OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Also slid off the icy highway on the drive back, but somehow didn't kill myself or even damage my car all that much.

Shit, glad you(and your car) are ok!

The car hardly even has a scratch on it, only the rims are bit chipped up. No one believes me that I hit the concrete barrier pretty hard because the car is perfectly intact. Basically I was able to slide the car enough so my left wheels absorbed most of the collision.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:08 am 
OTP Historian

So we are looking to head out West for a week, maybe a bit longer, in June. Likely Vancouver. What advice can you all give me for navigating Van with a 1.5 year old? How many days should I rent a car for and to see what?

Will also hopefully have a meetup once dates are finalized.

Looked into flying in Van, taking the Rocky Mountaineer to Banff and then flying home from Calgary. However, the Mountaineer is hideously expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:49 am 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
So we are looking to head out West for a week, maybe a bit longer, in June. Likely Vancouver. What advice can you all give me for navigating Van with a 1.5 year old? How many days should I rent a car for and to see what?

Looked into flying in Van, taking the Rocky Mountaineer to Banff and then flying home from Calgary. However, the Mountaineer is hideously expensive.

*Crickets*

Bruce, did you make any decisions?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:46 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The Vancouver contingent is kinda scattered these days. You're better off getting BnG on Twitter, and Old Man River on Facebook. Same goes with Lisa (I can't even remember her handle on here any longer). Fogg, LP, Farang, et al still drop by from time to time but that's all I can think of.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:48 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Bosc wrote:
Bosc wrote:

*Crickets*

Bruce, did you make any decisions?

My entire time off will be squeezed into July/August. Which isn't really a squeeze, I suppose, but the limits to cramp my style a bit. Need to take care of things job-wise first.

I assume it'll be a variation on the Quebec theme, with plenty of time out west thrown in.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:41 am 

Bosc wrote:

Really would need to know more about you and your wife Bosc.
1.If you're into hiking, the Grouse Grind is a great challenge, especially with a toddler but there are fit parents who do it all the time with child in back pack. Get to the top and have a beer and bite to eat on the deck looking over the city.
2. A little less physically demanding would be a bike rental and ride around Stanley Park.
3. Coffee and whatever for brunch at Granville Island.
4. Most definitely drive the Sea to Sky highway listed by AAA as one of the 5 best drives in North America. If you want you can do the circle tour through Whistler, Lillooet, Fraser Canyon (Hells Gate) then back to Vancouver or out to the Okanogan (cherry season, wine country)
5. Circle tour, Vancouver to Victoria, then to Nanaimo to Tofino and long beach (make sure to stop at Cathedral Grove and the (Maclean Sawmill and train trip is a great half day in Port Alberni). Depending on how much time you have you can go back to Vancouver from Nanaimo or head up island to Comox and cross on the ferry there and tour down the sunshine coast. If you do the longer route see if you can time the tides in Skookumchuk narrows.

Vancouver is an outdoor city so I'm a bit stumped what to recommend to do with a 1.5 year old which is why I lean towards suggesting the two possible circle tours. In Whistler drop the kid in day care and mountain bike down the mountain all day, lots of other stuff as well.

If you wanted to say the hell with Vancouver, you could put both of those trips together and get to view 5 really distinct areas in BC. Vancouver Island (crazy huge rain forest), coastal mountains, interior, Okanogan (desert) and the Fraser Valley.

Or drive to Calgary, lots of options on that one I can discuss with you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:13 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Really would need to know more about you and your wife Bosc.
1.If you're into hiking, the Grouse Grind is a great challenge, especially with a toddler but there are fit parents who do it all the time with child in back pack. Get to the top and have a beer and bite to eat on the deck looking over the city.
2. A little less physically demanding would be a bike rental and ride around Stanley Park.
3. Coffee and whatever for brunch at Granville Island.
4. Most definitely drive the Sea to Sky highway listed by AAA as one of the 5 best drives in North America. If you want you can do the circle tour through Whistler, Lillooet, Fraser Canyon (Hells Gate) then back to Vancouver or out to the Okanogan (cherry season, wine country)
5. Circle tour, Vancouver to Victoria, then to Nanaimo to Tofino and long beach (make sure to stop at Cathedral Grove and the (Maclean Sawmill and train trip is a great half day in Port Alberni). Depending on how much time you have you can go back to Vancouver from Nanaimo or head up island to Comox and cross on the ferry there and tour down the sunshine coast. If you do the longer route see if you can time the tides in Skookumchuk narrows.

Vancouver is an outdoor city so I'm a bit stumped what to recommend to do with a 1.5 year old which is why I lean towards suggesting the two possible circle tours. In Whistler drop the kid in day care and mountain bike down the mountain all day, lots of other stuff as well.

