OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:55 pm 
OTPoliceman

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Heading to Ireland tomorrow for the first time in I believe 4 years. Heading up the west coast off the bat, then down to the southeast.

Have a blast!

Thanks, we did! Had one bad day of weather and it was when we arrived. Went straight to the Cliffs of Moher and could barely see the cliffs at all due to the fog. But we went back a few days later and it was beautiful. Went up to Galway, where we got some of the best pizza I've ever had (very strange to write that) and Galway is just really nice. Went up to Sligo as well. Really nice beaches, went to a cool waterfall, etc. Back down to Cork then to see family, etc. Really good time overall. Feels like it was months ago. We got home last night. :lol: Miss18.1 did a Jameson shot with her mother and grandmother. That was pretty funny. The waiter came to our table with a Coke, a Guinness and some shots. He wasn't sure if he should put the Guinness or a shot in front of me. I laughed and told him he was sure to get it all wrong but it would be fun to test. He was wrong on every single drink. :lol: You'd think after me saying that he'd give me the Coke.

Chris. while you were in Cork did you get a chance to go out to Cobh on Cork Harbour? We stayed in a hotel there back in June 2016 and while walking around found a memorial garden for the Titanic. Cobh was known as Queenstown back then and was the last stop before colliding with the iceberg. Quite the discovery for us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:44 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

drl perfect III wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Heading to Ireland tomorrow for the first time in I believe 4 years. Heading up the west coast off the bat, then down to the southeast.

Have a blast!

Thanks, we did! Had one bad day of weather and it was when we arrived. Went straight to the Cliffs of Moher and could barely see the cliffs at all due to the fog. But we went back a few days later and it was beautiful. Went up to Galway, where we got some of the best pizza I've ever had (very strange to write that) and Galway is just really nice. Went up to Sligo as well. Really nice beaches, went to a cool waterfall, etc. Back down to Cork then to see family, etc. Really good time overall. Feels like it was months ago. We got home last night. :lol: Miss18.1 did a Jameson shot with her mother and grandmother. That was pretty funny. The waiter came to our table with a Coke, a Guinness and some shots. He wasn't sure if he should put the Guinness or a shot in front of me. I laughed and told him he was sure to get it all wrong but it would be fun to test. He was wrong on every single drink. :lol: You'd think after me saying that he'd give me the Coke.

Chris. while you were in Cork did you get a chance to go out to Cobh on Cork Harbour? We stayed in a hotel there back in June 2016 and while walking around found a memorial garden for the Titanic. Cobh was known as Queenstown back then and was the last stop before colliding with the iceberg. Quite the discovery for us.

We’ve been to Cobh a few times. It’s a really beautiful place.

Although I’ve found some if the sailors/dock workers roaming the streets to be really sketchy. There are few places my wife and I feel unsafe. Cobh feels to me like the kind of town where one of our girls could be taken and gone forever. I stopped into a shop quickly and my wife and girls continued walking ahead. I came out and noticed two sketchy guys clearly following them. Maybe it was an attempted purse grab but it felt worse. I ran ahead of them and immediately grabbed each daughters’ hand, then turned to glare at the dudes. They left immediately. Nothing actually happened, it was just a feeling. But one of those feelings that was incredibly strong. No clue if the guys were locals or off a foreign ship. They just had a really sketchy vibe.

So that said, my father had a great time playing golf in Cobh and we really enjoyed Fota Park zoo, although it’s pretty scary to look at cheetahs and other cats behind a single 10’ high chain link fence that includes a sign telling you not to put fingers through the fence as the cats WILL bite. I mean, they’re big cats. It’s implied by nature but a single chain link fence? Yikes. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:23 pm 

I try this every year but anyone near Buffalo March 3-5?
We're going to the Sabres-Lightning game on March 4th. It's a 12:30 game. If we're knocked out of our tournament I may try to go to Toronto to see the HoF. Maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:55 pm 
OTP Historian

Went to Iceland for a week without the kids, had a great time. Anam was surprised and enjoyed it more than she was expecting to. Food and drinks are pretty damn expensive, but ate some excellent food and drank a bunch of great Iceland beers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:33 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Went to Iceland for a week without the kids, had a great time. Anam was surprised and enjoyed it more than she was expecting to. Food and drinks are pretty damn expensive, but ate some excellent food and drank a bunch of great Iceland beers.

