OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 699 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gaming Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:23 pm 
Big in Japan

I don't have many regrets about skipping the last two gens, but Ghost of Tsushima is definitely one of them.

I played Xenoblade Chronicles and World Ends With You the first time around. I played a lot of the former but never had time to beat it, and the second was confusing to me at the time. But both stayed with me and I think I would appreciate a second chance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:30 pm 
King of Men

Go with Persona 5 then. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:43 pm 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
Go with Persona 5 then. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

What's the overworld like? My wife likes the exploration/levelling up parts, while I do the dungeons and inventory. Part of the charm of Ni No Kuni was the huge world to explore.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:46 am 
King of Men

Not sure if you've played any of the other Persona series. Without exposing too much, They tend to revolve around a calendar, days and parallel planes that you jump between. There are activities to do within days such as relationship building and exploring within the city and going to highschool, part time jobs. Then there are what you would call dungeons to explore or complete as part of the story using Personas and forming bonds/acquiring demons. I am not going into that as its complicated. The battle system does allow easy access but mastering it takes a lot of work.

My only knock is that there is a lot going on and its very easy to miss nuances of the game. Often times you can cruise along and realize holy shit I should have been doing that. But maybe that's the point so its not one and done.

Its all very story heavy, unique and worth the investment (this one can be 200 plus hours if you want it).

This is a pretty good brief:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Update: ended up getting sidetracked by work after beating Ni No Kuni. I've got time next week to start something, and lo and behold Shenmue I, II and III bundle is on Steam sale for 25$. I bought em and I'm finally going to finish the trilogy 20 years after the fact.

I can't wait.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:43 pm 
OTP Historian

Busted out the Guitar Hero World Tour set for the first time in like 12 years and the kids are having fun.

Mario Kart Double Dash on the Gamecube, however, was a disaster.

We are looking at getting a Switch now for the Just Dance games. It would be cheaper than getting it for PC and our phones as controllers getting broken :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:28 am 
King of Men

Cyberpunk 2077....I initially bought this for the PS4 when it came off but shelved it when it would crash. A year later they seemed to have patched the bugs and I have a PS5. The game still crashes frequently...every hour or so...but the autosave feature and saving frequently plus the insanely quick load times from the PS5 make this a minor inconvenience when you take into account...............

The Story......I am blown away at this point at the amount of thought and development put into some of these story lines. Possibly even deeper than Mass Effect if that's possible. This is an adult story line with an amazing and, one would argue, somewhat accurate portrayal of our future in transhumanism and corporate ownership/control. I've read some reviews where folks said stick to the main story as there is nothing to see but that's not correct...some of the best story angles are in the side gigs. I think this Keanu Reeves performance is far better than Jon Wick!

Even the small booklets/shards you pick up are well thought out and worth reading if you want.

The story compensates for some of the lack of readily accessible features......The menu and crafting is a bit of a mess. Managing inventory in these types of games can be a bit of pain in the ass when it isn't done right. This one is wonky and hard to understand what you should be doing....For example its very easy to miss crafting armor upgrades that significantly impact your armor....you can wander around for many hours with a 30 power single piece of armor and then realize holy cow this upgrade gets me over 100.

The battle is ok and fairly enjoyable....many different approaches to take and the game doesn't penalize you too bad for maintaining balance...however you should really commit to a style as there is always an option to reset your skills.

The world itself is lofty and large....and often times devoid of interaction. Driving is also a bit sloppy which I find odd as this has been done well several times before.

Overall the game itself could have used more polish and you can tell that it was rushed out the door.....fortunately though...the story came first over some of the tweaks to the mechanics. Hopefully they continue to tweak these and they are addressed in the next gen version to be released shortly (free upgrade I hope). I am extremely happy that I gave this a second chance and will update when I am finished.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:02 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Bosc wrote:
We are looking at getting a Switch now for the Just Dance games. It would be cheaper than getting it for PC and our phones as controllers getting broken :lol:

We bought a Switch and Zelda: Breath of the Wild and the Switch is worth it just for that. We can't get the kids off it and use it as a reward for doing their homework... We also had the Just Dance games for the Xbox1 and the kids haven't looked at it in over a month.

There's a coming sequel to BotW later this year, I understand. Looking at Super Mario Odyssey next...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:34 pm 
OTP Historian

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Bosc wrote:

We bought a Switch and Zelda: Breath of the Wild and the Switch is worth it just for that. We can't get the kids off it and use it as a reward for doing their homework... We also had the Just Dance games for the Xbox1 and the kids haven't looked at it in over a month.

There's a coming sequel to BotW later this year, I understand. Looking at Super Mario Odyssey next...

Odyssey is supposed to be amazing, and BotW is an all-timer for Zelda games, isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:33 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Bosc wrote:
the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Odyssey is supposed to be amazing, and BotW is an all-timer for Zelda games, isn't it?

Most definitely.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Glad you're digging Cyberpunk. Such a controversial game when it came out originally.

I put down a deposit on a Steam Deck. Coming later this year. A portable console that plays Steam games. Basically the portable PC I've been waiting for my whole life. How could I turn that down? Reserved the middle one with 256 GB/SSD for 659$.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:13 am 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Glad you're digging Cyberpunk. Such a controversial game when it came out originally.

I put down a deposit on a Steam Deck. Coming later this year. A portable console that plays Steam games. Basically the portable PC I've been waiting for my whole life. How could I turn that down? Reserved the middle one with 256 GB/SSD for 659$.

