OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:35 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

E.L. wrote:
So I was partying in Bushwick this past weekend, and I stumbled across this highly unusual concoction:

http://21st-amendment.com/beers/hell-or ... atermelon/

Is it the real deal or just a gimmick? Mix of both, it's more a nice, light wheat beer with a hint of watermelon. Went well with tacos.

I was at the 21st amendment pub that you link to a couple months ago they had this on tap and it appeared to be very popular, I was there I was surprised to see how many people were drinking it especially guys. I also remember somebody brought a 6er of it to my house a few years ago so it must have been around for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:17 pm 
Big in Japan

hammer wrote:
E.L. wrote:
So I was partying in Bushwick this past weekend, and I stumbled across this highly unusual concoction:

Is it the real deal or just a gimmick? Mix of both, it's more a nice, light wheat beer with a hint of watermelon. Went well with tacos.

I was at the 21st amendment pub that you link to a couple months ago they had this on tap and it appeared to be very popular, I was there I was surprised to see how many people were drinking it especially guys. I also remember somebody brought a 6er of it to my house a few years ago so it must have been around for a while.

The McAuslan brewery in Montreal makes apricot and (seasonal) raspberry beers. I really enjoy the former. In terms of manliness, I mostly stay away from fruity mixed drinks, but when it comes to beer, as long as they're not too sweet they're fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:33 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
hammer wrote:
E.L. wrote:

The McAuslan brewery in Montreal makes apricot and (seasonal) raspberry beers. I really enjoy the former. In terms of manliness, I mostly stay away from fruity mixed drinks, but when it comes to beer, as long as they're not too sweet they're fine.

That Apricot Wheat is really good.

Kawartha Lakes Brewery makes a nice Raspberry Wheat.

Was out with some friends yesterday and someone ordered a Watermelon beer. It was pretty good and the watermelon flavour was certainly there.

This was not very good:

This was tasty, albeit expensive($9) and no longer available unless you find an LCBO with stock left:

This was really good:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:56 am 
King of Men

I had forgotten how bad this beer was. Its a mountain man's beer and I hadn't had it since I was in Sitka. Picked some up in Leadville the other week when I saw it.

Still some in the fridge....blah!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Even though I like fruit ciders, I'm not a fan of flavored beers -- I guess for the same reason I dislike sugar in coffee (adding sweet to bitter just seems like a war of flavors rather than something complementary).

That said, the watermelon one would intrigue me enough to give it a try.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:21 pm 
OTP Historian

I tried one of these and I wasn't a huge fan. Raspberry seems to be a sweet spot for me in terms of fruity beers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:10 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
No enjoy it, just saying that if you have to much or even just use it as a capper to having to much that very distinct flavour stays with you for a few days and it is an odd experience. Burrrp.

Could just be me.

A few weeks ago I ended up drinking some normal I&G after drinking some other beers. It was odd. Not sure how else to describe it. It tasted kind of sweet after drinking other stuff, sweeter than as if you had just had a single pint.

I tried the I&G Scottish Pale Ale, it was pretty damn sweet-tasting too.

The Cherrywood Finish one is decent, but I wouldn't buy it again at $5 a bottle.

Finally got around to drinking the Spiced Rum Cask. That was really good, probably the best(I tried one a couple of years ago, I think it was the Irish Whiskey one but I'm not completely sure.) I&G I've had.

This stuff is really good. Wellington makes great beer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Started playing with Home brewing this past weekend. Went out and got myself one of these kits that comes with the Carboy, airlock, hydrometer, bottling bucket, etc. Went with a Belgium Saison kit and went to work steeping the grains and boiling in the malt and hops and really enjoyed the process. Tonight was four days of fermentation and the alcohol level is already at 5.1% and it taste like a Saison already, moved it to secondary fermentation and I'm actually a bit thrilled that it is working out pretty good thus far. Figure in about two weeks I will have drinkable beer and with a little luck in about three to four I will have some really good beer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:18 am 
OTP Historian

Picked up a couple of these and they were pretty good:

Tried a couple of these as well. Everybody is going for hoppy lately. Kind of annoying. I'm not a fan of really hoppy beer. Some Cream Ales have some hoppiness to it, but its not overpowering at all like so many breweries are doing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:22 am 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Bosc, the Ontario Beer Store has a 12-pack "mingler" of the Granville Islands, which I highly recommend (more than the white beer).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:01 pm 
OTP Historian

Jyrki21 wrote:
Bosc, the Ontario Beer Store has a 12-pack "mingler" of the Granville Islands, which I highly recommend (more than the white beer).

