OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 699 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gaming Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:13 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

im on the Greymane server.

Yah its nice to start fresh and by yourself. the best way for that is start
on a brand new server, where the economy isn't set yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:44 am 
King of the One-Liner

MrBumpNgrind wrote:
im on the Greymane server.

Yah its nice to start fresh and by yourself. the best way for that is start
on a brand new server, where the economy isn't set yet.

As a level 14 newbie I have no idea what an economy means to the game. I buy and sell at auction and seem to have more enough coin to buy what ever my character is capable of wearing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:25 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Completed the main quest of Fable II yesterday (I went through it at a snail's pace, and it was my roommate's game so he had first dibs). I should've stopped acting all goodie-too-shoes to the ignorant citizens on my last decision, though. I could still use my dog... could care less about my wives and other loved ones. I want my dog back, damn it!

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:18 pm 
OTP Historian

My fellow game players would enjoy this :D

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wSqFqhUzutg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:01 pm 
Not to be Confused with Evil Twin, Sock

Hounsy wrote:
Quote:
dude!!!!!!!!!! you should have mentioned it! joined my server i would have propped you up with some gold!

all other games have a shelf life, WoW doesn't seem to expire!

I could see starting a new character and wanting to go through stuff faster that being good, but first time through I wouldn't it be better to earn it the hard way?

What server are you on if I ever make a new guy?

There's some truth to earning it the hard way, but a little assistance can be very welcome. The games starts and keeps you poor for quite some time. Getting a few gold up front makes the game more enjoyable instead of tedious and frustrating.

BTW - I'm usually on Argent Dawn playing in the Battlegrounds. I know Hounsey's on a different server but I don't remember which. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I don't know much of the higher level stuff but at one time or another I have started every race and class.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:09 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I figured out early on to take advantage of the auction houses and I think to get well equipped and level up quicker that is the key. People pay well for simple things that I've mined, skinned, or find.

What do Shadowgems do at higher levels those things sell great and a good price for me?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:30 pm 
Not to be Confused with Evil Twin, Sock

Hounsy wrote:
I figured out early on to take advantage of the auction houses and I think to get well equipped and level up quicker that is the key. People pay well for simple things that I've mined, skinned, or find.

What do Shadowgems do at higher levels those things sell great and a good price for me?

The Auction House is your friend. I've made a good deal of money from it.

Shadowgems are materials used in mainly in Jewelcrafting. They are also used some in blacksmithing and engineering. Here is a great website http://www.wowhead.com/ that you can use to look up just about anything in the game. It's an invaluable resource.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:59 pm 
Illegitimate Luongo Child

every since JC came out and now Inscriptions, basic level mats are selling at crazy high prices. I had a whole bunch of low level gems from my miner duder, and one the new xpac came out, i sold them all for 10x the price. its crazy.

Its the people who switched profs that make it more expensive. They have all the money. Starting off from scratch now is actually alot easier then when i first started out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:55 am 
OTP Historian

EL you weren't kidding about Fallout 3. Amazing. It's like a crazy mix of Oblivion and Half Life 2 and I dunno what else. Gratuitous use of swearing, you can tell off a 9-year old girl who threw you a birthday party...in the first 10 minutes of the game! Make fun of some kid's mom's drinking problem...get outside and get yourself addicted to whisky and collect pieces of yard equipment to build weapons. I only bought the game Friday afternoon and I've only done the first update of the main quest.

"You...you killed my Dad!" Well your Dad attacked me so he ate some Louisville fucking slugger!

You can get some nasty shots when using shotguns and rifles close up like that picture in your article.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:31 am 
Loves The Cock

just got fallout 3, yeah, i'll be trading this one in quick... impossibly hard, running out of ammo, health disappears pronto... i cant get through those goddamn fire ants never mind going into their stupid nest... the VATS system is less effective than randomly shooting a dozen slugs into one of those fuckers.... interesting game concept but they made it WAY too difficult...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 am 
Old Man of the Post

Keep your head down, lest you be smacked upside the head by a purse...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:49 am 
Old Man of the Post

Lost and Damned - XBL exclusive... I found this very interesting. It's only available on XBL, and Microsoft paid $50M to keep Sony out of play. What I find most interesting is that it's available for download only; it will be interesting to see if this method of distribution will take off. Sure there've been XBL exclusives before, but none that would be considered top tier games that use XBL as the only means of distribution; it feels like the first step for iTunes or Netflix (streaming) for videogames.

