OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:07 am 

Made the break.

Went to Amsterdam for 8 days and made it back. Overall went pretty smoothly, although I'm quarantined until next Saturday. Worth it tho. :dance:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:25 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Went back to Lake Placid this weekend. They're renovating the 1980 and 1932 Olympic rinks. Totally overhauling everything in prep for the 2023 international collegiate games, which I guess is like college Olympics, since the Olympics are now for pros.

My wife really loves it up there and wants to buy property. We can't afford it in the next 2 years and I fear the costs will double after they host such an event. I figure if we could scrape the money together now to buy something we could probably charge and arm & leg for that month or so and make a shitload of the investment back. :lol:

But it's a really beautiful area and if any of you guys ever go I can let you know some cool stuff to check out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:41 pm 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
Went back to Lake Placid this weekend. They're renovating the 1980 and 1932 Olympic rinks. Totally overhauling everything in prep for the 2023 international collegiate games, which I guess is like college Olympics, since the Olympics are now for pros.

My wife really loves it up there and wants to buy property. We can't afford it in the next 2 years and I fear the costs will double after they host such an event. I figure if we could scrape the money together now to buy something we could probably charge and arm & leg for that month or so and make a shitload of the investment back. :lol:

But it's a really beautiful area and if any of you guys ever go I can let you know some cool stuff to check out.

Lake Placid is amazing! Cool to hear they are renovating. I haven't been there in many years. I also miss Ausable Chasm. You go to that place?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:09 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:

Lake Placid is amazing! Cool to hear they are renovating. I haven't been there in many years. I also miss Ausable Chasm. You go to that place?

I hadn't heard of Ausable Chasm before. Looked it up just now and it's similar, but bigger and considered better than, High Falls Gorge which we went to. I'll check it out next time we go up.

My wife is permanently cold. I can't believe she wants to move to a place like Lake Placid. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:42 am 
OTP Historian

So it appears that Quebec City at the end of November might be out. Flights have gotten outrageously expensive for our dates at $1200 for two people.

Looks like we might be riding the train to Montreal Nov 24-28. Erik, you around then?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
So it appears that Quebec City at the end of November might be out. Flights have gotten outrageously expensive for our dates at $1200 for two people.

Looks like we might be riding the train to Montreal Nov 24-28. Erik, you around then?

Yeah, I should be. Working the games but let me know what you're planning. Maybe on Instagram DM, I'm more alert on there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:20 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Yeah, I should be. Working the games but let me know what you're planning. Maybe on Instagram DM, I'm more alert on there.

Sounds good. Gonna need the restaurant recs :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:06 am 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Sounds good. Gonna need the restaurant recs :D

Looks like Centrale is right downtown? What stuff do we need to see?

I just looked at your NDG restaurant article. Dumplings and Fried Chicken - exactly what Anam wants!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:18 pm 
Big in Japan

I don't know if you need to schlep out to NDG for good dumplings or fried chicken. Both in abundance in our lovely Chinatown downtown.

Centrale is next to Chinatown as well. I haven't been since the Pando, but I loved it when it opened. Definitely have all your vax pass info ready, they'll be checking everywhere. Time Out Market at Eaton Centre reopened and it's also really cool.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:10 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
I don't know if you need to schlep out to NDG for good dumplings or fried chicken. Both in abundance in our lovely Chinatown downtown.

Centrale is next to Chinatown as well. I haven't been since the Pando, but I loved it when it opened. Definitely have all your vax pass info ready, they'll be checking everywhere. Time Out Market at Eaton Centre reopened and it's also really cool.

How's the vax pass stuff working there? Here I've just had the pdf on my phone and drivers license.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:53 pm 
OTP Historian

Hotel and train to Montreal booked for Nov 24th - 28th.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:29 am 
OTP Historian

Had a blast in Montreal for a few days with Anam without the kids. Slept in, ate, visited some historic spots and wandered around Old Montreal and the old port. Just a wicked place.

