OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:44 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Pretty rare to see the one-off and rare wellingtons around these parts so have not had them.

Grolsh (sp?) is the only flip top bottle I have encountered myself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:57 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Pretty rare to see the one-off and rare wellingtons around these parts so have not had them.

The Imperial Russian Stout is a standard Welly brew, looks like it doesn't get out to where you are(closest seems to be Cayuga). The Sputnik was the One-off barrel aged version. They didn't have any left in the cooler when I was at their store, unfortunately.

I know they've been releasing a couple of the One-offs into the LCBO, I think the Chocolate Milk Stout and the Frost Quake being the only two so far.

Have you already tried the Grand River Russian?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:56 pm 
OTP Historian

I will be picking up a couple of these. I wasn't too impressed by the Mill Street Vanilla Porter.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/french ... OJ1EPnF9yM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Was gifted a bottle of Beau's Mission Accomplished American IPA. A bit too thick and bitter for my tastes. A glass was nice, but by the second glass my tastebuds were a bit fatigued.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:28 pm 
King of the One-Liner

E.L. wrote:
Was gifted a bottle of Beau's Mission Accomplished American IPA. A bit too thick and bitter for my tastes. A glass was nice, but by the second glass my tastebuds were a bit fatigued.

It may have been old. Have not had that brew as in general I do not care for IPA's as Hops are not my thing and when it is not fresh it can have a horrid chemical taste. That said a fresh well balanced IPA one can be impressive you rarely run into them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Hounsy wrote:
E.L. wrote:

It may have been old. Have not had that brew as in general I do not care for IPA's as Hops are not my thing and when it is not fresh it can have a horrid chemical taste. That said a fresh well balanced IPA one can be impressive you rarely run into them.

The beer is described by Beau's as having an assertive bitterness and bold hop aroma. Just too much of both, really.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:10 pm 
OTP Historian

I've had some amazing beers from Beau's but I've had a few that I wouldn't buy again as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:45 pm 
OTP Historian

Haul from the ellseebeeoh today(the flying monkeys chocolate manifesto, kentucky bastard and rochefortes in the back were already there). That's the first time I've ever seen that Innis and Gunn lager, and it was the only one I saw in the store.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:08 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Nice haul. Have not had the Flying Monkey one or the Dark and Handsome, come to think of it though I have a couple still have not tried the Midtfyns spicey one yet.

Have a Rochefort 10, Westmalle, and Delirium Tremens out of the cellar and warming up for tonight. My wife wants to watch the last Hunger Games movie so suspect I will go through all three.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:20 pm 
OTP Historian

Have some people visiting this weekend so I decided to pick up a growler from the nanobrewery that a couple of guys in town opened up. I bought their first seasonal, the Gally Stout. Expensive due to the growler deposit but cheaper later. Also tried their Rattle 'n' Nemo(just realized it must be named after Rattlesnake Point and Mount Nemo, two spots on the escarpment), an Irish Red Ale that was good.

http://orangesnailbrewers.wix.com/craft

Hounsy, have you bought and filled any growlers? Apparently it's against rules or law or something for a brewery to fill a growler from a different place but some places will do it anyways.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:08 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I have a Silversmith growler that I have refilled a few times but never taken it anywhere else. Buddy of mine though works at a brewery/bar/restaurant that does growlers so will see if you where getting ripped off.

the response I got:

"according to the new laws if it has a clear label on it it isn't legal, it is supposed to be filled at that site only"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:41 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
I have a Silversmith growler that I have refilled a few times but never taken it anywhere else. Buddy of mine though works at a brewery/bar/restaurant that does growlers so will see if you where getting ripped off.

the response I got:

"according to the new laws if it has a clear label on it it isn't legal, it is supposed to be filled at that site only"

This is the first growler that I have so I didn't try to get them to fill one up from a different place and get rejected. I remember doing a brewery winery tour and the brew pub in Niagara(can't remember the name) said places will often fill up growlers from other breweries. This was this past summer so not sure how new that law is.

Their stout is really good. Mild at 4.2%. Smokey.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:21 pm 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

Hounsy wrote:

Howe Sound Brewing from out here has them and their sold in The States so I'd imagine they would be sold there. They're 1L though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:25 pm 
Chaser, Wearer of Skirts

Fischer also carry flip tops.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:54 pm 
King of the One-Liner

farang wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

Howe Sound Brewing from out here has them and their sold in The States so I'd imagine they would be sold there. They're 1L though.

Cans of Howe Sound lager is all that makes it to Ontario and even that was only just in the last few months.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:19 am 
Big in Japan

Slowly but surely Beau's is making its way into Quebec convenient stores and bars. Had a Lug Tread bottle at one bar and a Strong Patrick on tap at another.

These are good days.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:38 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc if any of your local LCBO have the Aventinus Eisbock grab a few, just fantastic brew if you like the sweet and sticky stuff. Also a great example of how the booze can be hidden you'd never for a moment think your drinking a 12% beer. I took a chance and picked up eight not knowing what to expect an real happy to have them now. As well picked up some of the Matador's that I will look to sample soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:51 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Bosc if any of your local LCBO have the Aventinus Eisbock grab a few, just fantastic brew if you like the sweet and sticky stuff. Also a great example of how the booze can be hidden you'd never for a moment think your drinking a 12% beer. I took a chance and picked up eight not knowing what to expect an real happy to have them now. As well picked up some of the Matador's that I will look to sample soon.

Damn, within half an hour of me, not really even near the in-laws.

Not beer but picked up a big score from the LCBO last week. I noticed a price drop on the LCBO site from $99 to $46 dollars on a bottle of El Dorado Single Barrel EHP rum that they have discontinued(and El Dorado actually stopped releasing a couple of years ago). There was one single bottle left in the entire province, in Waterloo. The manager at the store lives in Milton and brought it to a Milton LCBO so that I didn't have to pay the $25 fee the stores charge for bringing in something(that's what the associate said, anyways). Really appreciated that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:36 am 
OTP Historian

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editoria ... rial.html#

Quote:
The proposal is just this: independent breweries should each be allowed to open at least one off-site store. And they should be permitted to sell each other’s products as well as their own.

Should be able to do that at their on-site stores too. This proposal is a start.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am 
King of the One-Liner

Would really be a boost to the Ontario Craft beer makers, but some big money lobbying will stand in it's way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next