OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:44 pm 
Big in Japan

All about the sour gose these days. Trying to keep the summer going.

A pair of Quebec ones:

Les Trois Mousquetaires' Hors Série gose from Brossard, QC

Goudale's Le Gose Town from Boisbriand, QC

Also a fan of these American ones:

Briney Melon Gose from Anderson Valley Brewing Company in California

Gose from Lost Nation Brewing in Vermont

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:03 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Still making beer and with my reduction in amount of beer drank rarely have anything to review.

My Founders IPA clone is currently fantastic and while out of season still an excellent brew. Dry hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo hops it is very citrus hop flavour that does not take a beer snob to think it taste of grapefruit. High mash temp to keep unfermentable sugars around so the sweetness holds up to the hops even though it is only a 5% ABV. Easily my best recipe.

My other tap has an Oatmeal stout that while okay with great thickness and creaminess but may be a little overboard on the roast grains. First attempt at an oatmeal stout and it is very drinkable yet should be a good base to get it just right next time around.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:23 am 
OTP Historian

Muskoka has released a stout that while I didn't enjoy as much as hoped the first time was still pretty good. Not as good as their Dark Ale though, which was a favorite of mine before they discontinued it. I stopped at the brewery on my way to a wedding and their current monthly brew was a Dark Cream Ale, but it wasn't ready yet :x :( Picked up another Winter Beard to give it another shot. I didn't think it was nearly as good as the Flying Monkeys Chocolate Manifesto when I tried it the first time, and it was more expensive to boot.

Grabbed some stuff for the cellar again, including some Rochefort 10s, a Unibroue Grand Reserve 17. Wellington released their Kentucky Cow, their Chocolate Milk Stout aged in Bourbon Barrels. Not sure if I will let one of them sit or not.

2 year old Rochefort 10s are delicious. As is the Flying Monkeys Chocolate Manifesto more than a year(and just delicious period anyways).

Was not as much of a fan of the Beau's Oktoberfest mix this year. Their best of should be pretty great though. The DARK HELMÜT I had last year was fantastic.

http://beaus.ca/beer/best-beaus-2016/

Hounsy what do you think about cellaring this guy?

Quote:
QUADS & ROCKERS
BELGIAN-STYLE QUAD
10.5 % • WILD OATS NO. 70
This extra-strong Belgian-inspired ale is dark and full-bodied. Expect rich, malty and bold flavours, with noticeable alcohol warmth. Quads & Rockers is tailor-made for beer drinkers with an eye for style and a taste for tradition.

Amazingly the Milton LCBOs seem to have gotten even worse for beer selection. I didn't think that was possible. I made a trip to one in Burlington to grab seasonal stuff that would move fast. I wish I lived closer to the Wellington brewery :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:48 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Quads are one of the best styles to age, look at your Rochefort 10. So I would have to think that beer would do best in the 3-5 year range which I suspect is the ideal age range. Have had and have a few bourbon barrel stouts still have a few Kentucky Bastards from three and two years ago always found that one a little harsh on the oak so hopefully time mellows it, also have a few Dragon's milks and they are flat out awesome in my opinion.

Though I'm cutting back on the cellar numbers this year I add will be adding some Rochefort tonight. Hopefully can get ten.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:26 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Quads are one of the best styles to age, look at your Rochefort 10. So I would have to think that beer would do best in the 3-5 year range which I suspect is the ideal age range. Have had and have a few bourbon barrel stouts still have a few Kentucky Bastards from three and two years ago always found that one a little harsh on the oak so hopefully time mellows it, also have a few Dragon's milks and they are flat out awesome in my opinion.

Though I'm cutting back on the cellar numbers this year I add will be adding some Rochefort tonight. Hopefully can get ten.

I really wish Beau's packs were available individually so I could get a couple without buying the entire packs :(

The price went up on the Kentucky Bastards, $16 now. That's really freaking high.

Mill Street was selling a 10% Russian Stout in growlers(can only buy what they have out of their fridge with deposit and return, can't get them filled there from their taps which is brutal). $16 total after deposit, which is pretty cheap for nearly 2L of imperial stout. I wanted to get it but there's no way I was drinking that guy by myself over 24-48 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:52 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy, you aged some of the Beau's Imperial Stout, didn't you? Have you drank any?