Loved taking the train, albeit our train to get there left 2 hours late(The engineers didn't have their paperwork in order? The fuck?) and the one coming home was diverted for 45 minutes or so because of some work on the line. Anam wasn't as thrilled with it as I was(but I would also be the one driving).

I felt much safer as a pedestrian in Montreal than Toronto. The no right turn on red lights is a big part of that I think. Those sloped icy sidewalks must get pretty precarious in the winter though!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:06 am 

Wife wants to do the Erie Canal bike trail this coming summer or next one. She hates the idea of camping but says she wants to camp along the trail so we don't have a schedule. I reminded her that means carrying tents, sleeping bags, etc, and not being able to shower... It's like 350 miles from Buffalo to Albany, which sounds really daunting but most people do 50-100 miles a day fairly easily since it's mostly downhill if you go east. I figure we'd take the train from Albany to Buffalo with the bikes.

https://www.ptny.org/cycle-the-erie-canal/trail-map

Could be fun or we could be on the way to divorce by the time we get home. :lol: We drove cross country a few times in college and by the end of the last time she was ready to kill me. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:35 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Had a blast in Montreal for a few days with Anam without the kids. Slept in, ate, visited some historic spots and wandered around Old Montreal and the old port. Just a wicked place.

Loved taking the train, albeit our train to get there left 2 hours late(The engineers didn't have their paperwork in order? The fuck?) and the one coming home was diverted for 45 minutes or so because of some work on the line. Anam wasn't as thrilled with it as I was(but I would also be the one driving).

I felt much safer as a pedestrian in Montreal than Toronto. The no right turn on red lights is a big part of that I think. Those sloped icy sidewalks must get pretty precarious in the winter though!

Sloped icy sidewalks is right!!! The last time I went to Montreal was to watch the Nutcracker at Place Des Arts with my g/f (at the time) and her son. She didn't care for the city (partly why she's an ex lol), but I just love being there - even after I wiped out on the sidewalk right on my tailbone.

The MTL vibe is the closest I get to a NYC vibe in Canada. We went by train also - love the train.... although 2 hours??? wtf guys. Hope you were drinking during the wait - best part of not having to drive :beer: 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:25 am 
King of the One-Liner

Booked ski trip in Feb but keeping it in province in case any added restrictions happen between then and now. Not expecting them just concerned, but all things even I would rather ski in Quebec so it was a covid based decision to ski in Ontario instead.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:01 pm 

I might be in northern NY, across from Kingston, Ontario in late April. Any of you near there?

I should be in Buffalo, NY the first weekend of March too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:04 pm 
OTP Historian

BCG wrote:
The MTL vibe is the closest I get to a NYC vibe in Canada. We went by train also - love the train.... although 2 hours??? wtf guys. Hope you were drinking during the wait - best part of not having to drive :beer: 8-)

I just saw this. We were looking forward to loading up on sausages, duck fat fries and beer at Wvrst in Union before we left but they didn't open until 11:30 and we boarded at 11. :( But if we weren't stuck on the train during the delay we could have been there :chris18:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:06 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
I might be in northern NY, across from Kingston, Ontario in late April. Any of you near there?

Buffalo is about half or less the distance for me as Kingston is. Hounsy is really close.

We will have to see what the situation is like for crossing the border closer to then.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:27 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Buffalo is about half or less the distance for me as Kingston is. Hounsy is really close.

We will have to see what the situation is like for crossing the border closer to then.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I was there last April but the border was supposedly closed.

I'll be there for a tournament, so I'll see what the schedule is like as we get close.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:13 pm 

It's official- I'll be in Buffalo March 3-6 for the NY state tournament. Looks like we've got games on Friday morning and afternoon, and a game Saturday morning. If we make the semi-finals, they're Sunday morning. So we'll probably head to Niagara Falls on Saturday afternoon.

There's a Sabres home game while we're there. Might go, just to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next