

One final note. When your ride is 2' wide and over 3.5" thick, the fucking thing doesn't fit under your arm! It's a hell of a walk - about 750 meters from the car to the break... hell of a walk with a board that fucking wide and heavy!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:14 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Man that sounds awesome (except for the 4 degree water, hood icicles and hike with such a heavy board!). I love big mushy waves. To surf 8 footers on a lake would be quite an experience, I really hope I get to do that some day. Your board sounds like a lot of fun to ride (but now to carry!).

Surf here lately has been solid. This past week was unsurfable due to some storms that came through: 20+ foot waves with rough conditions (aka 'victory at sea'), serious winds and sets up to 30', even the normally sheltered spots were tough. Before that though we had a long run of good surf and I had many great days in November, getting out 2-3x a week. It was also really warm here this past month so I had a several days with head-high+ waves in 65 degree sunny weather, pretty awesome for November!

I decided I need a new step-up board for when it gets over 8 feet and my regular shortboard doesn't cut it for me, need more foam to paddle around and catch the big ones. I had been using a 6'10x19.75x2.75 as a step-up but it's not working for me anymore probably due to age and weight and I'm just not as comfortable in the big stuff anymore due to surfing less because of kids, etc. I was looking at a 7'2 x 21 x 3 round tail, will post pics if I get it. Should help getting into the big ones earlier and make paddling out and dealing with currents easier. Then I'd have a complete quiver in 3 boards: 6'4" for slop, 6'8" for good waves and 7'2" for when it gets big.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:12 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Still waiting on regular income to come in before I go out here. This fact blows.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:36 pm 
OTP Clown

I love the thickness of the boards you have and the one you're discussing. I'd love to see pictures should you get a new one.

I've been building my own due to a surplus of time and a deficit of funds. I can get a ride in the water for less than 200 bucks. Less than a hundred if I build my own blank. So far I've made 6. I'm starting to make them as barter items - one for my tattoo artist in exchange for some ink. One for a composer for some music for one of my kids shows. One for a web / graphics guy etc. I owe 2 boards and have a couple of more orders for stuff.

My shaping is ok, glassing mediocre but people like how my boards ride in the lake.

I'll post a couple of pictures soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:33 pm 
OTP Clown

Home:

http://www.sbcsurf.com/video_display/vi ... Coast-Romp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:37 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Stinky wrote:

that was awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:52 pm 
OTP Clown

The series of tubes at the end are going off on a serious slab about 10 minutes from my cottage. It's fucking gnarly if you don't make it - shallow, solid bedrock. Boom.

On a day like that I go to a bit of a cobblestone reef about 1/2 way up one of the inlets near there for some more gentle rollers. That slab is a nasty piece of work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:50 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Weekend forecast for my local beach, sounds pretty nice 4-5', no wind. Definitely paddling out tomorrow but have a xmas party saturday night that should be a ripper so will be too hungover to surf on sunday.

Saturday
12/8 Down some N 5+ early Combo local and Gulf windswell 5.0 ft @ 10 secs 5.0 ft 310 degrees

Sunday
12/9 Up some N 10 early Combo local and Gulf windswell building to 6.5 ft @ 10 secs 6.5 ft 310 degree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:46 am 
OTP Clown

Those are beautiful conditions!

I need to get away from these lakes. They are fun, but when we move back to Nova Scotia, I'll surf more consistently.

Nice spread of Lawerance town reef and left point in this month's Surfer's Journal...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next