OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: CONSUMER AWARENESS
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:45 am 
OTP Historian

Have you all had any luck purchasing cell phone batteries? I bought one a while back for my aging Note 2 that said and looked like OEM but with a slightly different code, but it wasn't much of an improvement over the 4-year old OEM.

Bought a powerbear one for Anam's Galaxy S5. Hopefully an improvement since she's down to like a couple of hours of life on the original one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:31 pm 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Had already purchased a 2-puck black display case from Amazon. Wanted a 2nd.

Purchased a 2-puck black display case temporarily out of stock on Amazon. 6 months pass and nothing. So they cancel the order. Even though the case is available from the company that makes them, as a 3rd party seller. Just way more expensive so I guess they can't get it at the listed price. So change the fucking price?

Purchased a 3-puck red display case. Then it goes temporarily out of stock. Arrives, one side is all busted. Return it. Then, it goes from temporarily out of stock to 1 in stock. So I buy it and say to Anam watch it be the same fucking busted one. We'll see what happens.

This happened with a bluetooth speaker I bought "certified refurbished" on Amazon......it had a strange buzz and I noticed one dude had commented on it in the reviews...I told him I got the same one and after that 2 more people commented they had received the buzzing one and returned it. Must have found some frequency deaf bloke to finally take it. That's Amazon QA right there....and why I don't buy anything "refurbished" from them anymore. Their partner site is WOOT and that place is a dumping ground for failed/defective products.

Yeah I'm generally wary of buying refurb.

It's coming from somewhere in PA rather than the amazon warehouse around here so that's a good sign at least.

It came and it wasn't busted up!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Bought glasses on the internet, a company called Zenni. Dirt cheap, but I know so many people who use them and love their product. Got mine in the mail and they're tight: specifically the lenses are kinda big and the ear holder thingies are too straight, meaning they jam into my temples. Website recommends heating them in water or with a hair dryer and bending them till they fit. Lenses are nice, though.

Anyways, not sure they were worth the trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:05 am 
Big in Japan

Rolled up to my Airbnb at 11 pm tonight. Covered in pubes and bugs. Place hadn't been cleaned in a while. On the phone with Airbnb and got my refund within the hour, but it also meant having to leave the place and finding another room to stay in. So not great.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:53 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Rolled up to my Airbnb at 11 pm tonight. Covered in pubes and bugs. Place hadn't been cleaned in a while. On the phone with Airbnb and got my refund within the hour, but it also meant having to leave the place and finding another room to stay in. So not great.

Fuuuck, that sucks dude.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:21 am 
Big in Japan

My Airbnb experience wasn't as bad as this one, but this gives a good idea of what's happened to the website: taken over by scammers and the company doesn't give a shit.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43k7 ... -on-airbnb

I'm sure I'll have to use it again at some point, but if I have the option of taking a hotel, I will going forward.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:47 pm 
Big in Japan

After years of futile resistance, more and more Montreal concerts are starting to fall under the spectre of Ticketmaster. What a garbage website that intentionally uses obfuscation to trick into paying more for tickets. Not sure how the rest of you have managed for so long. Will definitely be buying my tickets at the venues from now on.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:20 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
After years of futile resistance, more and more Montreal concerts are starting to fall under the spectre of Ticketmaster. What a garbage website that intentionally uses obfuscation to trick into paying more for tickets. Not sure how the rest of you have managed for so long. Will definitely be buying my tickets at the venues from now on.

We don't have a choice. :evil:

Pearl Jam tried to fight the good fight way back when. It was all for naught.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:13 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

Holy fuck this, fuck ticketmaster. Tried to get tickets to Alanis Morrisette for my wife, 2 of her friends and I. There's like 4 different fucking presales, nothing available. Get queued up for the general sale. Get into the room and the cheapest lawns are like $170 each. What the fuck. Take a closer look. They're fucking re-sales. The general release sale is showing the fucking resales at the top. I figure out how to exclude the resales and see the regular price down to $80. Click on it, wait, then it tells me they aren't available anymore. Repeat this like 10 times while they STILL FUCKING SHOW UP in the search results. Then, they disappear. Just garbage.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:49 am 
OTP Historian

So my wife and I are on a legacy 4+ year old cell phone plan with Rogers where we have unlimited everything and 2GB of shared data. We both work from home, so we never even use 2GB of shared data.

Wife's plan pricing was for when she was actually paying for the phone($85/month, my additional line is $40), but because of pricing changes, there are 0 savings whenever I have called them to switch to a newer monthly plan.

Rogers MINIMUM fucking plan starts at 10GB for $75. Additional line is $60 now. So $10 more for data we'll never use and no phone.

Yesterday I got an email about switching to 5GB for $45 per month. Well!

I call them up, they say that's for additional lines and I still have to pay for the $75 main line. So $120 per month for 15GB shared data that I will never use. I basically refuse that answer repeatedly that that is the cheapest plan they can offer. That's only 5 dollars cheaper than my current plan, which was even paying for a phone. I point out that their discount company FIDO has 2 4 6 8 and 10GB plans and I should be able to get something smaller than the 10+5. I've been with Rogers for so long.

FINALLY the second person I talked to was eventually like "Well if we unshare the lines, you can pay $45/month each for 2GB of data each." Well holy fucking shit! $35/month savings with 2GB each instead of shared! Done! This isn't shown on the website.

Fucking cell phone companies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:00 am 
OTP Historian

There's this...

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:
IME Oct 18 show postponed until "the new year". Boourns.

Fishy...

