OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:40 am 
Old Man of the Post

Just returned from an epic cross-continent road trip:
  • From IL along Route 66, to CA and north along PCH and I5 to BC, then back east through Yellowstone with stops in -
  • Oklahoma - stopped at the Oklahoma City National Memorial
  • The Grand Canyon, AZ - as awesome as advertised if not a little commercial...
  • Cupertino, CA - my sons wanted to skip Disneyland but wanted to visit Cupertino
  • Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA - enjoyed the sun and sights around town...
  • Crescent City, CA - drove along the PCH and watched the sun set; woke up to the melodious sounds of elephant seals snoring / barking...
  • Vancouver, BC - spent nearly a week back home; primarily for my dad's inurnment as well as my niece's engagement dinner; surprised at how much SO much has changed there; if I were to characterize it, Vancouver has evolved with modern North American city aspirations but severely constrained geographically to being a big town...
  • Yellowstone National Park, WY to see Old Faithful - very commercial, and did you know it is a three-hour drive through the park just to get to Old Faithful?
  • We had planned to stop at Mt. Rushmore but didn't as I needed to be back at work this Monday...
  • We did stop in Iowa City to check out the Natatorium there; we wanted to stop in at least one major college town so we could start visiting colleges with our oldest...
  • Best rest areas on this trip - easily the ones we saw in TX were luxurious compared to skid-row level rest areas through IL and IA; the ones in WY were also very well-maintained
  • The Grand Canyon and the mountains through WY were the highlights for me...
Can't say I'd want to do that again but it was great to do it once... Spent about 2 1/2 weeks total but could have easily spent 4 or more to do it justice...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:53 am 
OTP Historian

Damn, that's huge tCL! I'd love to do something like that across Northern Ontario+Western Canada, the US, and Eastern Canada again(with Newfoundland this time)/.

Myrtle Beach was fun. Only spent one full day on the beach since the heat gets to be too much for Leila, even with umbrella shade. Late afternoon is great though when the tide is low and all of the sandcastles are available for stomping. Spent plenty of time in the indoor and outdoor pools/lazy rivers in the resort.

Spent some time at Broadway at the beach and went to Ripleys while we were there. Leila liked it but I think I liked it the most of all of us.

She went from mostly crawling with some walking to full out walking by the end of the trip. Hilarious watching her walk around hands in the air. Just by standing up and walking they seem to be so much taller.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:05 am 
Big in Japan

Just got back from a week in Atlanta and Savannah. Loved both.

Atlanta doesn't have much history but makes up for it with amazing food, rap music everywhere and young, vibrant neighbourhoods with cool businesses and designs. Savannah has old southern architecture and beautiful trees with Spanish moss. Really nice seaside town. South Carolina is a bridge away from Savannah, and right on the border there's an animal reserve with gators you can drive through.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:00 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Looked into going to Newfoundland during the summer. :shock: tickets ranged $800 to $1300. It's 1/3 the distance to Europe, and almost twice as expensive. Fuck that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:18 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Looked into going to Newfoundland during the summer. :shock: tickets ranged $800 to $1300. It's 1/3 the distance to Europe, and almost twice as expensive. Fuck that.

Jaysus! Was it direct or stopover? Might be cheaper to fly to Toronto first and then there.

Drive to Tobermory and go diving. Stop for a visit on the way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:37 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Chris18 wrote:

It's expensive to fly anywhere in Canada! :x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:52 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Jaysus! Was it direct or stopover? Might be cheaper to fly to Toronto first and then there.

Direct. I hate stopovers. But I could check going to TO first. I hate the idea of heading west to go east. :lol:
Checked going to TO first and it drops to $580 each. But for that I could go to Ireland, where I could stay for free.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:58 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Direct. I hate stopovers. But I could check going to TO first. I hate the idea of heading west to go east. :lol:
Checked going to TO first and it drops to $580 each. But for that I could go to Ireland, where I could stay for free.

Have you ever gone diving in Tobermory? Think its around 12 hour drive from you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobermory,_Ontario

Quote:
The community is known as the "fresh water SCUBA diving capital of the world"[1] because of the numerous shipwrecks that lie in the surrounding waters, especially in Fathom Five National Marine Park. Tobermory and the surrounding area are popular vacation destinations. People come for the beaches, the diving, the unspoilt countryside and the relaxed pace of life. The town lies north of the Bruce Peninsula National Park.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:13 pm 

Bosc wrote:

Have you ever gone diving in Tobermory? Think its around 12 hour drive from you.

