OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:08 pm 
OTP Historian

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
My mom's health is starting to be a real concern; so we are planning to go to Vancouver (again... yay.) in June for a couple of weeks.

Just heard that my dad's brother just got admitted to the ICU in Arkansas. That probably means a trip to the Walmart home office is in my future. Yay.

Sorry to hear about your Mom, tCL :x How's your uncle doing?

I think we've decided on BodyHoliday le Sport in St. Lucia for our Honeymoom. Has anyone here been to St. Lucia before?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:01 pm 
Old Man of the Post

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
My mom's health is starting to be a real concern; so we are planning to go to Vancouver (again... yay.) in June for a couple of weeks.

Just heard that my dad's brother just got admitted to the ICU in Arkansas. That probably means a trip to the Walmart home office is in my future. Yay.

Not so good. He passed away last Monday night. Couldn't go to the funeral on Thursday, but my dad and sister were able to go. Sad really; he was estranged from his own children in the end. He had more friends in attendance than family. He was the kind of guy who would call you up with his latest get rich quick scheme, which essentially involved giving him $10,000 so he can turn it into $1,500 in a year! Of course, he gets to spend the other $8,500...

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
I think we've decided on BodyHoliday le Sport in St. Lucia for our Honeymoom. Has anyone here been to St. Lucia before?

Hear nothing but good things about St. Lucia...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:39 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

BoscUlrichIII wrote:

Not so good. He passed away last Monday night. Couldn't go to the funeral on Thursday, but my dad and sister were able to go. Sad really; he was estranged from his own children in the end. He had more friends in attendance than family. He was the kind of guy who would call you up with his latest get rich quick scheme, which essentially involved giving him $10,000 so he can turn it into $1,500 in a year! Of course, he gets to spend the other $8,500...

BoscUlrichIII wrote:

Hear nothing but good things about St. Lucia...

Sorry to hear about that...sounds like a very sad, very complicated situation that will now never be resolved.

Wow, quite eventful lives we are all leading right now. Sorry to hear about the axe, Robin...hopefully you'll get it back in your hands sometime soon. They used to shoot men who stole another man's horse, same should go for a Les Paul.

I will keep you all posted on the deets as I get them. It's about 99% in the bag, barring some sudden influx of cash that magically wipes away all of our debt. Neither of us is thrilled about it--both of us love it here--but it's the difference between getting by and getting ahead. I will be an 8-hour drive away. Actually not terrible once you get used to it. My grand hope is that with more money I will be able to actually enjoy Colorado more than I do now and not take it for granted seeing as how I have never lived anywhere else my entire life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:04 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Might be going to my first ever Twins game! After the Sasquatch! Festival, the Twins are in Seattle and so it sounds like me and my friends will be heading there on June 1 to catch the game at Safeco. After that, heading down to Portland to experience the Willamette Valley for a couple of nights. Then, we're looking at a day trip to the Coast, not sure if we'll spend the night out there or head back late to Portland. Then it's a couple long driving days back to Saskatoon. Usually we go through Montana, but I'm going to suggest on the way back to go through the Kootenays (go via Montana on the way there). Never been up that way, so it could be a nice drive. Can't determine how far we can drive on that first day, mainly because we have to decide if we spend the night on the Coast or not. I figure we can make it really close to the border, but not bother crossing it until early the next morning.

Anyways, looking at doing whale watching tours out of Depoe Bay or Newport on the Oregon Coast. Depoe Bay is the town that they filmed the fishing scene in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, while Newport is the city that has the Oregon Coast Aquarium, which once housed Keoki, the orca of Free Willy fame. If we spend the night, I'm thinking of the town of Pacific City, which has an awesome beach area/sand dunes around Cape Kiwanda. There's also a huge sea stack off shore called Haystack Rock, and I think that'd be a fantastic place to spend an evening and get a great sunset. There's another Haystack Rock that's more famous up in Cannon Beach (and is literally on the beach, rather than in the ocean), but that's a little ways away. I guess Pacific Beach is a big surfing town... I don't surf, maybe by next year I'll have tried it, though.