Yeah I've seen it. May have to check it out later on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:47 am 
OTP Historian

Captain Chaos wrote:
So this past winter I've been enjoying:

Shock Top - Belgian White

Had one of these at the Jays game last night. Good beer. I've always liked Hoegaarden among other wheat beers. I haven't drank Hoe for a long time, though.

Wellington Arkell Best Bitter was good.

I&G looks like they've released the Spiced Rum Finish as a normal seller now at $3.25, not just a $5 boxed beer. Nice. I picked up a couple so I'll have to see if there's any difference.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:23 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Hounsy wrote:
Started playing with Home brewing this past weekend. Went out and got myself one of these kits that comes with the Carboy, airlock, hydrometer, bottling bucket, etc. Went with a Belgium Saison kit and went to work steeping the grains and boiling in the malt and hops and really enjoyed the process. Tonight was four days of fermentation and the alcohol level is already at 5.1% and it taste like a Saison already, moved it to secondary fermentation and I'm actually a bit thrilled that it is working out pretty good thus far. Figure in about two weeks I will have drinkable beer and with a little luck in about three to four I will have some really good beer.

So to update on this. The beer was bottled last Saturday after using some gelatin and cold crashed to help clarify. Bottled a couple of small bottles to test carbonation along the way and will crack one of those tomorrow to make sure it is not going nuts in the sealed bottles(BOOM!) What is impressive is the clarity as I was thinking with home brewing you'd end up with cloudiness and looking through the brown bottle it doesn't appear cloudy at all will be curious to see when poured in a glass. Going to go today and get an ingredient kit for my second batch this afternoon. Beer should be properly carbonated next weekend if all goes well and decent to drink and then in a month or two of conditioning should be really good...fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:17 pm 
OTP Historian

Funny...just found this picture online and it is the same three beers that I just picked up.

I've tried the Black Creek and the Highball so far. I was a bigger fan of the Highball.

Pumpkin Whiskey?

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/i ... ber=353334

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:55 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Not a fan of the Great lakes or Black Creek for pumpkin ale as they where too heavy on the spice and light on the pumpkin, had some from a local brewer(Taps) on Monday out of a growler a friend brought to hockey to share around and it was fantastic hint of spice and very noticeable punkin taste which goes great with the malt flavour for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:14 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Not a fan of the Great lakes or Black Creek for pumpkin ale as they where too heavy on the spice and light on the pumpkin, had some from a local brewer(Taps) on Monday out of a growler a friend brought to hockey to share around and it was fantastic hint of spice and very noticeable punkin taste which goes great with the malt flavour for me.

I had a Great Lakes Orange Peel Ale and found it too light on the Orange too, it was barely there.

The Highball I found had a little more of a darker ale taste to it and seeing as how I've been into the dark beers lately, I liked it better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:39 pm 
King of Men

Left Hand Brewery Milk Stout Nitro

i have a new favorite beer and normally I don't like stouts.....this is dreamy, creamy and surprisingly smooth.

$10 a sixer

http://www.heavemedia.com/2013/05/15/th ... out-nitro/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:42 pm 
OTP Historian

The Tom Green Beer from Beau's. Milk stout. Nice beer. Would and did buy again.

Muskoka Winter Beard - 750mL 8% 2012 Vintage Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout. $14 ouch. Nice beer but expensive. I will continue to buy the $3.50 500mL Young's double chocolate stout instead. The Muskoka is good if you want to drink a nice expensive beer to get shitfaced quickly. Maybe I will buy one more.

