OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gaming Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 pm 
Big in Japan

You dig turn-based strategy RPG's like Shining Force and Final Fantasy Tactics? Banner Saga is your new crack.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:53 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
You dig turn-based strategy RPG's like Shining Force and Final Fantasy Tactics? Banner Saga is your new crack.

Will buy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:40 am 
King of Men

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

Will buy.

I'm in...oh nevermind steam only.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:57 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:

The owners of Candy Crush Saga want to own all of the words.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01 ... eam+RSS%29

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

This is the Kickstarter game I'm trying out now. So far pretty fun.

http://www.brokenagegame.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:53 am 
Big in Japan

Octodad is pretty much the best thing ever: http://store.steampowered.com/app/224480/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:59 am 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
Will buy.

I like this game. Pretty basic in terms of enemies, no weapon/armor upgrades(just some items) as you'd expect from an indie. But damn, on normal difficulty you're pecking away at enemies and your guys die and you restart the battle a lot. No matter how many enemies there are, you alternate turns until only one is left. So if you've killed 3/6 guys and you have 6 guys, they still get 6 turns. That's pretty damn annoying. I think it'll be more fun if I turn the difficulty down and stop running from battles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:03 pm 
OTP Historian

Bought Mass Effect 3 for $15 and I'll install it after I've got my SSD installed.

I like trains and I like maps. Has anyone played any Railroad Tycoon games and would I like them?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:15 am 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
nah....you can't read the ME3 ending....it must be.....experienced.

Finally got around to playing ME3. I have Sheppard wearing a full helmet so it's pretty funny watching him make out with Jack.

With the SSD installed, Windows loads before my TV even picks up the signal from the video card.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes out at the end of March. Open world Metal Gear Solid should be pretty interesting. Hopefully I'll have the basement finished and all 7.1 speakers up when I get it. Already have the new TV, center and sub are ordered.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:33 am 
Big in Japan

I can't afford to take a real vacation right now, so instead I'll just pick up Dark Souls 2.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:07 pm 
Big in Japan

I got Dark Souls 2 on 360. I'm going to take my sweet time with it. I really want to get into it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:07 pm 
OTP Historian

:chris18: In order to see the new ending content for Mass Effect 3, I have to go back to a fucking save prior to attacking the Cerberus base. For fucks sake, I just use quicksave, or overwrite old saves. I have no idea how far back I have to go now. I didn't specifically download it before I started playing, so I don't know if it automatically installs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:42 pm 
King of Men

Hmm yeah I tried to play it a second time through to see the new ending but never finished. Now the PS3 has YLOD for the second time!.....ugh....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:17 pm 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
Hmm yeah I tried to play it a second time through to see the new ending but never finished. Now the PS3 has YLOD for the second time!.....ugh....

If I don't have a save close to the Cerberus base, then I'll probably just say fuck it after I finish ME3 and start playing Ground Zeroes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:31 pm 
OTP Historian

Damn, 4 hours back to the comm hub, sanctuary and exploring...I'll probably do it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:00 am 
OTP Historian

Well, I was at the last mission so I played it to the end. When you finish it, it sends you back to the point where you attack the Cerberus base anyways, so that worked out.

I didn't think the ending was truly awful, but it really didn't seem to build on the whole Renegade/Paragon aspect from the entire series, nor did it really seem to draw from any consequences of your decision-making. That was kind a huge part of the series, so I guess I can see why people would be so pissed after 3 games. I wonder if the DLC will have any of that.

I think I'll play Ground Zeroes and come back to ME3 for the DLC ending, since Zeroes is supposed to be fairly short.

Not sure if I'll pick up the Diablo 3 expansion or move on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:45 pm 
King of Men

So I figured I would share this because...well i thought it was pretty cool. I have an old PS3 80G (put my own 500G drive in) that is backwards compatible....and also prone to the Yellow Light of Death over and over again (YLOD). Its a known defect. PS3 gets too hot.....sodder gets melted away chips lose their connection on the motherboard....game over. If anyone has gone through this you would realize that you it just happens one day and you lose everything on the PS3............consequently I usually back up my PS3 once every 6 months just so happens its been over a year and well it died.

If I send it back to Sony they just give you a refurb or try to get you to go with the 500 G slim model. Well I really didn't want to do that and go through losing and redownloading everything again.

So after reading several forums I chose to use a reball service from ps3repairshop.com based out of Florida. I also chose to go with the EZChill service which is an upgraded fan. I figured I probably could have done this myself but it would have only served to get my data off. This is my last attempt before I just go with the Slim model.

ps3repairshop.com has been pretty amazing so far. They send status updates and pictures that I thought I would share:

Quote:
The RSX Reball Service on your PS3 is in progress and we are happy to report the first six stages of the procedure have been completed:

1) Disassemble, then prepare the PS3’s main system board for visual inspection and RSX chip extraction. See attached images.
2) De-solder & remove RSX chip from the PS3’s main system board.
3) Perform visual inspection of the RSX chip and the corresponding BGA 1254 pads on the PS3’s main system board.
4) Remove original lead-free solder from the RSX chip and the corresponding pads on the main system board.
5) Reball the RSX chip with 1254 lead-tin eutectic solder spheres.
6) Reattach the RSX chip on to the main system board’s corresponding 1254 pads. See attached image.

The remaining steps are as follows and are often completed within 1-3 business days unless the symptom is still present at Stage 8 or reoccurs during Stage 9:

7) Remove protective Kapton tape from around RSX, apply Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound on RSX and CBE main processors.
8) Partially reassemble PS3 then perform short system test to check for elimination of YLOD / GLOD.
9) Perform optional services (such as EZ-Chill installation), replace heat-pads on secondary chips (if necessary), fully reassemble PS3, perform extended system tests.
10)Ship upon receipt of any applicable payment that is due.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:48 pm 
King of Men

Here are the pictures:
Attachment:
IMG-20140327-07952.jpg
IMG-20140327-07952.jpg [ 594.84 KiB | Viewed 6911 times ]

Attachment:
IMG-20140327-07953.jpg
IMG-20140327-07953.jpg [ 465.72 KiB | Viewed 6910 times ]

Notice the Plutonium dust build up! And I am pretty religious with my canned air. Also you can see that the Sony techs really didn't give a shit.

Attachment:
IMG-20140401-08017.jpg
IMG-20140401-08017.jpg [ 526.21 KiB | Viewed 6910 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:03 pm 
King of Men

On a side note.....I have my son's Xbox 360 hooked up and boy does that thing suck for Plex. Does not work with the thing that we use Plex for.

Doesn't play the majority of MP4 files with 5.1....only MKV and AVI. PS3 destroys it as far as a media extender.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:39 pm 
OTP Historian

Wait, your motherboard goes but your data is unrecoverable? Or does your hard drive go with the motherboard?

My wife's old laptop looks like its dead. I'm going to pull out the hard drive and see if it can be salvaged.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 35  Next