Oh yeah so this. The show was eventually cancelled and the ticket company refunded the cost of the ticket but not the service charges6/ticket so $12 bucks. I tweeted at them, the venue and IME saying that's fucking bullshit that the fans who bought the tickets are the ones who are eating the service charge costs for a cancellation that they had nothing to do with. On top of the fee I had to eat for the AirBnB cancellation. The total amount was $20 so it's not breaking the bank or anything but it's the fucking point. The fans are getting screwed for no reason. 750 tickets x $6 service charge = $4500 for no show.

A few days later, get a full refund saying that the venue is covering the service charge refund. So I doubled the refund and made a donation to a local food bank because I literally told my wife its about the principle not the amount.

Fucking complain if you think you're getting screwed.

Bought some toys from a site for the kids for xmas. Currency on the site is Canadian. Says that prices converted to US on checkout. Well, prices were charged in US, not converted to US. I email them and ask what's going on. They just say it's charged in US. I say well your website literally says it's shown in selected currency and then converted at checkout. They offer 10% discount. I say charge me the correct amount. They issue refund correction. Toys are on a boat from China, it appears.

How do you have a fucking ecommerce website that shows the local currency but doesn't actually convert the prices to that currency??? Good lord.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:19 pm 
OTP Historian

Was very happy with the Anker Soundcore Motion+ speaker purchase.

https://www.amazon.ca/Soundcore-Bluetoo ... B07P39MLKH

Costco had a deal on a pair of bluetooth earbuds from Anker that had good reviews, so I decided to pull the trigger. One bud was DOA, unfortunately, so will be going through the warranty process and see how that goes.

Bought Proslat Slatwall for my garage and one panel was missing from one of the box. They responded fast on Thursday and I received the new panel shipped from Quebec first thing this morning.

https://proslat.ca/collections/pvc-slatwall

I bought a set of their shelves as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:29 am 
OTP Historian

After demonstrating one of the earbuds is DOA, Soundcore said that they don't have a prepaid shipping option, so I have to repackage, send it off and then they will reimburse me. Then, they will do whatever and then send a replacement or repair.

I said that's garbage in a couple of responses to them and that they should be sending a replacement immediately so the customer who paid for the product gets a working product.

They eventually agreed to send one before receiving the replacement and said it would take 7-10 days. Shipping refund 3-5 days.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:48 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Bosc wrote:
After demonstrating one of the earbuds is DOA, Soundcore said that they don't have a prepaid shipping option, so I have to repackage, send it off and then they will reimburse me. Then, they will do whatever and then send a replacement or repair.

I said that's garbage in a couple of responses to them and that they should be sending a replacement immediately so the customer who paid for the product gets a working product.

They eventually agreed to send one before receiving the replacement and said it would take 7-10 days. Shipping refund 3-5 days.

Sucks you had to go through all of that, but at least your new ones are on the way. Hope work!

I just had a go-round with Canada Post. Ordered custom hockey sticks for Miss18.2. Got a tracking # on the 12th but no updates as of the 21st. Chatted with CP and they said too bad, that I wouldn't see anything until it went through customs, and the guy blamed the USPS for the delay. :lol: I pointed out the sticks were going from Montreal to NY and then he backtracked.... Anyway, a few hours later I got actual updates and will have her sticks in a week. Only about 9 weeks after ordering. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:55 pm 
Big in Japan

My wife bought a pillow online from Casper on what was formerly called The Shopping Channel. For 100$ the supposed memory foam pillow was rock hard and never conformed to her head. Came with a 100 day free return policy, which was complicated at first (the hotline sucks), but once we talked to a person it went fast. Refund processed in a week.

So I wouldn't recommend Casper pillows or TSC, to be honest. Too many hoops to jump through.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:50 am 
OTP Historian

Got the earbuds and got them both working on the work laptop, which was the primary reason for the purchase. Did not get them both working with the phone yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:06 pm 
OTP Historian

Does anyone have experience or recommendations for a toaster oven with air fryer function? Reviews are all over the place and the cheaper ones( less than $200 ) seem to be all over the place with issues.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
Does anyone have experience or recommendations for a toaster oven with air fryer function? Reviews are all over the place and the cheaper ones( less than $200 ) seem to be all over the place with issues.

Never had a toaster oven/air fryer combo but I don't think I've ever been happy with a 2-in-1 appliance. Closest all-in-one I've ever had was the Instant Pot, but even then I found myself preferring the stove for rice and the slow cooker for slow cooking. Air fryers are so inexpensive now I'd say just go for a real one and keep your toaster if it still works.

I've been tempted to get an air fryer but having fried foods, even with a fraction of the oil, seems like asking for trouble. Fried food is too addictive :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:28 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Never had a toaster oven/air fryer combo but I don't think I've ever been happy with a 2-in-1 appliance. Closest all-in-one I've ever had was the Instant Pot, but even then I found myself preferring the stove for rice and the slow cooker for slow cooking. Air fryers are so inexpensive now I'd say just go for a real one and keep your toaster if it still works.

I've been tempted to get an air fryer but having fried foods, even with a fraction of the oil, seems like asking for trouble. Fried food is too addictive :lol:

To me it's about the space saving. We have a really nice stove, and still have what feels like 234 additional kitchen items that are always in the way. Air fryer, toaster oven, microwave, old Foreman grill, old rotisserie oven, waffle maker, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Need another storage room off the kitchen just for all the shit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:38 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
To me it's about the space saving. We have a really nice stove, and still have what feels like 234 additional kitchen items that are always in the way. Air fryer, toaster oven, microwave, old Foreman grill, old rotisserie oven, waffle maker, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Need another storage room off the kitchen just for all the shit.

Totally. My wife and I live in an apartment and we've had to make some tough choices. No microwave, no airfryer, no rice cooker, no panini press, regular slim toaster. Turned down my mom's Foreman, even though I love it. French press and Nespresso over bulky machine. Cast iron skillet for everything else. Slow cooker, raclette in cupboard. Margaritaville prominently placed because it rules.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next