OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: CONSUMER AWARENESS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:31 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
To me it's about the space saving. We have a really nice stove, and still have what feels like 234 additional kitchen items that are always in the way. Air fryer, toaster oven, microwave, old Foreman grill, old rotisserie oven, waffle maker, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Need another storage room off the kitchen just for all the shit.

Totally. My wife and I live in an apartment and we've had to make some tough choices. No microwave, no airfryer, no rice cooker, no panini press, regular slim toaster. Turned down my mom's Foreman, even though I love it. French press and Nespresso over bulky machine. Cast iron skillet for everything else. Slow cooker, raclette in cupboard. Margaritaville prominently placed because it rules.

Ah yes, thanks for reminding me we have 2 rice cookers (one for smaller sizes- no clue why!), a slow cooker, propane BBQ (mandatory in suburbs), Charcoal BBQ (were on a road trip and were told the place had them to use- nope!), and I'm sure more shit I can't even think of. I don't even like food that much! Well not food I make anyway.

I keep saying we should do away with our chairs and I'll build benches on top of storage compartments for all this shit. Basically kitchen cabinets set on the floor with a lid and cushions. For that diner feeling at home! Since we have as many fucking appliances as a diner.

My wife keeps watching all those Tiny Home shows and saying we should get one for a vacation house. I just laugh at how many sheds we'd need nearby to house all the shit we don't need.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:06 pm 
Big in Japan

I paid $150 for Sorel winter boots 2.5 years ago, thinking they'd be heavy duty enough to survive a few Montreal winters. After winter one the insoles and inserts got bent out of shape, year two they started eating up my socks and making holes through friction, and now this winter the rubber parts (supposedly near indestructible) have developed rips.

Pretty disappointed in this one beloved Canadian brand. My dad owned a pair for 20 years. I guess the high-end models last a little longer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:38 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I paid $150 for Sorel winter boots 2.5 years ago, thinking they'd be heavy duty enough to survive a few Montreal winters. After winter one the insoles and inserts got bent out of shape, year two they started eating up my socks and making holes through friction, and now this winter the rubber parts (supposedly near indestructible) have developed rips.

Pretty disappointed in this one beloved Canadian brand. My dad owned a pair for 20 years. I guess the high-end models last a little longer.

Nothing is made to last anymore, unless you spend over $250 on boots. Which sounds insane. Until you destroy $150 boots in 2.5 years.

https://moneywise.com/managing-money/budgeting/boots-theory-of-socioeconomic-unfairness

One of my favorite authors discusses the matter quite directly, although on a different economic scale.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:05 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

Geez, that stinks :x Hopefully the pair of Sorel boots that we got for Anam lasts longer, but she doesn't wear them all the time during the winter.

I bought a pair of Kamik boots when we were in Montreal. Hopefully those last as long as my old pair of Rockports. Those were cheap and chewed through laces but lasted a really long time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:57 am 

This is more funny than bad, but I got a completely empty envelope from Amazon yesterday. My wife asked if I'd ordered a sticker or something because the envelope was so flat... Nope. Empty. Definitely not the 18" cable with 2" diameter connections at each end that I'd ordered. :roll: Took 20 minutes on the phone but they're sending me another. Had to call because their online choices all include returning the "wrong or damaged" item. I had nothing to return. Still took three times explaining that to a rep. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:38 am 

This one's just weird. Ordered Thule bars for my wife's newish car through Amazon. Took the cheapest option, which included free shipping. It was like $12 cheaper than other options. I could drive 2 miles and get Thule bars for like $25 more than I paid. These are coming from Japan. What the hell? Thule stuff is made in Europe (mainly Sweden), Brazil and here in the US. How is it cheaper to get them from Japan, including shipping like 7000 miles???
I double checked- they're new bars, not used. Strange.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:08 am 
King of Men

Chris18 wrote:
This one's just weird. Ordered Thule bars for my wife's newish car through Amazon. Took the cheapest option, which included free shipping. It was like $12 cheaper than other options. I could drive 2 miles and get Thule bars for like $25 more than I paid. These are coming from Japan. What the hell? Thule stuff is made in Europe (mainly Sweden), Brazil and here in the US. How is it cheaper to get them from Japan, including shipping like 7000 miles???

If it were me I would cancel that immediately. Amazon is rife with counterfeit products. Quite honestly I do not order anything that is not listed as PRIME. You have very little to no recourse on Amazon when buying through 3rd party sellers (other than a card charge back) and their customer service is dreadful.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:19 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

If it were me I would cancel that immediately. Amazon is rife with counterfeit products. Quite honestly I do not order anything that is not listed as PRIME. You have very little to no recourse on Amazon when buying through 3rd party sellers (other than a card charge back) and their customer service is dreadful.

It was through Prime and it was a recommended Amazon purchase due to the price. I'll see how it looks when I get it in a few days. If it looks fake I'll return it.
I've had good experiences with Amazon after getting fake items. The seller wouldn't accept a return so Amazon refunded my money and I got to keep the stuff. Low quality stuff, but it still ended up being free. We'll see what happens here.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:24 pm 
King of Men

Good luck I have had nothing but issues with 3rd party non-prime sellers. Unfortunately, I will only use the blue Prime with the check mark.....because they can also add to listings PRIME (listed in Black or as prime free delivery) but then on the backend not be supported or once you click on it its not listed as PRIME. I have had very questionable interactions on Amazon but at least with the blue prime and check mark they have to honor returns. I hope it works out.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:24 pm 

Sorry to hear that Jay, I've actually had no issues with third party sellers. Not sure if I've been lucky or you've had a streak of bad luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 7:27 pm 

Yeah I've always had good luck so far. Hoping that continues.

