OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: CONSUMER AWARENESS
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:59 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Schwinn/Nautilus/Bowflex

Seems after dealing with service these are all the same company now, anyway I have a Schwinn Elliptical that due to my own klutziness had the console unit on it go kaput. So E-mailed them the problem got went back a part number, cost, and phone number to call and order. Turns out I failed to say I was in Canada, but they did not hit me up to bad as was quoted $97 us plus shipping and ended up at $147 Canadian. Item showed up UPS in less than a week.

Very impressed with the process, cost, and speed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:30 pm 
Loves The Cock

i'm confused...

i just spent an hour on the phone with rogers... the customer service reps altered my plan for my blackberry, so i'll be saving a lot on both phone and wireless... but my curve is on the fritz so I need a new one...

They tell me I can have one for $469 bucks, but that I have to wait a month to be eligible for the upgrade.

I tell them I've been with them for 7 years, and I should be able to pay something to buy out that one month...

Sales guy says he'll see what he can do...

A different agent comes on the phone, and offers me the phone, now, for $260...

iiam:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:33 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

from what i learned in the telecom industry

-never get on contact

-if you can't avoid a contract, if you don't like what the guy is offering call back the next day and talk to someone else!

-i havn't been on a contract for a couple years now, and i basically get anything i want if you threaten to leave. You obviously won't get a brand new phone for free, but you will get a significant discount.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:59 pm 
OTP Historian

MrBumpNgrind wrote:
-if you can't avoid a contract, if you don't like what the guy is offering call back the next day and talk to someone else!

It's like that with insurance, too. It's fucked.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:49 am 
King of the One-Liner

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
MrBumpNgrind wrote:

I can only speak for home and auto, but if your getting different numbers it's because the coverage is changing that is being quoted.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:53 am 
Old Man of the Post

Hounsy wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
MrBumpNgrind wrote:

I can only speak for home and auto, but if your getting different numbers it's because the coverage is changing that is being quoted.

That would be correct. Want to save money on your auto insurance? Sure, just get the minimum that the law requires and you too can save hundreds now... But then you're also on the hook for anything that exceeds those limits...

I'm tCL and I approve this message.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:54 am 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
MrBumpNgrind wrote:

I think my Dad's been quoted a few different prices before on the same coverage, different people from the same company.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:27 am 

we dont really have that option here everything is icbc. well for basic.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:11 pm 
King of the One-Liner

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
MrBumpNgrind wrote:

I think my Dad's been quoted a few different prices before on the same coverage, different people from the same company.

At my Wife's company the prices are all computer generated based on coverage, deductibles, etc. and nobody and any level can change the outcome if the same input is used.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:18 pm 
OTP Historian

Hounsy wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Hounsy wrote:
BoscUlrichIII wrote:
MrBumpNgrind wrote:

At my Wife's company the prices are all computer generated based on coverage, deductibles, etc. and nobody and any level can change the outcome if the same input is used.

She doesn't work for Primmum, does she? :lol:

Don't know what they're using for input, then...

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:43 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Been doing some car shopping the last week and looked into the models I wanted to look at and in what configurations . So I tell the sales guys just looking at prices before I take the wife test driving and that want Auto, air conditioning, power locks and window, and a four banger and other bells and whistles are not important. Ford and Dodge priced me a high end configurations with much more stuff that asked for. Toyota said the base model has that and priced that. Off to see what Mazda does next.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:55 pm 
Big in Japan

Hey, I'm looking at buying a car too. My first new car, in fact. Tired of the hand-me downs and rust buckets.

Been looking to pick at Pontiac's corpse: they're practically giving away the 2009 G5 XFE Sedan
Also looking at a 2010 Mazda 3, and mayyyyyyyyybe a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer if I keep the purse strings closed this summer.

Any other suggestions for the single-person seeking car?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Hey, I'm looking at buying a car too. My first new car, in fact. Tired of the hand-me downs and rust buckets.

Been looking to pick at Pontiac's corpse: they're practically giving away the 2009 G5 XFE Sedan
Also looking at a 2010 Mazda 3, and mayyyyyyyyybe a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer if I keep the purse strings closed this summer.

Not as fancy but the four door Sentra I bought in spring '06(it's an '02) has had no problems except for a busted dipstick and cd player. Other than that, normal maintenance and tires. I've put 60k on it and haven't even had to do brakes.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:11 pm 
Old Man of the Post

If I was young and single, I'd give the Mini Cooper S a good look-see. BMW-built, fun car to drive, and a safe, solid vehicle despite it's size, and still affordable... A close friend of mine drives the convertible in LA; might be a little less practical in Montreal.

I'm going to start researching the Volvo models - my 12-year-old Nissan Pathfinder needs to be retired, and with my oldest going on 9 in November, a nice new Volvo bought new now would be a pretty good starter car for him in 7 years.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:13 pm 
OTP Clown

Get the 10 mazda 3.

It's fucking bitchin.

Get it with the 2.3 litre engine.

bam!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:17 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

I'm saving up for a couple years and buying me a flying car. I remember seeing this documentary when I was a kid that claimed they'd be everywhere by 2015.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:24 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:

If you want something that just gets you from point A to B with more substance than style, then get a Honda Civic. I've had NO complaints nearly a decade and 150,000 miles later.

If you still want substance but want a little more style, then get a Scion. Either xB or tC since you'd have to be C18's size to fit into an xA. Cali's bro got a tC for just a little more than I got my Honda and his had WAY more trimmings and sheer coolness than mine ever did. Scions are not just for little Asian kids who wish they were extras in "The Fast and the Furious."

I've simply been burned too fucking often by the Big 3 to even consider buying a car of theirs right now. If I'm to ever get another American car again I will have to have a lot more money to throw around so I can buy one of the more premium models. Avoid economical American-made cars like the plague IMHO. Keep in mind that Pontiac is getting phased out for a reason.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:47 pm 
King of the One-Liner

For what we need the Mazda 5 seems like a really solid option. It is the forerunner and they didn't screw with my head while I was there.

Gave us the base price with what we want added and then the next package above that separately priced with a list of the add ons and penned out the ones we had added to the base already.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:16 pm 
Big in Japan

No Scions in Canada yet.

I'll get a Honda Civic when I realize my life is over and the time has come to assimilate with the rest of the boring, starch-collared world. Parking one of those boxes downtown is a guarantee to get a window smashed, but Civic owners deserve it.

The Pontiac G5 isn't gangbusters, but gets equally as good gas mileage as the Civic and has more horsepower/bigger engine. I think we can all admit Pontiac's death isn't really directly related to the alleged crappiness of the brand, but much larger macro problems. It is insanely cheap though, they've really made it an attractive option despite the stigma. Other than that the American brands don't really have anything to offer - mostly big sedans and minivans. Chevy Cobalt looks exactly the same as the G5.

I would consider a VW Golf City or Jetta City, but those are a bitch to repair.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:49 pm 

E.L. wrote:
N

I would consider a VW Golf City or Jetta City, but those are a bitch to repair.

as a 2001 Golf Owner, i endorse this statement 100%

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next