I've always wanted to go there. I keep telling my wife we need to do a trip like Newfoundland>Iceland>Ireland>Scotland.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:38 pm 
Big in Japan

On a little Quebec jaunt through Charlevoix, Tadoussac and Saguenay and I'm always really impressed everywhere I go in this province. So much natural beauty, great food and great beer. What more could you want?

I've been to Montreal, Quebec City, Montebello, Sherbrooke, Charlevoix, Saguenay, Rouyn-Noranda, Victoriaville, Sorel and a few other spots and they've all got something to offer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:40 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

E.L. wrote:
On a little Quebec jaunt through Charlevoix, Tadoussac and Saguenay and I'm always really impressed everywhere I go in this province. So much natural beauty, great food and great beer. What more could you want?

I've been to Montreal, Quebec City, Montebello, Sherbrooke, Charlevoix, Saguenay, Rouyn-Noranda, Victoriaville, Sorel and a few other spots and they've all got something to offer.

It is so true, and I used to see a lot of Quebec growing up as my grandmother was originally from Gaspe, so there were a lot of my dad's aunts, uncles and cousins still living there, so we would go there sometimes in the summer as it was a 10-12 hour drive. Absolutely beautiful scenery, especially after Matane, where the road is literally on the cliff and the st Laurence river is meeting with the Atlantic ocean. One year we took the North shore route through Quebec city and a little detour to Chicoutimi then on to Baie Comeau where we took the ferry to Matane and on to Gaspe.

I was always amazed at the beauty of Quebec, where not only Canadians never travel, but a god majority of Quebecers haven't.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:45 am 

Our son turned 18 last week, so we are going to take a little trip to Banff in Alberta, where the drinking age is 18 and have his first legal drink. ( its 19 in BC)

We are going for 5 days and will do some white water rafting and kayaking along with some hikes in the rockies. We can pretty much do tis in BC, but again, is the fun for him to have his first legal beer. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:21 am 
Big in Japan

Scott 679 wrote:
Our son turned 18 last week, so we are going to take a little trip to Banff in Alberta, where the drinking age is 18 and have his first legal drink. ( its 19 in BC)

We are going for 5 days and will do some white water rafting and kayaking along with some hikes in the rockies. We can pretty much do tis in BC, but again, is the fun for him to have his first legal beer. :)

Banff and BC: two other places I haven't been!

Like most Canadians, I haven't seen enough of my own country. It's cheaper to fly to Europe than it is to fly cross-country. But I really want to check our more of Eastern Canada and eventually Newfoundland before going out West. But I'd love to see it all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:25 am 

Scott 679 wrote:
E.L. wrote:

It is so true, and I used to see a lot of Quebec growing up as my grandmother was originally from Gaspe, so there were a lot of my dad's aunts, uncles and cousins still living there, so we would go there sometimes in the summer as it was a 10-12 hour drive. Absolutely beautiful scenery, especially after Matane, where the road is literally on the cliff and the st Laurence river is meeting with the Atlantic ocean. One year we took the North shore route through Quebec city and a little detour to Chicoutimi then on to Baie Comeau where we took the ferry to Matane and on to Gaspe.

I was always amazed at the beauty of Quebec, where not only Canadians never travel, but a god majority of Quebecers haven't.

It's similar in BC most don't travel their own province. You'll have a hard time finding a Vancouverite that has visited Helmken falls. It's a 5 hour drive from Vancouver, 140 m falls, in a 170m canyon. You can do a 45 minute walk into it, and stand right on the rim (no fences) and look down at it just falling off the edge. Relatively easy access, and just raw nature at its finest. But we tend to be pretty ignorant of what there is in our own province.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmcken_Falls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:51 pm 

It’s the same everywhere. I live in NY but have never been to the Statue of Liberty or Ellis Island. I’ve only been to most of NY because of work. Nobody believes their own area has nice things. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:00 am 

Thinking of a solo vacation- going to the Punk Rock Museum in Vegas, then the Skateboarding HoF in LA. Just don't know how my wife will react to me asking to go to Vegas alone. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:44 pm 
OTP Historian

I haven't been West of Winnipeg, so we still have a lot of country to see. I want to go to QC and Gaspe as well. I've spent time in NB, PEI, NS(and Cape Breton) but not Newfoundland.