Did you pick any of these guys?

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/founde ... YTB3VWGOHs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:44 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Oh my god oh my god oh my god....

No did not get any of the breakfast stout... ask me though in about an hour....

Yes did age some Beau's Imperial Stout but have not had it yet.

Anyway I got to go to the LCBO now, later.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:59 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Got a dozen of the Founders KBS. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:51 pm 
OTP Historian

:D Glad to help! You must not have been on Bar Towel for a while if you missed it? Or just forgot to check when it made it out to you?

I grabbed four and had one with my Dad yesterday. Nice beer. Really boozy(12%!). I dunno...I wasn't blown away by it or anything, not at the $8 price point that's for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:48 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
:D Glad to help! You must not have been on Bar Towel for a while if you missed it? Or just forgot to check when it made it out to you?

I grabbed four and had one with my Dad yesterday. Nice beer. Really boozy(12%!). I dunno...I wasn't blown away by it or anything, not at the $8 price point that's for sure.

More or less agree, though the dark chocolate really came through and I do not care for dark chocolate. Sot could see how it is world class but not the ideal beer for me. Dragon's Milk was better for me and half the cost by volume.

Had one of the Beau's Imperial Stout you asked about and it was just okay. Lacked in the creaminess moth feel and lip smacking stickiness I look for in an imperial. Two weeks ago had one of the Amsterdam Tempest that was three years old and it was fantastic... other than the lame waxed over cap...lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:26 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Bosc wrote:

More or less agree, though the dark chocolate really came through and I do not care for dark chocolate. Sot could see how it is world class but not the ideal beer for me. Dragon's Milk was better for me and half the cost by volume.

Had one of the Beau's Imperial Stout you asked about and it was just okay. Lacked in the creaminess moth feel and lip smacking stickiness I look for in an imperial. Two weeks ago had one of the Amsterdam Tempest that was three years old and it was fantastic... other than the lame waxed over cap...lol

Have you had any of your aged Flying Monkeys Chocolate Manifestos? I love that beer to begin with but aged...just wow.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:25 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:
Have you had any of your aged Flying Monkeys Chocolate Manifestos? I love that beer to begin with but aged...just wow.

Was never huge on the Chocolate Manifesto again think it is a chocolate forward thing. Just went and hunted around my poorly orginized cellar and see I still have 2 from 2014, 2 from 2015, and one from 2016 so maybe next Sunday will make one my Game of Thrones beer and make my Wife help drink it.

Also found six more Dragon's Milks I did not know I stashed in a box!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:36 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Was never huge on the Chocolate Manifesto again think it is a chocolate forward thing. Just went and hunted around my poorly orginized cellar and see I still have 2 from 2014, 2 from 2015, and one from 2016 so maybe next Sunday will make one my Game of Thrones beer and make my Wife help drink it.

Also found six more Dragon's Milks I did not know I stashed in a box!

Score!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:53 am 
King of the One-Liner

Had one of the 2014 chocolate manifestos last night. Too much chocolate for me, but the wife declared it the greatest beer she has ever experienced. Yeah she loves chocolate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:54 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Had one of the 2014 chocolate manifestos last night. Too much chocolate for me, but the wife declared it the greatest beer she has ever experienced. Yeah she loves chocolate.

I too love the chocolate-forward.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:56 am 
Big in Japan

Two words:

Coffee.

Sour.

If you find one, drink one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:45 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Two words:

Coffee.

Sour.

I think it was Beau's who made an espresso pilser and it was fucking great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:59 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Two words:

Coffee.

Sour.

I think it was Beau's who made an espresso pilser and it was fucking great.

The Collabrewnaut! Are they still making that one? The Tom Green Summer Stout is a bit like that too: coffee stout in pilsner form.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:49 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
The Collabrewnaut! Are they still making that one? The Tom Green Summer Stout is a bit like that too: coffee stout in pilsner form.

That's the one! I think it was in the winter mixer...and if that's the case then wouldn't be readily available anymore I don't think, outside of maybe the brewery.

I haven't tried the Tom Green Summer. I think for some reason I saw the description and wasn't impressed, but now that I look closer I think I'd really like it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:00 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Bosc wrote:
Hounsy wrote:

I too love the chocolate-forward.

That's just all kinds of wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next