I will say I'm kind of annoyed at Thule. My wife's car and my truck use the same bars and feet, just a different fit kit. I figured I'd buy the whole set for her car and if I never need it for my truck, I could just get the fit kit for the truck. The fit kits used to take seconds to take off, and were easily interchangeable. They'll still come off, but the clamps don't exactly look easy to remove and I'd say they'll get scratched to hell if I try it. So I'm kind of pissed. But I should know to expect that these days. Can't have people sharing things easily between their own vehicles! Gotta feed the consumption monster!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 8:35 am 

The Thule bars seem like actual Thule bars. The box has all the info it should, instructions look good, and the bars look to be the usual quality. It's the current model... Wondering if this warehouse bought out a shop or distributor that went out of business or something like that.
If they're fake, I can't tell. Still weirded out that they came from Japan in a few days for cheaper than I could get them locally, but sometimes that's the world we live in. Could also be a "shop" that is just one person sitting in their house with no overhead, figuring out how to advertise well enough on Amazon to move enough stuff at a profit margin that wouldn't support a brick & mortar shop, but can easily support a person with a computer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:06 pm 

LG microwave- piece of shit. Thing isn't even 2 years old and is all rusty inside. We have been leaving it open most of the time for over a year, since it always had condensation in it. Vents aren't blocked or anything like that. I called LG. One year warranty. If you use it with rust inside, it could supposedly catch fire pretty easily. Nice. We had a microwave for 30+ years but bought this new one because it was much bigger and supposedly better. Bullshit! Pure garbage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:16 pm 
Big in Japan

Paid 20K for a 2019 Toyota Corolla four years ago, had only 28,000 km on it. It's now at 82K (so less than 60K in four years), and we've already had to repair the AC unit twice (1500$ each time), breaks are shot, exhaust is shot, rear window exploded from an outdoor temperature change, and generally nothing seems to work properly on it. As Adam Sandler once sang, "it's a piece of shit car."

Modern cars with all electrical insides are trash. One misplaced wire and it's 1200$ just to open the unit. It costs 500$ just to inspect the back breaks because they're built as one solid unit you need to open.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:50 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Paid 20K for a 2019 Toyota Corolla four years ago, had only 28,000 km on it. It's now at 82K (so less than 60K in four years), and we've already had to repair the AC unit twice (1500$ each time), breaks are shot, exhaust is shot, rear window exploded from an outdoor temperature change, and generally nothing seems to work properly on it. As Adam Sandler once sang, "it's a piece of shit car."

Modern cars with all electrical insides are trash. One misplaced wire and it's 1200$ just to open the unit. It costs 500$ just to inspect the back breaks because they're built as one solid unit you need to open.

Wow. I've always found Toyotas to be the best built cars, but yeah, everything going electronic is a way of taking the wrench out of the owner's hands and into the dealer's hands to avoid voiding warranties. Fucking bullshit.
Sorry to hear that!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:07 am 
King of Men

Sadly, the Corolla since mid 2000s itself is a junk. I had a Matrix, very unmanly, Anyway, this is the model that Toyota skimps on. Find yourself a used Lexus and you'll be happy. Getting a lemon car is never fun...I have one of those outside in a 2006 Acura MDX.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:42 pm 
OTP Historian

Found the drainage issue with my Bosch dishwasher. Kinked drain hose.

2014 Santa Fe went into limp mode a week ago. Threw a knock sensor code. Went to the dealer. Connecting rod bearing failure is very common and a lifetime warranty engine replacement when it happens. After the $140 code read(refundable if the engine gets replaced), they are reporting that the bearing is passing the test and they are replacing the sensor($280 not refundable), then testing and sending results to Hyundai Canada to see if the block needs to be replaced.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:46 pm 

Bosc wrote:

How'd it get kinked?

My dishwasher drain hose broke years ago. Saw water on my kitchen floor a few weeks ago, which dripped into the basement. Figured it happened again, so I ordered parts (like $50), took the whole dishwasher apart and found- it was perfectly fine. Leak was the icemaker line, which really pissed me off because I had the icemaker fixed by a repair guy who charged me like $300, I did some plumbing work to prep for the job and the guy rolled his eyes at me, saying MY work is going to leak... Well dickhead, it's your shit that leaked! :chairshot: If that isn't home ownership in general, I don't know what is.

New microwave on the way. You don't realize how often you use your microwave until it shits the bed.

Good luck with the car!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:09 pm 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

How'd it get kinked?

When I installed it, I ran the new water line, electrical and drain hose through the previous hole in the cupboard and it kind of looped when I pushed it into place. Must have been pinched either at the side of the hole or by the water supply or electrical somewhere. Cut a new hole for a more direct turn and route to the plumbing separate from the supply and electrical.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:21 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:
Bosc wrote:

How'd it get kinked?

When I installed it, I ran the new water line, electrical and drain hose through the previous hole in the cupboard and it kind of looped when I pushed it into place. Must have been pinched either at the side of the hole or by the water supply or electrical somewhere. Cut a new hole for a more direct turn and route to the plumbing separate from the supply and electrical.

Gotcha. Such a fun job, right? I mean, they give you so much room to work... :chairshot:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next