OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:05 am 
OTP Historian

Jyrki21 wrote:
Just got back from Virginia, and am leaving this Sunday for my honeymoon!!

The Israel trip long in the making is finally taking place.

Have fun, the both of yas!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:58 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Seeyas all!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:53 pm 
Big in Japan

Jyrki21 wrote:
Seeyas all!

:snoop:

Anyways, here are a couple of pics from my Vegas/LA trip:

Me drinking a Wild Turkey at famous Hollywood restaurant Musso & Frank. Drinking at the same spot frequented by Bukowski, Orson Welles, Hemingway, Faulkner, Chandler, and even Charlie Chaplin.

The drive from Vegas to LA:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:47 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

I'm back, yaddy yadda. I'll give some details of the trip eventually. Had a good time, etc.

Tons of work for me today. That sucks. At least I'll be meeting up with US679 tomorrow!

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:38 pm 

I'm back too... honeymoon was awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:24 am 

Doing some initial research for my long overdue American West Coast road trip. Put "Mattole Road" in Google Maps and check out an awesome driving road. It's a back road along California's Lost Coast (a rare section of coast where there is no highway), the western most point in the Lower 48. It looks divine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:33 am 

Thrilled that I can add to this thread.

Looking at a trip to the Dominican - one of the Melia resorts. First trip with the Romanian so any info would be helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:04 pm 
OTPoliceman

The mrs and I are making our annual pilgrimage to the Dorado Royale just south of Puerto Morelos on the Riviera Maya Monday for 11 days. Heading to Seattle tonight, flying out tmo. No kids. No stress. Just sun (hopefully).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:30 pm 

Thinking of the ultimate road trip?

http://www.drivetheamericas.com/

I must say, I've wondered if it could be done (and apparently, it can't quite be done, the section of Panama right at the Colombia border is nearly impossible to navigate and only adventurers have managed to do it, in the span of 50+ days; also on the Columbia side is where the druglord rebels are). Of course, once you're down in Tierra del Fuego, what the hell do you do? Drive all the way back, I suppose. I did a quick look to see if you could go back around the Atlantic side of South America, and it looks possible at least up to Guyana... you may have to get creative to go from Guyana to Venezuela, though (looks like you can go back into Brazil and into Venezuela from the south, at least).

You might want to take at least a full year to do the whole there and back thing, though. Gives a whole new meaning to doing a road trip across America, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:13 pm 

Anyone ever done a trip down the Oregon Coast? I still don't know if this vacation is a go, but I want to do it quite badly and I have friends interested in it.

Basically, I know I'm going to the Sasquatch! Festival at the Gorge @ George, WA on Memorial Day Weekend (May 29-31). It'll take me two travel days to get there, and then I'm looking at taking two weeks of work off after that to go on a vacation I had planned for a while... after a couple nights in Portland, I'd head for the Coast and drive along the Pacific as much as is possible all the way down to San Francisco, spending about 4 nights at different spots on the way. 3 nights in San Fran, then a hellish drive back in as little time as possible (I figure two days is possible, 3 more sane).

I figure some of you freaky West Coast hippies may have done this trip before. I actually saw on Butch's Facebook that he did the San Fran thing last year and had some fun going through the redwoods in Northern Cali. I've wanted to do this trip for, believe it or not, ten years now. I planned a trip like this for me and my friends just out of high school.

As for the Bay Area: checked out baseball games, Atheletics/Angels seem to be the game when I'm there, and since it's in Oakland it'll be cheap, so that's doable. And of course, hammer will be pulling for the Sharks to still be playing at that time.

There ain't much time left to do this kind of road trip with friends. Things like marriage, kids, mortgages are creeping up on the old group, even though we don't talk about it. Two years ago I went with the guys to Sasquatch and thought it would be the last time, and while I skipped last year here we are again. I'm somewhat surprised I can still do this, so I'm not going to waste this chance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:51 pm 

The above trip won't happen as planned, definitely no Bay Area excursions. Maybe I'll be going to some coastal places in Oregon, I don't know. It'll be a smaller trip, that's all I know. Anyways, that's not what's on my mind anymore.

I've started telling people face to face my idea of doing a working holiday in Melbourne next year if things don't pick up for me career wise. My sort of roommate (living with his girlfriend now mostly, still paying rent so bonus) mentioned he and his lady are taking scuba classes for a trip to Hawaii in October, so I think I'll take them as well.