Quote:
The community is known as the "fresh water SCUBA diving capital of the world"[1] because of the numerous shipwrecks that lie in the surrounding waters, especially in Fathom Five National Marine Park. Tobermory and the surrounding area are popular vacation destinations. People come for the beaches, the diving, the unspoilt countryside and the relaxed pace of life. The town lies north of the Bruce Peninsula National Park.

Never heard of it before. Looks incredible though!

I've actually never been to Ontario before. My 2 trips to Canada are Nova Scotia and Vancouver. I've been hoping to make it to TO for a while- visit the HHoF and such. Just never seems to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:32 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Quote:

I've actually never been to Ontario before. My 2 trips to Canada are Nova Scotia and Vancouver. I've been hoping to make it to TO for a while- visit the HHoF and such. Just never seems to happen.

HHoF in and of itself isn't worth the trip to Toronto but if you're making a trip to Ontario then see it. Lots of great outdoors stuff to do in Ontario if you and the family do that kind of thing.

I can't remember if you still dive or not.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:09 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Quote:

HHoF in and of itself isn't worth the trip to Toronto but if you're making a trip to Ontario then see it. Lots of great outdoors stuff to do in Ontario if you and the family do that kind of thing.

I can't remember if you still dive or not.

I haven't "quit diving", but most of my equipment should be in a museum by now. Last time I went my "dry suit" was well perforated, and is old enough that the company laughed when I asked if they could fix it. They don't have the old zippers, boots, etc. It would cost more to repair than buy a new one. They don't make the parts to service my regulators anymore.... I actually lost my dive knife the other day while doing field work for my thesis & was really bummed. My wife asked why I was so upset, was it really expensive. I said "it was about $60, but I've had it 28 years. It saved my life quite a few times." 28 years. She pointed out I got my money's worth. :lol: But it was like an old friend dying.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:43 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Heading out with the Family to Cannon Beach OR today for a recharge. If I can get one day in when I'm not thinking about work it will be quote Borat: "Great Success!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:24 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
I haven't "quit diving", but most of my equipment should be in a museum by now. Last time I went my "dry suit" was well perforated, and is old enough that the company laughed when I asked if they could fix it. They don't have the old zippers, boots, etc. It would cost more to repair than buy a new one. They don't make the parts to service my regulators anymore.... I actually lost my dive knife the other day while doing field work for my thesis & was really bummed. My wife asked why I was so upset, was it really expensive. I said "it was about $60, but I've had it 28 years. It saved my life quite a few times." 28 years. She pointed out I got my money's worth. :lol: But it was like an old friend dying.

Damn, that really would stink losing something like that.

My Dad was the same with some of his gear. It had been stored and unused for a long time. He went and got some things tested and recertified to give to a family friend.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:02 am 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Damn, that really would stink losing something like that.

My Dad was the same with some of his gear. It had been stored and unused for a long time. He went and got some things tested and recertified to give to a family friend.

That's cool.
My kids both have hopes of diving some day. There's no way I'm letting them do it without me around. Kids think they're invincible. I don't believe in anything like angels most of the time, but I had a serious diving guardian angel. I shouldn't be here due to several really stupid things I did like 100' under the ocean. So if they can convince their mother that they should be allowed to do it, I'll be in for a LOT of new gear since most of mine is so outdated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:15 am 
OTP Historian

Speaking of knives, I grabbed a Leatherman the other day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:48 pm 

Will be heading back to the Island again this August, ( Courtenay) visiting parents and Relatives, and may take the ferry over to Vancouver to see other relatives. Always look forward to heading out West. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:55 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

us 679 part trois wrote:
Will be heading back to the Island again this August, ( Courtenay) visiting parents and Relatives, and may take the ferry over to Vancouver to see other relatives. Always look forward to heading out West. :D
You from BC? Apparently summer hasn't started up there yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:20 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
us 679 part trois wrote:
You from BC? Apparently summer hasn't started up there yet.

No, I'm originally from Montreal,and have lived in the GTA for about 22 years.I have a lot of family out there, with aunts and uncles and cousins who moved out there in the 60's and 70's from job transfers. My parents retired on the island about 8 years ago, and my brother and girlfriend, ( both from Montreal moved out there last year.

You can't beat the beauty and especially on the Island, the friendly people.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:33 am 
OTP Historian

us 679 part trois wrote:

Scott when do you leave? Let's grab a beer before you go or after you get back, whenever works. It's been too long.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:00 am 

Finally decided on a summer vacation destination, which will be one of my hockey pilgrimages- Lake Placid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 33  Next