If you wanted to say the hell with Vancouver, you could put both of those trips together and get to view 5 really distinct areas in BC. Vancouver Island (crazy huge rain forest), coastal mountains, interior, Okanogan (desert) and the Fraser Valley.

Or drive to Calgary, lots of options on that one I can discuss with you.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, Fogg. Neither of us are really into hiking or too much outdoorsy stuff. More of the eat and experience the city types :) We'd definitely go to Stanley Park and Granville Island. Woudl also like to do something like 4 and 5. We will have to see how Leila can handle being in the car because she is super active and wants to be moving all the time. Probably try to do a long stretch of driving when it's nap time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:34 pm 

Had a blast in Gastown last time I was there. Also, Kyle and Alex took Joe and I to a great Korean place and the next day Graham took us to Dim Sum.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Going to be in Atlanta last week of June. Anyone ever been?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:41 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Going to be in Atlanta last week of June. Anyone ever been?

Been in the massive, sprawling airport more times than I can count...but never got to see the sights.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:44 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
Had a blast in Gastown last time I was there. Also, Kyle and Alex took Joe and I to a great Korean place and the next day Graham took us to Dim Sum.

Didn't even think to mention Dim Sum on the list I pm'd you. Would certainly recommend you try it when you are here. When you get closer to date for being in town I'll try and see if we can get together for some. Warning, I'll eat just about anything except tripe, I especially love ducks feet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:09 am 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Didn't even think to mention Dim Sum on the list I pm'd you. Would certainly recommend you try it when you are here. When you get closer to date for being in town I'll try and see if we can get together for some. Warning, I'll eat just about anything except tripe, I especially love ducks feet.

:lol: Tripe was like the first thing I tried in Rome. Not sure if it was Tripe itself or just the dish but it was terrible :lol: Anam and I will also eat just about anything. I grossed a few people out with the duck eggs in Ho Chi Minh City.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:52 pm 
OTP Historian

Change of plans. Heading to Myrtle Beach rather than out West.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:57 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Bosc wrote:

I was there two months ago. Actually would have to say it was nicer than expected.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:06 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Bosc wrote:

I was there two months ago. Actually would have to say it was nicer than expected.

Nice. We're staying at Compass Cove. My brother's family has been there with his inlaws a few times and his inlaws have been going there for like 25 years. Decided that instead of worrying about Leila with long flights, time changes, taking things we'll need because of getting AirBnb, a lot more driving around...figured we'd do something hopefully relaxing and nice.

Anything to recommend? We're getting a suite with a full fridge and renting a car so we'll stock up on groceries and some supplies.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:41 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Broadway at the Beach is an outdoor shopping, restaurant, and attractions area that as a family you would enjoy. The trip I went on was with six other families we know and involved a lot of sitting around the beach or pool hanging out for the adults and the kids hanging out in their groups. The place we stayed included a hot breakfast everyday so we made our own lunches in the kitchen and went out for diners which seemed a good plan. The only thing i would change meal wise would be to pass on one of the diners out and order in Pizza and wings once.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:54 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Broadway at the Beach is an outdoor shopping, restaurant, and attractions area that as a family you would enjoy. The trip I went on was with six other families we know and involved a lot of sitting around the beach or pool hanging out for the adults and the kids hanging out in their groups. The place we stayed included a hot breakfast everyday so we made our own lunches in the kitchen and went out for diners which seemed a good plan. The only thing i would change meal wise would be to pass on one of the diners out and order in Pizza and wings once.

Thanks, Hounsy!

We will probably be eating more dinners in than our with Leila being 16 months old and usually asleep by 6:30pm. Pizza and wings is a good idea for at least a night.

Did you happen to scope out the local beer situation in the area or were you all drinking the mass stuff?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:03 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Hop bombs everywhere in the stores and some where fresh and good reminding me that being in Ontario taints my opinion of hopped IPA's as they are rarely fresh here. Broadway at the beach has a restaurant brew house called Liberty brewery and Grill and the beer was good which surprised me and lunch was nice. Went on a tour of New South Brewery while there and it was interesting to see the gear but the beer was not great and missing something, I think they use one yeast for all beers.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:32 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
Hop bombs everywhere in the stores and some where fresh and good reminding me that being in Ontario taints my opinion of hopped IPA's as they are rarely fresh here. Broadway at the beach has a restaurant brew house called Liberty brewery and Grill and the beer was good which surprised me and lunch was nice. Went on a tour of New South Brewery while there and it was interesting to see the gear but the beer was not great and missing something, I think they use one yeast for all beers.

Yeah it's the hop bomb time of year :x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:41 pm 
Big in Japan

Booked too many damn trips.

Week in Atlanta end of June with a night in Savannah, GA.
Five days in Philadelphia beginning of August with a day in Washington, DC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 33  Next