Erik, what's your take on this? At $20, and about a third the size of GTAIV, it's more affordable, presents less risk to the consumer (since it's a derivative of a popular franchise), developer (since they aren't creating a new IP), and the publisher (they don't need to worry about burning and distributing disks, and significantly reduce their marketing costs), and could potentially drive more people to sign up for XBL.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:05 am 
Big in Japan

I'm a bit irritated about this because I lent my 360 copy of GTA4 to a friend because I originally played it on the PS3, and now I'm chasing him down trying to get it back. I don't have a 360 save file so I don't know how much of the game I'm required to play over again so I can suitably get into L&D.

Even worse though is Bethesda only sent me a PS3 version of Fallout 3, and Operation Anchorage (their add-on) is only available on 360 and PC.

My take on downloadable content is very positive. I love downloadable games, and add-on content can really provide a new way to appreciate games you already enjoyed. 20 bucks is understandably quite a bit, but L&D seems to be as long as some retail games.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:24 am 
Old Man of the Post

And the darkside of online exclusives...

Personally, I love the idea of picking up (gently used) Top Tier game like Assassin's Creed or Orange Box for a fraction of the cost, but I can see why publishers hate this idea. On the other hand, books get sold and re-sold all over the world and you don't hear publishers whine about it; of course, if there was a way for them to get a few shekels from each re-sale, I bet they'd jump at it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:00 pm 
OTP Historian

razzmatazz wrote:
just got fallout 3, yeah, i'll be trading this one in quick... impossibly hard, running out of ammo, health disappears pronto... i cant get through those goddamn fire ants never mind going into their stupid nest... the VATS system is less effective than randomly shooting a dozen slugs into one of those fuckers.... interesting game concept but they made it WAY too difficult...

That might be the hardest mission I encountered for ammo balance and health. Grenades and mines are your best friend in that mission. Save your money for ammo and stims. If it's too hard, go explore and pick up some stuff and come back to it.

Really easy way to get mines is to do the Minefield section for the Book mission. Go there, just crouch through the town disarming and picking up mines. If you enter and exit houses, the mines re-appear and you can arm/disarm them. Use em on the ants.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Don't do the ant mission until you get the appropriate flame retardant clothing and big arse weaponry.

That's what's great about FO3, if a mission is hard there are probably a million other things to do. Also if you're finding yourself shooting like a madman and blowing through ammo - try more sniping and strategic movements.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:57 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

I haven't played FO III yet, but I've completed FO I & II on the PC. Excellent games if you haven't tried them, though I thought FO was superior to the sequel. Excellent imagination went into those for sure.

Last edited by Captain Chaos on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:33 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Don't do the ant mission until you get the appropriate flame retardant clothing and big arse weaponry.

That's what's great about FO3, if a mission is hard there are probably a million other things to do. Also if you're finding yourself shooting like a madman and blowing through ammo - try more sniping and strategic movements.

Lincoln's Repeater is the shit eh. Amazing gun against humans.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:31 pm 
Loves The Cock

Grr.... alright I wont give up on it just yet, but the only other missions available are the Family (can't find em anywhere) and getting to the radio station, which is almost as tough as the damn ants...

I fucked up by using my upgrades on abilities other than combat... given that I am the world's worst video game shot, that was pure idiocy...

Is there a reason I do better against the ants just blasting the fuckers rather than targeting their antennae? Seems counter-intuitive to me...

btw E.L., will you be getting MLB 2k9 Front Office Manager? I did, and I love it, although, like NFL Head Coach, it will be way better next year once they work out the bugs and make some obvious improvements. Hey idiots, unless you go yard extra inning games only count the winning run, you dont clear the damn bases for an 8-5 win...

Playing with the Nationals and I'm four games below .500 30 games in... it will do...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:09 am 
OTP Historian

razzmatazz wrote:
Grr.... alright I wont give up on it just yet, but the only other missions available are the Family (can't find em anywhere) and getting to the radio station, which is almost as tough as the damn ants...

I fucked up by using my upgrades on abilities other than combat... given that I am the world's worst video game shot, that was pure idiocy...

Have you talked to the Supply Store broad in Megaton? She sends you on a whole bunch of parts for one bit quest for a book she's writing.

I despise first-person shooters with controllers, but FO3 seems like it was designed for a controller with the VATS and run n gun. Using the sniper rifle without VATS seems like it'd be a pain in the ass on a controller, but I probably just haven't used a controller enough, nor will I try using the gamepad for this. Keyboard and Mouse all the way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 699 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next