What's your PC hardware right now?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:59 am 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

My current PC is a custom job...from 2013. First-generation SSD. I don't even remember the specs anymore, but I specifically overpaid so everything would be cutting edge for its day. Obvious getting on in years, especially memory-wise, but it played Dark Souls 2 and Batman Arkham Origins fine at the time. I don't push it anymore, but Shenmue looks great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:11 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:
E.L. wrote:

My current PC is a custom job...from 2013. First-generation SSD. I don't even remember the specs anymore, but I specifically overpaid so everything would be cutting edge for its day. Obvious getting on in years, especially memory-wise, but it played Dark Souls 2 and Batman Arkham Origins fine at the time. I don't push it anymore, but Shenmue looks great.

Up untilmy new build this month I was still rocking an i7 3770 and 8GB of RAM from my build in 2012. That PC started as a i5 2500k until I bought a used 3770 a few years back. I added SSDs and new vid cards over the years(current is 1660ti from Dec 2019). I repurposed the SSDs and video card in the new one I just built. SSDs are fine. It'd be awesome to get a new video card since I have the 4k TV with up to 120hz refresh, but not at the current prices and shortage.

New build is a AMD 5900x with 32GB of RAM. Decided to build it now instead of waiting for the new AMD chipset and DDR5 which is insanely expensive. PCIE4 isn't really being fully utilized in desktop builds even with high end cards so no need for pice5 either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:15 am 
Big in Japan

In old game news, Earthbound and its NES prequel Mother (now known as Earthbound Beginnings) are out on Switch.

Also, Chrono Cross is getting a remaster and so too is Live A Live, a long lost 90s RPG for the Super NES that only came out in Japan. The graphics were criticized at the time, but the update looks really interesting.

Good time to be an RPG fan.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:28 am 
OTP Historian

Lego Skywalker saga looks like it would be a lot of fun. Might have to get that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:28 pm 
King of Men

harmfuljays wrote:
Cyberpunk 2077....I initially bought this for the PS4 when it came off but shelved it when it would crash. A year later they seemed to have patched the bugs and I have a PS5. The game still crashes frequently...every hour or so...but the autosave feature and saving frequently plus the insanely quick load times from the PS5 make this a minor inconvenience when you take into account...............

The Story......I am blown away at this point at the amount of thought and development put into some of these story lines. Possibly even deeper than Mass Effect if that's possible. This is an adult story line with an amazing and, one would argue, somewhat accurate portrayal of our future in transhumanism and corporate ownership/control. I've read some reviews where folks said stick to the main story as there is nothing to see but that's not correct...some of the best story angles are in the side gigs. I think this Keanu Reeves performance is far better than Jon Wick!

Even the small booklets/shards you pick up are well thought out and worth reading if you want.

The story compensates for some of the lack of readily accessible features......The menu and crafting is a bit of a mess. Managing inventory in these types of games can be a bit of pain in the ass when it isn't done right. This one is wonky and hard to understand what you should be doing....For example its very easy to miss crafting armor upgrades that significantly impact your armor....you can wander around for many hours with a 30 power single piece of armor and then realize holy cow this upgrade gets me over 100.

The battle is ok and fairly enjoyable....many different approaches to take and the game doesn't penalize you too bad for maintaining balance...however you should really commit to a style as there is always an option to reset your skills.

The world itself is lofty and large....and often times devoid of interaction. Driving is also a bit sloppy which I find odd as this has been done well several times before.

Overall the game itself could have used more polish and you can tell that it was rushed out the door.....fortunately though...the story came first over some of the tweaks to the mechanics. Hopefully they continue to tweak these and they are addressed in the next gen version to be released shortly (free upgrade I hope). I am extremely happy that I gave this a second chance and will update when I am finished.

Put in a decent amount of hours on this. about 3/4 of the way through they released the free nextgen upgrade......much better, faster load times, no crashing, more activity on the street....however still some persistent game bugs. I got right to the end and the quests where you have to wait a day and then someone calls you can be a bit troublesome. You have to pass time with the wait feature and then go find an activity that will trigger the call otherwise you can run around forever waiting for it and potentially miss it.

The upgrade wasn't totally seamless as it fixed the out of control armor over power and didn't allow you to collect existing trophies. It also made you reallocate your skill points but that was fairly minimal.

Multiple endings depending on how you behaved...and really overall the story is still amazing. That's the matrix sequel that should have been!

With the potential for 100 plus hours, a price of 29.99 and a free trial on the nextgen consoles this one is a no brainer.

Finished up just in time for Elden Ring.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:35 pm 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
In old game news, Earthbound and its NES prequel Mother (now known as Earthbound Beginnings) are out on Switch.

Also, Chrono Cross is getting a remaster and so too is Live A Live, a long lost 90s RPG for the Super NES that only came out in Japan. The graphics were criticized at the time, but the update looks really interesting.

Good time to be an RPG fan.

Still waiting for someone to redo some of my lesser known favs.....Shadow Hearts, Suikoden, Xenosaga (PS2 was the king of RPGs).

I'll take Crono Cross though and of course I anxiously await the PS5 remake of the best Star Wars game of all time.......KOTR.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:47 am 
OTP Historian

Bought Elden Ring. Aaand it's limited to 60fps regardless of how good the new rig I built is :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:02 pm 
King of Men

Bosc wrote:
Bought Elden Ring. Aaand it's limited to 60fps regardless of how good the new rig I built is :lol:

I haven't started it yet. I didn't like Dark Souls at all (too f'n hard) so I read a bit about this and folks said it was a bit more accessible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 699 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next