I'm kind of have a "fuck, why not?" look on life and am starting to plan for this. I'm going to put a couple grand aside immediately and see where I'll be by the fall. If I'm working two jobs all summer, that's what I'll do.

Time to get moving.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:00 pm 
Big in Japan

saskhab wrote:
I'm kind of have a "fuck, why not?" look on life and am starting to plan for this.

Yup, that's me. I'm young and have been working since I was 18. I'm ready to drop everything at a moment's notice and 'live' when the opportunity arises.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:28 pm 
Distinguished Gentleman of OTP

Yes absolutely do it now as you don't have a significant other or kids to slow you down. If you wait it might not ever happen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:51 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

RW wrote:
Yes absolutely do it now as you don't have a significant other or kids to slow you down. If you wait it might not ever happen.

Seconded. :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:17 am 

saskhab wrote:
The above trip won't happen as planned, definitely no Bay Area excursions. Maybe I'll be going to some coastal places in Oregon, I don't know. It'll be a smaller trip, that's all I know. Anyways, that's not what's on my mind anymore.

I've started telling people face to face my idea of doing a working holiday in Melbourne next year if things don't pick up for me career wise. My sort of roommate (living with his girlfriend now mostly, still paying rent so bonus) mentioned he and his lady are taking scuba classes for a trip to Hawaii in October, so I think I'll take them as well.

I'm kind of have a "fuck, why not?" look on life and am starting to plan for this. I'm going to put a couple grand aside immediately and see where I'll be by the fall. If I'm working two jobs all summer, that's what I'll do.

Time to get moving.

I've done the Oregon coast trip. I've probably covered more of North America on land than 99% of the population and this would probably be my favorite stretch of highway. Absolutely spectacular. If you are short on time though consider going to Astoria Ore. Great turn of the century architecture built from shipping money. Nice touristy waterfront and definitely spend a couple hours at the Coast Guard museum. The Columbia river pounds into the face of the Pacific creating the worlds most dangerous tidal waters. Fascinating history. Going south check out the Dunes for sure and seal park mating sanctuary.

If you're short on time then consider heading north up the Wash coast. The road doesn't stick to the coast like Oregon does but it intersects at some amazing beaches all the way up. If you do go this way consider heading north to Bellingham and taking the North Cascades highway back through Wash, another beautiful drive and from there you can veer up into the Okanogan in BC and take 3 highway back or go straight through to Spokane and then jog up to Calgary.

And if you do pick up your diving ticket, you may just want to head to BC, Vancouver island has the best cold water diving in the world and according to Jacques Cousteau is second overall only to the Red Sea.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:16 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

RW wrote:

Sage advice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:53 am 
Loves The Cock

the razzman has arrived in San Diego for his gf's work conference. had to be up at 2 and at the airport for 3 for a flight that didnt leave til 730... but all is well now...

san diego is a low approach... as in, holy fuck we're gonna hit that building low...

initial observations - this city is incredibly clean, there are no homeless people to speak of, the locals are incredibly chill and laid back, and traffic downtown is NOTHING like it is in Vancouver.

the mall is 5 storeys, and its outdoor - amazing concept. beautiful, and lots of stores we dont have up in that damn Canada...

on the other hand, this city is fucking expensive... the restaurants dont exactly pull any punches...

the uss midway museum is on the aircraft carrier... and its fucking gigantic... apparently there's a poker tournament on it tommorrow.... yeehaw...

zoo tommorrow, seaworld at some point hopefully... this place rocks...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:24 am 

Kabul - Kandahar - Dubai - Tarranna - and finally Vancouver for the Olympics. Tickets to Moguls (should be a rainout), short and long track speed skating and a few days of skiing at Sun Peaks. Will be nice to be home for a a couple weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:19 pm 

The Little Québécoise gets to be a big shot this spring at a conference in northern Norway (Tromsø), so we're going to take a little jaunt to Norway and then Finland in the third week of May. If anyone needs some checkered curling pants, please give me at least two weeks' notice.

Yay, I get to turn 32 in the land of Jyrki Lumme!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:24 pm 
Old Man of the Post

My mom's health is starting to be a real concern; so we are planning to go to Vancouver (again... yay.) in June for a couple of weeks.

Just heard that my dad's brother just got admitted to the ICU in Arkansas. That probably means a trip to the Walmart home office is in my future. Yay.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 653 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next