We just went away for the weekend in a small beach town a couple hours away in Port Stanley. The weather didn't cooperate for the beach on Saturday, but we slept in, got a massage and ate some delicious food. Saw friends on the way there and on the way home, and picked up a new goalie mask.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:01 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Scott 679 wrote:

Like most Canadians, I haven't seen enough of my own country. It's cheaper to fly to Europe than it is to fly cross-country. But I really want to check our more of Eastern Canada and eventually Newfoundland before going out West. But I'd love to see it all.

Eastern Canada is gorgeous, and I love Nova Scotia, and do recommend visiting out East, but if you've never been to BC, it will blow your mind. Soooooo different but awesome compared to the East. I used to hear this, and have done it once since living out here was ski in the morning and golf in the afternoon.

The beauty of the mountains is breath taking, and unlike back east, you don't need to go very far past Vancouver for beautiful hikes, amazing provincial parks and camping.

If you can, I would highly recommend a visit out in BC!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:09 pm 

Scott 679 wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Scott 679 wrote:

Eastern Canada is gorgeous, and I love Nova Scotia, and do recommend visiting out East, but if you've never been to BC, it will blow your mind. Soooooo different but awesome compared to the East. I used to hear this, and have done it once since living out here was ski in the morning and golf in the afternoon.

The beauty of the mountains is breath taking, and unlike back east, you don't need to go very far past Vancouver for beautiful hikes, amazing provincial parks and camping.

If you can, I would highly recommend a visit out in BC!

Seconded. I've been two places in Canada- Nova Scotia and Vancouver. Both beautiful, but yeah, Vancouver was even nicer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:25 pm 

BC is special. I've travelled across all of Canada, except Nunavat and North West territories, and all the states west of the Mississippi and BC tops all of them quite easily. Desert in Osyoos, vastness of the Peace River country, the west coast and gulf islands, and the Chilcotin is just so different. Fav is still the Kootenay's though, but there is just so much, and so different. You could do nothing but explore BC for all your vacations for a life time and you would not have to repeat or run out of beauty.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:53 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Thinking of a solo vacation- going to the Punk Rock Museum in Vegas, then the Skateboarding HoF in LA. Just don't know how my wife will react to me asking to go to Vegas alone. :lol:

Pulled the trigger on this. Going to a work conference in mid-Sept in Indianapolis, so I'm going to continue on to Vegas for a night or two, then drive to north of LA for the skateboarding museum, then take a red eye home. Two places I've wanted to visit for years and I never do shit like this, so I did it. Probably not worth it but what the hell, it'll be a good story.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:23 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Pulled the trigger on this. Going to a work conference in mid-Sept in Indianapolis, so I'm going to continue on to Vegas for a night or two, then drive to north of LA for the skateboarding museum, then take a red eye home. Two places I've wanted to visit for years and I never do shit like this, so I did it. Probably not worth it but what the hell, it'll be a good story.

Oh no, strictly non-alcoholic rootbeer-drinking Chris. What sorts of trouble will he get into in Vegas???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:19 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Oh no, strictly non-alcoholic rootbeer-drinking Chris. What sorts of trouble will he get into in Vegas???

I drink birch beer, thank you very much! I agree with the Hansons- none o' that stink' root beer!

I've been to Vegas before. I have very little interest in that entire city, other than the punk rock museum. I'll probably bring my usual $20 limit to gamble a bit, and hope to win enough to cover my trip, but it'll more likely be $20 wasted while creeple watching (my new phrase for watching creepy people).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:39 am 

Indianapolis is nicer than I expected. Staying right next to the Colts’ stadium. Some really nice walking bridges over the White River. I don’t have time to get to the zoo nearby which is a bummer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next