Vanilla Porter from Mill Street is pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:31 pm 
King of the One-Liner

For the Ontario based beer tasters of OTP.

LCBO winter release

LCBO# / Product name / Size / Retail
361188 / Buxton Imperial Black IPA / 500 / $5.50
354803 / Sigutna Midvinterblot / 330 / $3.60
92791 / La Trappe Quadrupel / 750 / $7.25
343913 / Hornbeer Black Magic Woman Imp Stout / 500 / $7.05
288746 / Les Trois Mousquetaires Weizenbock / 750 / $9.25
97469 / Schloss Eggenberg Samichlaus / 330 / $4.25
173658 / Garrison Imperial IPA / 500 / $4.25
348656 / Liefmans Goudenband / 750 / $8.75
353896 / Howe Sound Woolly Bugger Barley Wine / 375 / $5.95
6569 / Rochefort 10 / 330 / $3.60
343939 / Nøgne Ø Sunturnbrew / 500 / $8.25
354829 / Renaissance Tribute Barley Wine / 330 / $9.95
343947 / Gulden Draak 9000 Quadruple / 330 / $3.25

Founders Feature:

354787 / Founders Breakfast Stout / 6 x355 / $15.20
353938 / Founders Porter / 6 x355 / $13.50
353946 / Founders Dry Hopped Pale Ale / 6 x355 / $13.50
353953 / Founders Dirty Bastard / 6 x355 / $13.50
353961 / Founders Backwoods Bastard / 4 x 355 / $12.00

Some of that Rochefort better make it to the Niagara Region, at the least will settle for some Gulden Draak. Either way both are on my list of beers I want to try with my Belgium beer style obsession. Will also try some of the Founders stuff as it is certainly raved about.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:41 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
For the Ontario based beer tasters of OTP.

LCBO winter release

361188 / Buxton Imperial Black IPA / 500 / $5.50
354803 / Sigutna Midvinterblot / 330 / $3.60
92791 / La Trappe Quadrupel / 750 / $7.25
343913 / Hornbeer Black Magic Woman Imp Stout / 500 / $7.05
288746 / Les Trois Mousquetaires Weizenbock / 750 / $9.25
97469 / Schloss Eggenberg Samichlaus / 330 / $4.25
173658 / Garrison Imperial IPA / 500 / $4.25
348656 / Liefmans Goudenband / 750 / $8.75
353896 / Howe Sound Woolly Bugger Barley Wine / 375 / $5.95
6569 / Rochefort 10 / 330 / $3.60
343939 / Nøgne Ø Sunturnbrew / 500 / $8.25
354829 / Renaissance Tribute Barley Wine / 330 / $9.95
343947 / Gulden Draak 9000 Quadruple / 330 / $3.25

Founders Feature:

354787 / Founders Breakfast Stout / 6 x355 / $15.20
353938 / Founders Porter / 6 x355 / $13.50
353946 / Founders Dry Hopped Pale Ale / 6 x355 / $13.50
353953 / Founders Dirty Bastard / 6 x355 / $13.50
353961 / Founders Backwoods Bastard / 4 x 355 / $12.00

Some of that Rochefort better make it to the Niagara Region, at the least will settle for some Gulden Draak. Either way both are on my list of beers I want to try with my Belgium beer style obsession. Will also try some of the Founders stuff as it is certainly raved about.

I might want to try some of the founders stuff, but the LCBO site doesn't even show it. Hounsy, I can pick up some of that Rochefort 10 if it is nowhere in the Niagara region and we can figure out some way to get it to you.

I was in Don Simmons last weekend...the store was looking pretty sparse compared to normal.

My Rum collection is growing in anticipation of finishing the basement and hopefully an eventual bar. Had a couple of nice scores last month, and will be picking up some St. Nicholas Abbey 10 and 15 year old while in Barbados next week. Do we have any other rum drinkers on here?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next