I've always wanted to go to Oregon, and experience the coast, so I'm quite excited. It's not my dream vacation there, but a nice sampling.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:51 am 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Av-merican wrote:
I will keep you all posted on the deets as I get them. It's about 99% in the bag, barring some sudden influx of cash that magically wipes away all of our debt. Neither of us is thrilled about it--both of us love it here--but it's the difference between getting by and getting ahead. I will be an 8-hour drive away. Actually not terrible once you get used to it. My grand hope is that with more money I will be able to actually enjoy Colorado more than I do now and not take it for granted seeing as how I have never lived anywhere else my entire life.

What part of Nebraska are you looking to move to?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:21 pm 

Well, Av, I know Nebraska doesn't sound particularily sexy, and I've never been, but as a Flatlander I must say I hope you can find the beauty in the simplicity of the landscape. I don't know any Nebraskans, and obviously you know at least one quite well, so I can't attest to their people at all.

But I can say this: if it is Omaha that you are heading to, there are plenty of worse options. From what I can tell, Omaha is a good sized city situated in a river valley and seems to have a decent arts community, so it's got a certain Saskatoon thing going on. :) Then again, Winnipeg fits that description as well (and is of similar size), and it still sucks. So you never know.

If it's a smaller place like Lincoln or even smaller, best to make the most of the opportunities that are provided there. If you can get involved in something you love, you might become a community leader in that regard.

Just typed in driving distances on Google... looks like you'll be moving to around Omaha. When you are around the Missouri, take comfort in the fact that there's a bit of Saskatchewan water is flowing in there. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 pm 
OTP Historian

saskhab wrote:
If it's a smaller place like Lincoln or even smaller, best to make the most of the opportunities that are provided there. If you can get involved in something you love, you might become a community leader in that regard.

Don't ask Dallas Green about his opinion of Lincoln :P

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:05 am 

Decided against planning the whale watching tour as the weather is too unpredictable for that. With only one day slotted for the coast, we're just going to enjoy the shoreline instead. Heading to Cannon Beach for the day out. It's closer than those spots, and I might head up to Astoria as well. We'll see how we're doing that day.

So it's looking like this: Go to the Sasquatch! Music Festival in George, WA via Montana. Get up on the Tuesday after the festival and head to Seattle: watch Twins vs. Mariners! Then get up and head down the I-5 to Portland. Hopefully Mt. St. Helen's doesn't blow.

Spend 3 nights in Portland, with a day trip to Cannon Beach worked in there. Anyone got any favourite Portland spots? I've got plenty of room on the list of places to go... really, I only have one restaurant (Norma's Kitchen, creole food out on an island), one hotel pub (hotel is owned by a brewery), and one coffee shop that I'm looking at.

I have to assume SOME of you PAC NWers have some Portland experience you can pass my way...

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:47 pm 
Old Man of the Post

I've only been to Portland once or twice... There are some good microbreweries there - for one (business) dinner, we went to a microbrew / restaurant. Can't tell you how the food was but the beer was quite good. Of course, I can't tell you what business was discussed either. Might have been Bridgeport. Bring an umbrella; Portland gets more rain than Vancouver or so I've been told.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:22 pm 

I've only been to Portland once or twice... There are some good microbreweries there - for one (business) dinner, we went to a microbrew / restaurant. Can't tell you how the food was but the beer was quite good. Of course, I can't tell you what business was discussed either. Might have been Bridgeport. Bring an umbrella; Portland gets more rain than Vancouver or so I've been told.

Don't have data for the city itself, but Vancouver airport experiences 9 more rainy days a year than Portland, and 8 more snow days. Total precip is 1199mm per year in Vancouver, 952mm per year in Portland. In June (when I'm there) it's 54.8mm in Vancouver, but only 37.6mm in Portland. My basic understanding is that Seattle is the wettest of the 3, followed by Vancouver and then Portland, but I'm not bothering to fully confirm that. Not sure where Victoria would rank.

All that is from Wikipedia, who are never wrong about anything.

I'll have a look see about this Bridgeport brewpub, though. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:32 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Off to Norway (and Finland) everyone... enjoy the third round!

I'll probably chime in from time to time from over there; supposed to have decent WiFi and I've got my iPod Touch. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:36 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Booked in now to go to Costa Rica to learn to Surf and generally chill out for a week. Pretty excited, something the Wife and I have been wanting to get around to for some time now.

http://www.surfsimply.com/

Anyone done anything like this? been to Costa Rica's West coast? Flown into Liberia? Any info really....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Later gators and haterz: I'm taking my new set of wheels (dubbed The Magnificent Three) on a roadtrip starting tomorrow morn:

Rock N Roll HOF
Pro Football HOF
The Jake
Warhol Museum
PNC Park
Amish Country (time permitting)
Yankee Stadium
Coney Island 4th of Joo-ly

Seven days of open rust belt road.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Just got back to MTL, and I did everything on that list and more (no Amish). But most importantly the trip was about the driving. Me, my bro and my Mazda 3 established the following unofficial time trial records:

Pointe-Claire, Quebec, Canada to Cleveland, Ohio: 9 hours, 15 minutes, including border stop and two breaks

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to corner of 31st/Park in midtown Manhattan: 8 hours, 10 minutes, including 45-minute break at Hooters in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

Corner of 31st/Park in midtown Manhattan to Pointe-Claire, Quebec, Canada: 6 hours, 10 minutes, including 30 minute border stop and one gas break

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:46 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

my longest vacation of the year just ended. and ended on a very very sad note

http://www.theprovince.com/news/killed+ ... story.html

my neighbour about 7 lots up. we didn't talk much, just waved as we passed each others cabins while boating, strolling the beach or try to knock each other kids off the tubes with massive waves we would create. sad sad. I've always mentioned to our local rep that we need to get more policing on our waterways, ESPECTIALLY when a local business is putting on a fireworks display, that gets more popular every year. we used to go to this event every year, we could literally have a game of football on the field as it wasn't that popular and kind of lame, but now its like the fireworks here in Vancouver, you can't move! ridicoulous!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:29 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Sorry to hear about it, Bumpy.

On a more pleasant note, my wife and I spent last sort-of-long weekend on a romantic getaway in Dr. Butch territory -- quite a fan of Burlington, a really nice place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:38 am 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Jyrki21 wrote:
Sorry to hear about it, Bumpy.

On a more pleasant note, my wife and I spent last sort-of-long weekend on a romantic getaway in Dr. Butch territory -- quite a fan of Burlington, a really nice place.

Vermont in General is a beautiful place. I used to love going there when I lived in Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:49 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

anyone ever gone camping in the oregon coast that could recommend a campground?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:58 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Hounsy wrote:
Booked in now to go to Costa Rica to learn to Surf and generally chill out for a week. Pretty excited, something the Wife and I have been wanting to get around to for some time now.

http://www.surfsimply.com/

Anyone done anything like this? been to Costa Rica's West coast? Flown into Liberia? Any info really....

I have been to Costa Rica and travelled and surfed much of the west coast for about a month. This was 1999, there were no surf resorts like that back then, I was backpacking and taking buses. I am pretty sure I spent a few days in Nosara and it was a cool little town with good surf but I am not sure. I hear Costa Rica has changed a lot so I am sure it is very different now but overall it was a really mellow place with nice beaches, good surf and cool jungles. The people were super mellow. I am sure you will have a great time - vaya con dios!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:12 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Just got back to MTL, and I did everything on that list and more (no Amish). But most importantly the trip was about the driving. Me, my bro and my Mazda 3 established the following unofficial time trial records:

Pointe-Claire, Quebec, Canada to Cleveland, Ohio: 9 hours, 15 minutes, including border stop and two breaks

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to corner of 31st/Park in midtown Manhattan: 8 hours, 10 minutes, including 45-minute break at Hooters in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

Corner of 31st/Park in midtown Manhattan to Pointe-Claire, Quebec, Canada: 6 hours, 10 minutes, including 30 minute border stop and one gas break

You went to the new Yankee Stadium before I did. :lol: You should have told me you were in the area.

Going to Lake George for a week. Should be fun. I've only been in the town for a few hours in the past. Once at night to play pick-up hockey and once at a boring conference.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 33  Next